Chatsworth.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.R

Established Member
Reaction score
I was at Chatsworth House yesterday and, peering into a bedroom, I was completely awestruck !

But before we get to that, I thought you might like to see this. For sure, it's not wood but the Liesegang rings in the local stone that makes up the North Gate are as remarkable as they are beautiful and have the feel of some exotic and ancient specie.

1472-F51-A-F774-4-E69-A9-AF-ED972490-E6-BE-1-201-a.jpg

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. The bedroom. Or more importantly, the bed.

An enormous, sinuous, contemporary, sculptural, epiphany in steamed (perhaps) and laminated ash. It was jaw drop moment.

The designer is Joseph Walsh, an Irishman working in County Cork and of course there is much about him and his workshop on the internet but still, he has completely passed me by. It's all too easy to miss what's going on around you in our world when I've got my head down, concentrating hard at what's in front of me. It makes me realise I should look up and look around a bit more often to see what others are doing.

Here're some details...

https://josephwalshstudio.com/product/magnus/
3820171-D-7-F1-D-4-ABD-B405-C69-E6-DBB1586.jpg

And another bed.

Screenshot-2022-11-30-at-09-00-08.png

The odd chair.

Screenshot-2022-11-30-at-09-06-02.png

To be honest Chatsworth gives me the creeps. It's basically an astronomical display of wealth and power. The accumulated product of millions of people who did (still doing) all the work over 100s of years but were not wealthy at all themselves - in fact most likely quite the opposite.
Those chairs are a bit weird - somehow conjured up creepy idea of skin coloured human shapes with their knickers half down. Maybe it's just me. :unsure:
Haddon Hall just down the road is much more interesting, though still a power statement it has a more human scale.

Last edited:
No doubt these huge houses mean different things to different people. Part of the enjoyment for me is the joinery and you'll find me in dark corners peering at skirting boards and floors.

I am in awe of what my forbears achieved without electricity, working in candle light and with waxed paper in their window frames. I go to pay homage.

If Chatsworth gives you the willies, don't visit Versailles, I beg thee.

Those beds must have cost a bit..... I'd like to tap into the uber rich market 🤣

@Jacob , Where did the knickers bit come from?? 😆😁

No doubt these huge houses mean different things to different people. Part of the enjoyment for me is the joinery and you'll find me in dark corners peering at skirting boards and floors.

I am in awe of what my forbears achieved without electricity, working in candle light and with waxed paper in their window frames. I go to pay homage.

If Chatsworth gives you the willies, don't visit Versailles, I beg thee.
Absolutely! Nothing gives me more pleasure than running my hand over a 200 yo table surface, peering at the quality of the joints. Yep, paying homage.

@Jacob , Where did the knickers bit come from?? 😆😁
Flesh coloured curvaceous wood, the white bits like knickers down to the knees but uncovering the behind. Struck me instantaneously and I can't shake it off!

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 09.07.10.png

Joseph Walsh is well known here in Ireland and these are among his smaller pieces. He makes 'studio furniture ' mainly for the gallery market. Great to look at but I'm not sure about comfort. :rolleyes:

I love Chatsworth, some amazing joinery can be seen - and what about some of the carving.... unbelievable - for me it's not about the wealth but the opportunity to appreciate the 'craftmanship' and undoubted talent of those who produced it.

Oh and for those in the know... I'm just gonna say the Violin ;-)

Padster

Flesh coloured curvaceous wood, the white bits like knickers down to the knees but uncovering the behind. Struck me instantaneously and I can't shake it off!

View attachment 148277
Maybe you could be the next big adult themed author? Instead of 50 shades of grey ( or the spinoff 50 sheds of grey ) you could write semi erotic stories of woodworking and furniture making..... it could go something like this:
" as he rubbed down her legs with wet and dry, he let out a soft whimper, for she truly was a sexy chair..... the pva dripped from her joints as he clamped her up and screwed her hard "

😆🤣😁 thats pretty good, i might have a go 😆

Latest posts

Back