3D Printed Rake Angle Rig for Saw Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halyon881

Reaction score
I want to get the Veritas File jig for doing this, but it's nearly €70 delivered here. A bit too expensive. I haven't had much success with the file jammed in a block of wood approach either. The file keeps falling out, and I am not consistent with the angles.
I found reddit user u/thehackberrys post with the laser cut guides he made. Problem is, I don't have access to a laser cutter, but I do a 3D printer at work. So I converted the file into an STL. It came out bigger than I expected, but will work.
Tapped the holes for a 5mm bolt. I don't expect the plastic threads to last long, but it will do for a while. I can epoxy a nut in if needs be.
Fleam angle is much easier, I just printed out a guide at 15 ° and slipped it between the vice jaws.
One issue is that my saw vice is restricting me from using the whole of the file. I will plane the jaws back at a sharp angle to overcome this.
Stl file here https://fastupload.io/M1xDWahJwNVevUm/file

Attachments

• IMG_20230913_135010.jpg
    IMG_20230913_135010.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230913_135454_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230913_135454_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230913_140425_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230913_140425_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • VID_20230913_140428.mp4
    11 MB
Here's the saw I am working on. Made in Drogheda in County Louth. Trying to convert to a crosscut saw. Think I paid a tenner for it a few years ago.

IMG_20230913_135151.jpg

Thanks for your contribution.

Are you aware that by providing (just) an STL, all anyone can do is to duplicate what you have? If it were possible to upload a .STEP file, that has a lot more potential for modification.

Thanks for your contribution.

Are you aware that by providing (just) an STL, all anyone can do is to duplicate what you have? If it were possible to upload a .STEP file, that has a lot more potential for modification.
Hi, I am afraid that I don't have a .STEP file. I just crudely took the SVG file that the original person posted on Reddit and used an online converter to change it to a STL. My work has a 3d printer and I used that to print. The whole idea was borne from my reluctance to pay 70 quid for the Veritas jig, which is probably a great tool.
I can see the potential of learning Fusion 360, and its on my to do list. I am familiar with 2D AutoCad in a previous job, so it should be manageable. However, I already spend most of my day on a computer, and do hand tool woodworking to get away from that. If I could finagle a training course out of work that would solve the issue.
I understand where you are coming from, there are so many STL files on Thingiverse that are not quite suitable for my situation. It would be great to be able to tweak them.

Back