Hanging doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this question won't start a 'sharpening style' riot....
When hanging doors how do you place your hinges?
Do you line up the edge of the hinge leaf with the edge of the door, thus leaving all of the hinge barrel protruding, or do you set the leaf inboard?
I was taught to fold the hinge back on itself, offer it up to the edge of the door and then mark it, as in the first photo below.
All opinions gratefully received.

Attachments

• 2013-11-21 15.27.18.jpg
    2013-11-21 15.27.18.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 2013-11-21 15.26.29.jpg
    2013-11-21 15.26.29.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 201
The top pic is nearly right. Spin the hinge over so it looks upside down. Then push it over till the knuckle touches the door and knife round.

Second pic is the way I was thought in college then the opposite leaf has gaps aswel and that's what you line on the frame keeps them the same

#2 Where are those hinges from, Magnets by any chance? They do ball bearing hinges that look terrible when on, they look similar to those.......oops

Pic 2 too. But I was brought up to hang with a half knuckle and whole knuckle so the leaf didn’t hang open,. It could also be hung with the opposite so the door hung open for say a kitchen door......carrying food through and that sort of thing. Cannot see the pins but it is the correct face to the jamb as shown. Best wishes.

Neither first or second but the same as Mar-mite , But i dont think it makes much difference which way its done as long as they look like they grew there.

Cheers Bern.

If you want a door to want to stay open, either keep the top hinge about 1mm "out" from plumb or fix the lining same,
or wanting it to close, keep the bottom hinge "out" from plumb.
The heavier the door the more pronounced the gentle "swing"
Regards Rodders

Back