Hamlet Grinding Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a system sorted for sharpening my gouges and other woodturning tools when I came across this...

jigonown.jpg

It is available with a longer bar too like this...

cjig3.jpg

My question is, "anyone got any experience with either of these?"

which one would suit me most?

here's the Hamlet website...

http://www.hamletcrafttools.com/

Have not seen this jig before, I have just viewed Mick Hanburys DVD on making boxes, he demonstrates his own jig which is similar lines to the Hamlets. It is basically two pieces of box section steel one runs inside the other for length adjustment, and the chistle handle sits in a cup at the end of the box section. (looks like the old ducking stool)
It looks to be a good tool and simple to use, you could contact him on his web site if you are interested.
Sorry I don't have a picture to show you.
Dave

I think Jimmy Clewes demonstrates the use of this jig on his Turnabout DVD it seems to work well for him. Saying that there a plenty of other jigs/systems out there that work on a similar principle with the extending bar and pivot, Trugrind and Wolverine systems spring to mind I'm not completely sure but I think they are both able to sharpen a greater range of chisels than the Hamlet jig. Not sure how they compare on cost though.

Dave

I've not used it but it looks like it's trying to be different for the sake of it. It's hard to make a recommendation as they all kinda do the same thing. I'm using the Sorby system on my slow speed cruessen grinder and I can't fault it. But one day I'll probably either switch to a Sorby ProEdge System or go for a wolverine and an 8 inch slow speed grinder. If you're not into making your own, then I'd say go for the sorby system. It's easy to use and setup and IIRC was about the cheapest.

Latest posts

Back