Wolverine sharpening system with Vari-grind

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleemtaibjee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Anyone had any experience of using the Wolverine system with Vari-grind attachment for sharpening bowl gouges? How does it compare to the Tormek jigs?

They are not identical.
I searched for the detailed jig settings to replicate an Ellsworth factory grind using the Tormek / Sorby jigs. I concluded that you simply can't.

The Ellsworth is made with a jig like the Wolverine varijig - instuctions on how to make a DIY version are shipped with it. The other systems can be adjusted to make "Irish" grinds but not that specific geometry.

Does it matter ? I very much doubt it. It's just a rabbit hole I fell into once.

If you do bowls and will mostly use gouges, a grinder, cbn wheel and wolverine are a nice system.
A pro edge is probably most versatile for different turning and other tools.
A tormek is better for planes and chisels but too slow for turners.

I use the Vari-grind gouge holder (because I got it cheap) in conjunction with King Heiple's grinder stand & metal arms bought from Ebay.
The Tormek is too slow for re-profiling where a lot of metal has to be removed.
It is possible to use the Tormek jig with a bench grinder & the result should be much the same as with the Vari-grind as both jigs have 3 settings. Gouge protrusion, jig pivot angle & distance from the wheel.
Some gouge holders have a fixed angle so the only adjustments are gouge protrusion & distance from the wheel.

Attachments

• King Heiple's Grinder Jig.pdf
    214 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back