Hand-cut looking machine-made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By comparison Sydney summers (where I lived 18 years ago) are in the high 20s (Centigrade) but with very high humidity. Not pleasant at all.

It must be global warming (or a typo :whistle:) because now typical Sydney summers are high 30's (Centigrade/Celsius) with high humidity. We typically get a couple of days over 40 degrees each summer but not too many. I think 42 degrees was about the hottest we got last summer.

It's the middle of winter here at the moment and we're getting temps into the high teens, occasionally breaking through the 20 barrier. We had a day of 23 a week or two back which was nice for winter.

My house is only about 150 metres from the ocean so the salt air combined with the high humidity of the Sydney summer can be a real problem in terms of tools rusting. #-o

Have no idea how you cope with 41 deg ......

David

That is about average for summer in Perth! Many days around 43 degrees C. I guess it is all in the level of humidity. Here it is very low, around 10% or less, so the heat is dry. I do not have any problem with tools rusting inspite of living near the Swan River. By comparison Sydney summers (where I lived 18 years ago) are in the high 20s (Centigrade) but with very high humidity. Not pleasant at all. What I find hard to handle is the cold. We have had little rain this winter with clear skies and sunshine - but it gets to about 15-18 degrees (Centigrade) and around 3 degrees in the morning and at night. Try holding a chisel wearing mittens!

I have spent much of my life surfing and windsurfing but I just could not imagine doing so in the UK. Do you still surf?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I live in a surfing town in the North of England! I can comfirm that although it's been very hot recently, the surfers go out no matter what the condition.

Keefaz":3m8hinb1 said:
I live in a surfing town in the North of England! I can comfirm that although it's been very hot recently, the surfers go out no matter what the condition.

I was down at my local beach last week and there were people in the water swimming. It was 17 deg. C that day which a Sydneysider would usually say is a bit cold for swimming. Interestingly though, the temperature of the ocean here at the moment is about 19 deg. C so it was actually warmer in the water.

During summer here the water temp in the ocean gets to about 22 or 23 deg. C.

Mirboo":24tgdcxx said:
Keefaz":24tgdcxx said:

I was down at my local beach last week and there were people in the water swimming. It was 17 deg. C that day which a Sydneysider would usually say is a bit cold for swimming. Interestingly though, the temperature of the ocean here at the moment is about 19 deg. C so it was actually warmer in the water.

I think if the water ever got to 19 deg. here, the surfers would have to start abandoning their double-thickness wetsuits to keep cool.

Not really surfing any more, did it for about 35 years, and never got very good, but it was fun.

Used to surf all through the winter but the ice cream headaches were not fun. Don't know how those tough people, who surf the reef at Thursoe do it. Best waves in Uk in winter?

David C":10xvwym1 said:
Not really surfing any more, did it for about 35 years, and never got very good, but it was fun.

Used to surf all through the winter but the ice cream headaches were not fun. Don't know how those tough people, who surf the reef at Thursoe do it. Best waves in Uk in winter?

Generally, although we have the British Surf Championships coming here in early October, but that may be down to weather for spectators rather than optimum surfing conditions.

Ah Deirdre, you remind me of my 10 year sojourn living in Houston, Texas.

The most miserable hot, humid, enervating climate I've ever lived in. Never again. And to top it all the land's as flat as a pancake and as boring as sin. Plenty going on in Houston, although it's too hot for most of the year to do anything.

I was mighty glad to move back to the UK to get away from the heat and to experience four seasons a year again instead of Houstons' two-- summer (Nov-Feb) and Somewhere South of Hades (March- October, ha, ha-- ha, ha, ha.

Oh, I suppose I should comment on the topic in hand, but here in the UK right now it's too darned hot! Slainte.

I am not sure how this relates to handcut joints - although I have built or repaired many surfboards and windsurfers with handtools. I do find it unnecessary to use a sliding dovetail or a mortice-and-tenon joint ... all one requires is a dollop of epoxy resin. It seems in this world butt joints rule. As do rasps - I find my block plane tends to clog cutting the 'styrene endgrain. :lol:

Richard, if you experienced Houston as flat, I'm afraid that you would feel the same way about Perth. There is a wonderful coastline, however, and forests and vineyards down south. Margarets River is a duplicate of Hawaii when it comes to big waves. I do miss the mountains of my childhood in Cape Town.

David, I long since passed from surfing to windsurfing (inwhich I competed more enthusiastically than successfully on the local circuit). The advantage is that I don't fall into the water as much, so stay reasonably dry and warm. I do think that you'd like the Perth waters - Indian Ocean and like a warm bath some days.

Regards from Perth

Derek

David C":7su4il0m said:
Keefaz, you post no location, would that be near Newquay ?
Poor fellow seems to be Ooop North - Tynemouth Longsands is the British Surfing Championship venue this year.

Cheers, Alf

Who likes watching surfers fall in, but that's about it. :oops: :lol:

David, I long since passed from surfing to windsurfing (inwhich I competed more enthusiastically than successfully on the local circuit). The advantage is that I don't fall into the water as much, so stay reasonably dry and warm. I do think that you'd like the Perth waters - Indian Ocean and like a warm bath some days.

Y :lol: our a windsurfer ! How about that. ....I was too once....in my teens I just loved it. Couldn't get enough of it. Used to sail back and forth in Mortain Bay of wellington point every weekend. Stay out all day.....come home badly sunburn't. I had a 4.7m2 and a 5.7m2 Neil Pride 'wave' sails and a 'windaction' slalom board, that I proudly bought from working on a milk run... miss those days

so if i get this right,

you have to have played in the water with strange boards and sails
to be able to spend the rest of your life using hand tools and
making joints by hand which replicate machine made joints?? :oops: :?

is it the water that gets on your brain when you tip into the water,
or is it those rubber suits that you all wear??? :lol: :lol:

no seriously, it is interesting how many of you who love using hand tools
seem to love jumping on silly bits of fibreboard in the water.
kind of like those of us who are nutty enough to want and like motorbikes.

now the only question is did we ever find out whether anyone had an
answer to alf's question :twisted: :twisted:

paul :wink:

The brain cells or inclinations were probably dubious before the salt water got to them.

The black rubber is more a survival strategy than a fetish.

Heard this once; Cabinetmaking, "the last resting place of all reprobates"

David, who also toyed with windsurfing, biking, and blowing trunnions half way through his leg during the black powder and mediaeval cannon design research stage. aged 13yrs.

David C":1t2okhq8 said:
The brain cells or inclinations were probably dubious before the salt water got to them.

The black rubber is more a survival strategy than a fetish.

David, who also toyed with windsurfing, biking, and blowing trunnions half way through his leg during the black powder and mediaeval cannon design research stage. aged 13yrs.

David,

The more posts I read of yours, the more fun you seem. I have to admit that last bit sounds painful, though.

David C":h55wri12 said:

Nah. That can't be right, David. I thought that was for incorrigible rugby players, such as myself, a proud member of Boroughmuir RFC Reprobates.

The first tenet of being a BRFC Reprobate is, "We do not play Sevens."

Second, "No kicking of the ball is permissible, except for try conversion attempts. Conversion attempts are coducted in a strict order. First conversion attempt is kicked by the player wearing number 1 on his back. Second conversion attempt is by number 2, etc.."

Third, "All kicks from hand during open play (even during desperate defensive moments) are subject to a swingeing fine-- amount to be determined by the Chief Reprobate."

Fourth, "Pre-game hospitality is port, biscuits and cheese-- in no particular order."

Fifth. "Half time refreshment consists of 1 can of beer/lager per player per team. 30 or 60 cans of beer/lager per team are acceptable half time refreshments-- chilled optional."

That'll do for now. The rest of the Reprobates code of conduct involves things like diplomatic conduct and cultural niceties in the presence of women and pretty sheep which I probably ought not to go into in detail. Slainte.

David C":3kvyflfd said:
blowing trunnions half way through his leg during the black powder and mediaeval cannon design research stage. aged 13yrs.
Cor, never would have pegged you for a dabbler in explosions, Mr C. Quite the eye-opener this thread is turning out to be... :shock:

Sgian Dubh":3kvyflfd said:
RFC Reprobates
Surely this is tautologous...? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

engineer one":2mrs6qhi said:
no seriously, it is interesting how many of you who love using hand tools
seem to love jumping on silly bits of fibreboard in the water.
kind of like those of us who are nutty enough to want and like motorbikes.

Some of the true "manually operated" fans amongst prefer rather lighter, more elegant (but slower) bikes.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... ritish.htm

BugBear (own of a late 1960's lugless fixed Claud Butler, inter alia)

Alf":q87tlsfg said:
Sgian Dubh":q87tlsfg said:
RFC Reprobates
Surely this is tautologous...?Cheers, Alf

Hmm, there is a difference Alf. Reasonably sober rugby players that are dedicated to their sport and to fair play have a chance of redemption.

The Reprobates sub-section of the club are probably beyond saviour-- eternally damned.

As to your original post, I don't see much point in trying to make hand work look like machine work.

They're generally two different ways to get to a similar end result, i.e., furniture (woodwork) that works. Slainte.

Second, "No kicking of the ball is permissible, except for try conversion attempts. Conversion attempts are coducted in a strict order. First conversion attempt is kicked by the player wearing number 1 on his back. Second conversion attempt is by number 2, etc.."

Richard

How clever! Of course the subtle meaning here will be lost on our American cousins who have missed out on the fine game of rugby ("gentlemen playing a ruffian's game"), since they only know of football, or soccer ("ruffians plating a gentleman's game"). The (reversed) order of taking kicks by the BRFC Reprobates is indeed a thumbing of the nose at the establishment.

Regards from Perth

Derek (ex-#15, fullback and kicker Extrordinaire)

bugbear":2usisvtn said:
BugBear (own of a late 1960's lugless fixed Claud Butler, inter alia)

Ah, not as good as my Allin, Stan Butler Special, which I had made in 1970. Track ends, round front forks, Campag Pista chainset and pedals, Cinelli steel stem and madison bars, fixed wheel (of course!). Nice bike - pity about the legs :lol:

Paul

Latest posts

Back