google sketchup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramp34

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone tell me if sketchup is any good? I downloaded the free version, all i want to do is design furniture with it. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

SU is excellent. DaveR is our resident expert here and I consider myself to be competent too. If you take British Woodworking (and if you don't, you should) then you will have seen some of my illustrations in that.

It's easy to get going and, after several years, I'm still learning.
S

I consider myself competent (can get what I want designed if not by the fastest route) with a number of 3D and 2D modelling tools and I think SU is one of the best tools out there.

For comparison, it doesn't have the design and modelling power of 3D-Studio Max or the engineering power of AutoCAD but at the same time it's free and fairly easy to use which makes it perfect for designing furniture and other small items.

The way you model in SU is different to most other modelling tools which can make the transition painful (it took me a few goes before I got used to it) and that really is it's only major down side. I suggest you work through these tutorials: http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

I'm going to mock up a workshop extension idea for our house sometime in the next few days which is something else SU is ideal for.

sketchup, absolutely fantastic. I use it for most of my builds. I find it easier to use than a full blown CAD program and so easy to use the 3D. You can add as much or as little detail as you want and even run through the build joint by joint if you wish. It is also useful for showing customers what their project will look like. (And easy to change if they change their mind) :wink:

Yes. If you type Sketchup into the Search button on this website then you will find lots of information. Google is even better. They have their own Sketchup forum.

I love forums!

A couple of weeks ago i signed up for a cycling forum and was led to http://opencyclemap.org/ which was the perfect resource i never knew existed.

Today I sign up up at this place because I don't know dung about routing, and get led to Google Sketchup... my life is now complete!

Thank you :D

I am working through the tutorials on you tube for sketchup, but i dont seem to have the tool bar on the bottom of the page where the dimension box is, can any one help??

Yep, it was hidden by the task bar. Im very impressed with it so far, so much quicker than previous design packages ive used.

I'm no great shakes at SU, but I persevere because the one attribute I do find is that it allows me to think through the design and build properly. Just too many hand sketches on odd bits of paper, or even a notebook, very often just do not work as you haven't really seen the end item in the three planes, or the first cut scribble just hasn't been designed fully.

It may take time, particularly f you aren't that competent, but it is time well spent.

Rob

FWIW, here are a few examples. Some of these have been posted here before but all are done in SketchUp. Plans for construction could be made from every one of these pieces.

4653175758_1c8f0707f8_z.jpg

4791043241_36472f7554_z.jpg

4711993965_517175cdd7_z.jpg

4442828755_c0c400dd5b_z.jpg

Dave R, to complement the 3 images shown above , it would help a lot if you could post some dimensioned plans as well as a cut list so as we can see what SU can do in this department.
Thanks

Dave,
many thanks for the links to some wonder resources. Much appreciated.

Hello all,

getting started with sketchup now,

Just wondering (and don't string me up for this!! ) but is there a library of parts available for sketchup users??

I know its best to build up your own parts library and it serves as good practice learningto use sketchup but just asking anyWay

Cheers

Geno, Have fun with it.

You are right that it is better to make your own parts. As to availability of "parts", it depends upon what sort of parts you're looking for. There's the Google 3D Warehouse which is searchable directly from the Components browser in SketchUp. You can try that to see if you can find what you're looking for. Be aware though that anyone can upload to the Warehouse and there's a lot of poorly executed SketchUp models there. You'll get what you pay for.

Cheers Dave,

I'll take a look there anyway and it'll at least provide some inspiration!! :)

Latest posts

Back