Gout 😥

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That didn't exist at the time. No, she phoned the pillow manager ........... because she needed pillows.
OK so why do you think that is an issue? It must a routine in every hospital to have someone in charge of bedding and other things along the lines of "patient handling and pressure area care"

OK so why do you think that is an issue? It must a routine in every hospital to have someone in charge of bedding and other things along the lines of "patient handling and pressure area care"
Why is it an issue? Because the system worked without him. Yet another tier of non medical staff.

Why is it an issue? Because the system worked without him. Yet another tier of non medical staff.
But the porters are a tier of non medical staff.
Apparently about half the NHS workforce are not clinically qualified. This is because about half the work is not clinical, but is necessary support in one way or another.
Shouldn't be difficult to understand that the management of beds and bedding is a massive part of the work. There would be more to it than just sending a porter off for a pillow now and then.
https://fullfact.org/health/half-nhs-not-clinically-qualified/

This is the same guy that lives on porkpies, chips and beer. He will see soon enough the beaurcracy of the NHS first hand.
Actually I've had quite a lot of experience of the NHS over the last few years - most recently a hip replacement and the year before a lens replacement. Hernia op , quad tendon break etc etc.
Nothing to do with my diet of porkpies, chips and beer!
Bureaucracy was utterly minimal and worked like a machine. Frequent appointment reminders by text or email.
Max 2 nights in hospital (excellent pillow management!) - they get you in and out as fast as possible. The big problem here is for people needing after care as these services have been run down and privatised in the interests of "efficiency" i.e. tax saving. Care homes became a get rich scheme for a number of years but now are very inadequate and cause huge delays.
My personal worst detail was the food which had been contracted out and privatised.
Also they keep waking you up in the night and asking if you want a cup of tea or anything - checking blood pressure and seeing if you are still alive etc. :rolleyes:
Total cost over 13 years zero, except paying for a sock fitting device and a grabber after my hip op. Odd really because crutches were free. Another bit of crackpot and pointless privatisation probably.
PS my first experience included ambulance rescue in heavy snow, which was quick and efficient. No charges, zero bureaucracy.

Last edited:
A delayed response - but relevant

My gout kicked off big time this week - and there were none of the normal triggers.

I reckon the issue is dehydration - I have fans running 24/7 in the heat so I lose water through perspiration, not the kidneys - so the uric acid builds up in toe rather than urine.

So fellow sufferers in the heat - up your water intake!

Gout is a a form of inflammatory arthritis and I had mine diagnosed some 30 years ago, it eventually got that severe I had my big toe joint fused in 2019. Unfortunately the metal plate they fitted to support it caused that much discomfort I had to have it removed 12 months later. I still get pain and discomfort now though 🙄.

I have been lucky I guess- I used to get it pretty badly but after being prescribed allopurinol I have been pretty much gout free for years but as you say - dehydration is a trigger for a recurrence

Dehydration and sugars are my triggers, I finally gave in and started the daily allopurinol, blood tests were taken and I was told to increase to 2 pills a day, since then I've had no problems at all.

I haven't had an attack since I had my feet cut off. :LOL:
Let's hope you don't get it anywhere else then as 'any joint can be affected by gout, but it usually affects joints towards the ends of the limbs, such as the toes, ankles, knees and fingers'.👍

When I saw the title on my daily update I thought it said Grout, must get better glasses.

Back