Hand planing advice....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Wouldchuck'
Lots of advice given here I see, some good some??? Keep that iron face flat on your stones and get it to a mirror finish.
Try a clean piece of (freshly planed) softwood, rub some candle on your plane base and with a strong long push with some weight applied letting the tool know who is boss here could give you a result. I am remembering here my first lesson which included where to place your feet to to provide effective "power" and the "three one thumb" rule, which applies to many more tools.
Good Luck,
dericlen.

Hello folks, very grateful for all the advice - I am afraid that time has been against me and I still have not had a chance to get to the workshop - I want to take some time on this. A particular thank you to those who have been so kind to offer hands-on help, my apologies for not having responded sooner.... my workshop is back at my parent's in Northants, and I won't now be back there until the end of the month.

I've been building a rather strange drop-leaf table thing for my narrowboat and i've now got to the point where the top needs to be flattened and smoothed, hence the hand plane practice.... I will tackle this soon once i've got the plane tuned and my eye in! more to follow....

Thanks again

Tim

Latest posts

Back