Grateful Gloat (!?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
A while ago Ian Dalziel was asking for help with his photography. Many people (including me) posted tips.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... w=previous

I also emailed a few things privately to Ian; the sort of stuff I've posted many times to several forums.

Ian decided that I deserved recompense for this (I disagreed, but Ian insisted, and he's a big lad...) Ian offered to make me ... virtually anything!

I requested than Ian make me a version of Robert Wearing's dovetail marking template (Making Woodwork Aids and Devices, pp 49-51)

The heart of this design is a full triangular template, which allows the marking of both sides of the DT at one placement (on the centre line of the DT); the size of the DT is controlled by the vertical position of the "stock" on the template.

After exchanging a few design emails, Ian went to his workshop (when he wasn't out at sea, that is).

Recently I received a very heavy parcel... it contained not one, but two of these gadgets, one for 1:5 DT's and one for 1:7.

(this is the 1:7 version)
http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images ... ge_id=3991
http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images ... ge_id=3992

Just to emphasise, I continue to think that Ian never owed me these wonderful tools; but I am very grateful that he saw fit to make them for me.

And I'm just awestruck by the quality of the engineering.

BugBear

You lucky boy. :mrgreen:

Guess Ian does not have any worries about how he is going to spend his time when he joins us wrinklies.

They are superb and the gesture is to be admired. If only there were more people in the world with such generosity of spirit.

dedee":3notybpf said:
They do look gorgeous.
I can't quite make out the inscription though

The lower left one on the front of the template (which I ironically struggled to photograph) says "Dalziel".

The one on the stock says (in an elaborate typeface) BUGBEAR.

BugBear (still rather stunned)

Bravo! Well done to both of you!

Adam

Coo, ain't they laaaaarvely. =P~ You lucky man Bugbear!

Ian, are you going into production by any chance? [-o<

Ian, would you like me to critique your photographs??

I love that hand-made infill jointer of yours, BTW.... :wink:

BB, just a thought when seeing Ian's lovely gauge - would it be even better if a central alignment mark were scribed on the visible surface of the adjustable block, which would be adjacent to the (marked) wood when using the jig - it would be easier to get lined up that way. Of course, this requires that the block can't slop side to side when adjusted, but stays central. Somehow, I get the idea that 'slop' is a word not in Ian's vocabulary when making these things :) so it would probably be fine.

I'm practicing DTs at the moment - might try to make a similar gauge from some paxolin sheet that is lying about. Marking the darned things really does show up my scribing technique!

cheers

Miles

Miles968":3s537c9r said:
BB, just a thought when seeing Ian's lovely gauge - would it be even better if a central alignment mark were scribed on the visible surface of the adjustable block,
Miles

Already done; in truth (sorry Ian) it was on the design drawings, but got forgotten.

It was easy to add.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back