Green Oak Porch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The porch looks fantastic ! Nice to see all the joints come together. I particularly like that you've let the ends of the tenon into the joining timber so you don't see any day light when it shrinks- I'm gonna borrow that idea.
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I made 2 more pairs of rafters. The free standing ones have a bridle joint at the top, but the ones planted on the face of the porch have a halving joint (lap joint):

8nOAFQZ.jpg

NGQDXTF.jpg

KkTGIka.jpg

Once everything was pegged, I could proceed to battens. I did the slate undercloak at the same time. I am not felting this roof. You'll be able to look up and see the underside of the tiles:

8FZpvg6.jpg

The whole point of building the porch now was so that I could get the render carrier board on and the render done before winter arrives. Once I sorted the membrane out, I did the boards up the roof junction with the wall, some window surrounds, and then some battens above:

SwtAymY.jpg

Wonderful post, loved all the detail you've put in, including the mistakes. We makers can see them as we made them but very few ever spot them. Thank you for the post and I'd be one of those folk stopping whilst going by to pester you for info :roll: :mrgreen: =D>

A very nice porch but I don't think the corrugated PVC cladding does it justice. Have you really thought this through properly? :?

whiskywill":1bpgiiua said:
A very nice porch but I don't think the corrugated PVC cladding does it justice. Have you really thought this through properly? :?

:lol: :D

Really? What, you want me to........oh, I dunno.......maybe stick some leaded lights in there, or something? Jeez, some people have no taste....... :lol:

Thanks Brian.

Here is a photo from today showing the render carrier board going on the front of the house in preparation for lime rendering in a week or so.

9AcdZ8e.jpg

Has to be one of the prettiest porch I've ever seen !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The old part of the house is now ready for lime rendering, bar the top of the gables, although getting some gutters on will probably help too:

oBolBv4.jpg

Wow! I'd missed this thread - now I feel tired just looking at the pictures.
Are your team of helpers all camera shy? Or are you really heaving those great lumps of oak around on your own?

Fascinating stuff. Notwithstanding the occasional c̶o̶c̶k̶u̶p̶ redesign challenge, it must be really satisfying to do.

Helpers? That'll be the day. Well, OK, there's a regular supplier of tea and biscuits........ I've done the entire house myself, which is why it isn't finished yet. Oh, and compared to some of the internal oak work, those bits of timber are like matchsticks.

Back