• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Found 3d printed guide.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1275gt

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly apologies of this isn't the right section of the forum or not appropriate.

I wanted to ask if any members here would be able to 3D print me a rudimentary square edge guide for my bench grinder tool rest.

I'm thinking something what looks similar to the Sorby square edge jig a platform with a lip on the top edge to hook and slide across my grinder tool rest and then a fence perpendicular to the top edge to act as a fence for my tools.

Of course I would reimburse you for time, materials and postage.

I know there are companies which do jobs like this but rather pay someone in this community if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Your big problem here will be the tool heating up and melting the guide. Sadly I don't think this is one for printing.

You mean one of these?

1686654348380.png

As noted by LancsRick; 3D printing is probably not the best application for this.

I do have the above jig, and various offcuts of steel and aluminium so could probably knock up a copy on the milling machine. The question is; would you want a fixed lip in the middle of the underside for a slot in your grinder table (like the picture above), or a lip/hook on the edge of the bottom (to slide along the rear of your table)? Would you want the lip on the top to be adjustable like on the Sorby jig?

Your big problem here will be the tool heating up and melting the guide. Sadly I don't think this is one for printing.
I'm not too familiar with the variety of plastics available with 3d printing so thank you for your advice I am using a CBN wheel which keeps heat a bit lower.

You mean one of these?

View attachment 160785

As noted by LancsRick; 3D printing is probably not the best application for this.

I do have the above jig, and various offcuts of steel and aluminium so could probably knock up a copy on the milling machine. The question is; would you want a fixed lip in the middle of the underside for a slot in your grinder table (like the picture above), or a lip/hook on the edge of the bottom (to slide along the rear of your table)? Would you want the lip on the top to be adjustable like on the Sorby jig?
That's very kind of you.

I would prefer the lip at the bottom and an adjustable fence would be good incase my tool rest is not square to the wheel.

I measured up the original Sorby jig, and this is the approximate size/layout:

jig1.jpg

I assume you want the lip on the bottom to be to the rear of the jig; as shown below?

jig2.jpg

If the above is roughly the right size I'll have a look at what bits of stock I have and see what I can knock together.

Yes lip at the bottom as I don't have the groove in the tool rest.

Those measurements seem to be fine I've never handled the Sorby in jig in person though.

I measured my tool rest if it helps

5mmx70mmx100mm

Thank you again.

@1275gt

Done.

I screwed a piece onto the bottom of the plate (held with Loctite) as I didn't have any material thick enough to mill down to create the raised lip from a single solid piece.

The moveable bar has a slot for a little bit of adjustment, and hopefully all the edges of the base plate should be acceptably parallel or square (as appropriate) to the face of the lip that will ride along the tool rest table.

The size was dictated by available offcuts, and has turned out to be just over 70mm deep and just under 100mm wide.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll pop it in the post in the next few days.

20230618_123443.jpg

20230618_123718.jpg

@1275gt

Done.

I screwed a piece onto the bottom of the plate (held with Loctite) as I didn't have any material thick enough to mill down to create the raised lip from a single solid piece.

The moveable bar has a slot for a little bit of adjustment, and hopefully all the edges of the base plate should be acceptably parallel or square (as appropriate) to the face of the lip that will ride along the tool rest table.

The size was dictated by available offcuts, and has turned out to be just over 70mm deep and just under 100mm wide.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll pop it in the post in the next few days.

View attachment 161132
View attachment 161133
That looks fantastic ! PM sent.

Thank you !

Back