Gout šŸ˜„

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best to go about it is to have a Blood test for Uric acid; if elevated values get a Rx for Allopurinol &/or Cochicine..this will get rid of the uric acid crystals deposited in the joints: mainly in the toes. Painkillers are helpful till these kick in. Diet is important, keep off alcohol, red meats and offals which all increase Uric acid. Keep monitoring Uric acid values in the blood...

No it's the government which has not kept up with the funding

Not really. People are carefully checked out by the receptionists.
The problem is the opposite - too many urgent cases not being picked up soon enough due to lack of resources and the delays - the biggest cause of this being lack of care home space to free up hospital beds.
The system isn't "joined up" -literally; there's been a policy of divide and rule, privatise, new management experiments, PFI etc etc all supposedly in the interests of productivity and efficiency but having the opposite effect. You only have to listen to the nursing and medical staff and they tell us this over and over again.

Not really. There was trouble and strife when the population was tenth of the size. It's more about allocation of resources.
No. The NHS has been too well funded in the past but it led to inefficiencies and a lack of cost-effectiveness.The government started to kerb the NHS in the hope of it improving its processes but, sadlt, the NHS fought back with arguments, mostly emotional blackmail, to use the public against the governent.
The NHS cannot continue in the way it has up to now but they know that governments come and go, so they bide their time. Now the government should resume their review of services and the NHS should realise their real postions and react sensibly.

No. The NHS has been too well funded in the past but it led to inefficiencies and a lack of cost-effectiveness.The government started to kerb the NHS in the hope of it improving its processes but, sadlt, the NHS fought back with arguments, mostly emotional blackmail, to use the public against the governent.
The NHS cannot continue in the way it has up to now but they know that governments come and go, so they bide their time. Now the government should resume their review of services and the NHS should realise their real postions and react sensibly.
Pure fantasy

Because it has less impact on inflation, you are not spending anymore but just getting less tax, yes I know economics is a strange world.
But you'd have to raise the tax from somewhere else AOTBE

Pay rises for manufacturing workers lead to inflation as the cost of the manufactured products rises to cover wage increases.

Pay rises for staff like nurses are not inflationary - at least not in the NHS - but might be in BUPA if BUPA hiked rates (and if private health is in the basket).

As for this dispute - as I understand it the government grossly underestimated inflation and provided an incorrect figure to the Independent Pay Review Board.

The fix - rerun the review with the actual figures - and both sides agree to accept new findings.

The NHs bosses need to stop developing absurd roles for new positions, such as 'Internal Communications Manager' or 'Service Delivery Manager' on extortionate salaries. They need nurses and beds instead.
If they exist at all these "improvements " came from government "initiatives". The NHS and other public services have been systematically run down for years, under both the tories and Labour.

The way to overcome staff shortages is to reduce the cost involved with training, do all nurses really need a degree and the associated student loan. Also rather than gve the nurses a big payrise why not just change the tax code for nurses so they pay less tax, do something to show we value their services.
Like that idea- when you do your self assessment it is different for clergy and mpā€™s - more tax breaks for them šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø But if you do it for nurses where would the good cases stop
bettervto reinstate bursaryā€™s so nurses donā€™t pay for their degrees and stop charging them for parking where they work double shifts

If they exist at all these "improvements " came from government "initiatives". The NHS and other public services have been systematically run down for years, under both the tories and Labour.
My friend, a lifelong nurse, took early retirement the same year as her hospital employed a "pillow manager". Before him if they needed spare pillows they rang for a porter to bring them. When he was employed they had to ring him, and he rang the porter.

Today's MRD award.
What does that mean? MRD - Definition by AcronymFinder
I don't believe your "pillow manager" story!

What surprised me about the management report was that the NHS is actually under-managed.
I've always believed that there was over management but as a result of misplaced government interventions. Apparently not true, there are not enough "managers", though the term is very flexible.

More on the same lines here: Myth four: the NHS has too many managers
"The NHS in England is a Ā£100 billion-a-year-plus business. It sees 1 million patients every 36 hours, spending nearly Ā£2 billion a week. Aside from the banks, the only companies with a larger turnover in the FTSE 100 are the two global oil giants Shell and BP. If the NHS were a country it would be around the thirtieth largest in the world.
If anything, our analysis seems to suggest that the NHS, particularly given the complexity of health care, is under- rather than over-managed."

Last edited:
MRD. Mandy Rice Davies. You never believe anything that doesn't suit your politics, so that doesn't surprise me one one iota. Incidentally he was paid more than she was.
I don't believe that either. It sounds likes a very silly story probably emanating from something trivial, probably just a joke.
I imagine a porter going past with pillows saying "make way for the pillow manager" and being overheard by a Daily Mail reader. :rolleyes:
OTOH it could be an exaggeration of this essential function https://www.supplychain.nhs.uk/prod...rief/patient-handling-and-pressure-area-care/

Last edited:
Well it seems Sir Kier Starmer may also have NHS bureaucracy in his sights:

Keir Starmer pledges to tackle ā€˜bureaucratic nonsenseā€™ to save NHS

see: Keir Starmer pledges to tackle ā€˜bureaucratic nonsenseā€™ to save NHS
He has got nothing in his sights except winning a GE. But this is the sort of thing they like to hear, even if completely exaggerated. Not going down well with the professionals:
"....doctors were sceptical about the idea that patients with conditions such as internal bleeding should be advised to skip seeing their GP, with Dr Rachel Clarke, the doctor and writer on the NHS, describing it as ā€œmonumentally stupid and insulting on multiple levelsā€."

Last edited:
I don't believe that either. It sounds likes a very silly story probably emanating from something trivial, probably just a joke.
I imagine a porter going past with pillows saying "make way for the pillow manager" and being overheard by a Daily Mail reader. :rolleyes:
OTOH it could be an exaggeration of this essential function https://www.supplychain.nhs.uk/prod...rief/patient-handling-and-pressure-area-care/
She had to phone him. Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean she's a liar.

Back