A bronze hand plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished apart from honing the blade properly and will just give brief details for those who might find it interesting as it's pretty straightforward.

After my first attempt at a dovetailed infill plane from scratch last year which was just about passable I had intended making another out of brass and steel but stumbled across a cheap bronze casting on ebay so couldn't resist.

The casting was as rough as the proverbial, far worse than I expected so using files and hand sanding (my belt sander was out of action) it took a lo....ng time to get it flattened and all the pitting and defects out, probably longer than making one from scratch also I found cutting the mouth more difficult than it was the last time on a flat piece of steel before assembly.

Wood is walnut and the screws holding it in were replaced with glue and brass screws later filed down flush, I cut the cap from 12mm brass and turned the screw from bar. The iron is an old Alex Matheson salvaged from a scrap wooden plane.

For those who like to see shavings I tried it before polishing the handles and before the blade has been honed. Reasonable results on some sapele that tends to tear out so no long curly shavings but once honed and tuned I’d expect decent results.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 09.JPG
    09.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Didn’t spot this when you posted it. Great project, I want to have a go at one one day. I would not be able to resist attempting to make the chassis though.

Didn’t spot this when you posted it. Great project, I want to have a go at one one day. I would not be able to resist attempting to make the chassis though.
My first attempt last year was from scrap steel all cut with a hacksaw, dovetail joints etc and it came out pretty well for a first project. Hard work using just hacksaws, files and hand sanding but very satisfying, have a go, you'll enjoy the project.

My first attempt last year was from scrap steel all cut with a hacksaw, dovetail joints etc and it came out pretty well for a first project. Hard work using just hacksaws, files and hand sanding but very satisfying, have a go, you'll enjoy the project.
It’s on my list. I know it’s cheating but I have a milling machine with a dovetail cutter. That would make the main construction of the chassis considerably easier and less error prone. I’ve made a lot of wooden planes but never a metal one. Tempting!

It’s on my list. I know it’s cheating but I have a milling machine with a dovetail cutter. That would make the main construction of the chassis considerably easier and less error prone. I’ve made a lot of wooden planes but never a metal one. Tempting!
Definitely not quite hand made then but who cares :)

@steve355 if your efforts making your planes is anything to go by the I await with interest your results in metal - you obviously are incredibly skilled and talented..!

@steve355 if your efforts making your planes is anything to go by the I await with interest your results in metal - you obviously are incredibly skilled and talented..!
It’s very nice of you to say so but nothing could be further from the truth. The only thing I am is persistent.

Has to be better than my metalworking. The dovetails aren't exactly tight. :LOL: It does make nice shavings though and was made from salvaged rusty steel of unknown grade.

EDIT
Must get around to turning a proper screw istead of that one made from an old brass plumbing fitting. ;)

Attachments

• 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back