Cabinet hinge for über thick doors...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gairym

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening folks,

I'm building a lovely big oak unit and the doors have some unusual features that require some hinges that are proving tricky to find.

The doors are 20mm thick for the most part with a raised live edge feature that weaves along the whole length of the unit (so 45mm thick at those points).

See one of the doors in the photo below:

1000015645.jpg

They sit inside the carcass and half-overlap where they'll be attached to the vertical interior panels and are closely spaced so as to not spoil the continuous grain/feature elements of the door panels.

What I need are hinges that extend sufficiently before/while they open so that the protruding live edge elements don't bash together.

Most 'thick door' hinges (Blum etc... only go up to 32mm) and I'm struggling to find anything that'll do it.

I'm pretty damn sure I'm not asking the impossible - anyone got any ideas?????

HELP!

Any/all info, assistance and help very much appreciated in advance...

Cheers, Gairy.

Evening folks,

I'm building a lovely big oak unit and the doors have some unusual features that require some hinges that are proving tricky to find.

The doors are 20mm thick for the most part with a raised live edge feature that weaves along the whole length of the unit (so 45mm thick at those points).

See one of the doors in the photo below:

View attachment 160795

They sit inside the carcass and half-overlap where they'll be attached to the vertical interior panels and are closely spaced so as to not spoil the continuous grain/feature elements of the door panels.

What I need are hinges that extend sufficiently before/while they open so that the protruding live edge elements don't bash together.

Most 'thick door' hinges (Blum etc... only go up to 32mm) and I'm struggling to find anything that'll do it.

I'm pretty damn sure I'm not asking the impossible - anyone got any ideas?????

HELP!

Any/all info, assistance and help very much appreciated in advance...

Cheers, Gairy.
Have you got another picture with the door in the face frame?

Projects like this should be designed with available ironmongery in mind otherwise you run into problems.

I can’t really see what the problem is unless they’re hinged on the central divider and need to open like a butterfly?

Projects designed around hardware? I agree completely.....now. But that ship has sailed.

I'm my defence the brief changed multiple times and so I moved forwards knowing I've seen projects with similar limitations and requirements and so charged ahead confident the hinges would be easy to source 🤦🏻

And the problem is that all regular cabinet hinges don't extent far enough out to enable the protruding live edge elements to avoid needing to inhabit the same space at the same time 🤠

No, no need to have multiple doors open simultaneously (though that would lovely) as that feels like asking too much.

But the middle two doors (of four) do open into each other and that's where the problem lies).

I just need the hinge to shift the door out and round with sufficient clearance to clear as it would with square 45mm doors.

Last edited:
Projects designed around hardware? I agree completely.....now. But that ship has sailed.

I'm my defence the brief changed multiple times and so I moved forwards knowing I've seen projects with similar limitations and requirements and so charged ahead confident the hinges would be easy to source 🤦🏻

And the problem is that all regular cabinet hinges don't extent far enough out to enable the protruding live edge elements to avoid needing to inhabit the same space at the same time 🤠

No, no need to have multiple doors open simultaneously (though that would lovely) as that feels like asking too much.

I just need the hinge to shift the door out and round with sufficient clearance to clear as it would with square 45mm doors.
I understand, there’s more than one cabinet in a run.

To further compound your problem, a hinge that pushes your door out to clear the one on the hinge side might bind with the one on the lock side.

Would you have room to put a spacer strip in between the cabinets?

Last edited:
A type of parliament hinge will do it but not sure it would look great and I can see the need for the continuous look if the wavey handle bit. I like the design by the way.
A normal pivot hinge came to mind at first but wont work.
There is another style of hinge that may work but I cannot remember the name of them, they are top and bottom mounted like a pivot hinge but as they open the pins of the pivot move in a little track, so the door swings away from the frame more as it opens giving clearance. They are a bit like the friction hinges in a modern window.

I will try and remember the name of them...

There may be a model of SOSS concealed hinge that might do it, I use them on butterfly table leaves but they are mounted on the end of each leaf. With your design the doors are overlaid so I am not sure it would work.

Or maybe these H95TSH-F | TORQUE CONCEALED HINGE | Furniture, Architectural, Marine Hardware | Japanese Manufacturer | LAMP | Sugatsune UK or these
https://global.sugatsune.com/uk/en/arch/products/115974_a?category=200814Maybe you can turn off the torque function the second ones look like they have a big throw on them.

Ollie

Last edited:
A type of parliament hinge will do it but not sure it would look great and I can see the need for the continuous look if the wavey handle bit. I like the design by the way.
A normal pivot hinge came to mind at first but wont work.
There is another style of hinge that may work but I cannot remember the name of them, they are top and bottom mounted like a pivot hinge but as they open the pins of the pivot move in a little track, so the door swings away from the frame more as it opens giving clearance. They are a bit like the friction hinges in a modern window.

I will try and remember the name of them...

There may be a model of SOSS concealed hinge that might do it, I use them on butterfly table leaves but they are mounted on the end of each leaf. With your design the doors are overlaid so I am not sure it would work.

Or maybe these H95TSH-F | TORQUE CONCEALED HINGE | Furniture, Architectural, Marine Hardware | Japanese Manufacturer | LAMP | Sugatsune UK or these
https://global.sugatsune.com/uk/en/arch/products/115974_a?category=200814Maybe you can turn off the torque function the second ones look like they have a big throw on them.

Ollie

A Parliament hinge would stick out in 8 places and ruin the lines completely.

Not sure about those others, I'll look into the specs, thanks!

I've just about finished a project with 90mm thick doors. The solution I found is to use pivot hinges, set in from the edge of the door by about 100 mm. I had to sculpt out curved recesses in the elements nex to the doors to allow them to open, plus the shelves are a bit wierd!
However, it does work very well looks-wise.

I've just about finished a project with 90mm thick doors. The solution I found is to use pivot hinges, set in from the edge of the door by about 100 mm. I had to sculpt out curved recesses in the elements nex to the doors to allow them to open, plus the shelves are a bit wierd!
However, it does work very well looks-wise.
Not sure I fully follow, got any pictures as it sounds very interesting?

It's all taken apart for finishing at the moment- the attached is the only photo I have. There are three doors- the right hand one is open and you can see the edge. The other two make up most of the long run of ribs.

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Back