Sketchup help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullap

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I am new to Sketchup, I have just made a leg say, saved it as a component copied and pasted 3 others, and according to the tutorials any alterations you make to one changes them all, Mine does not do that just the one i am editing, Any suggestions please

Paul

Sketchup 2022

I'm not familiar with SU 2022 but in my version of SU , I never use copy and paste. I select the item I want to duplicate, then holding down the Option key (I have a Mac) and Move, drag the item to where you want it. You will see that you have created a duplicate. Try that.

HTH

As Roger says, use the Move command. On a PC if you press Control it will duplicate the item.
Don't forget to 'Flip along axis' accessed by right clicking the item when you have duplicated it.

Copy and paste do the same as the move command on a Mac.

To edit a component you need to either double click it or select ‘edit component’ from the right mouse click so it is outlined in a dotted line. You can check that you are editing the component as the bit you are editing will be highlighted on all instances.

If you just single click an instance it will be surrounded by a blue line and changes will only affect the selected item.

it’s fiddly, but becomes second nature after a while.

Is there a problem with Sketchup?
I've just tried to download plans for something, and had to join "Trimble".
Name, email address as usual, but then was obliged to concoct a password.
Did so, confirmed it....and the system claimed they didn't agree, even though I clicked the box in order to show the characters. Yes, mix of upper and lower, a number, no special symbols....
"Must reset password".....wait for 6 digit code to get emailed.
Arrived, entered the code correctly....this time the system claimed the email and/or password was wrong!
Reset....waited for another 6 digit...entered....."wrong".

*** it!
Life's too short!

To edit a component you need to either double click it or select ‘edit component’ from the right mouse click so it is outlined in a dotted line. You can check that you are editing the component as the bit you are editing will be highlighted on all instances.

If you just single click an instance it will be surrounded by a blue line and changes will only affect the selected item.

Hi I am still struggling with this, The problem I am having is , I make a box, push it up , make it a component, then triple click it and m and ctrl to make copies. then i cannot select any component by double clicking to enable me to edit it, I think I am stupid.

Paul

Hi I am still struggling with this, The problem I am having is , I make a box, push it up , make it a component, then triple click it and m and ctrl to make copies. then i cannot select any component by double clicking to enable me to edit it, I think I am stupid.

Paul
Why the triple click? My experience is with Sketchup 2017, I would make a component, single click should select entire component, then copy/paste will paste a copy of the component. If you double click on any component, you can then edit the component and all instances of the component will change at the same time.

Nb. I think there is a specific way to paste a component as an individual element, but I don’t think you’re doing that. It sounds more like you are entering ‘edit component mode’, then copy/paste will copy the component’s elements and paste a new, independent drawing.

Hi What version is anyone using Please I am using SketchUp 2022 Pro on a 30 day free trial. Not sure what is best for me as a diy

Paul

*** it!
Life's too short!
I went to trimble the other day looking for the 2017 free version, but it wasn't there.

I had a look around on Bing and found google sketchup, free download and it appears to be the same and working ok with no sign ups, no passwords etc.

https://google-sketchup.en.lo4d.com/windows
When I say it appears the same, I only can use the most basic functions and quite often mess them up. So it may well be different at more advanced levels.

I went to trimble the other day looking for the 2017 free version, but it wasn't there.

I had a look around on Bing and found google sketchup, free download and it appears to be the same and working ok with no sign ups, no passwords etc.

https://google-sketchup.en.lo4d.com/windows
When I say it appears the same, I only can use the most basic functions and quite often mess them up. So it may well be different at more advanced levels.

Thanks for the tip, artie.
I'll give it a whirl....

It might be worth looking at a couple of YouTube tutorial, Sketchup Essentials is very good, also Dave Richards

Not used Sketchup for a bit but what you want might be called " copy component as array "or something similar. You should be able to set the distance between them and orientation.
The edit component function should be switchable off and on so it can edit one or all of the versions of it.

My advice is to get Fusion 360 hobby licence.

Ollie

Hi All, Happy wet Monday, All sorted, I was not copying correctly, Spent ages trying to sort it out, But all good now.

I think I am going to keep the SketchUp pro, Once I have mastered it in a few years I think it will be brilliant.

Thanks for the help

It might be worth checking that the first leg you drew wasn't a unique component.

Because if you copy those, they will act independently.

When you create a component, there is a checkbox - replace selection with newly create component. If you don't check this checkbox then it would behave like you described.

Also, check the Window menu, one of those side panels (Outliner?) shows tree of components and subcomponents. You should see there 4 times "Leg" component or whatever you called it.

And when you copy a leg (or move with copy) don't forget to flip it along the axe that you moved it along. This way if you edit the Leg component and add mortise on the inner side - it will be inner side for the second copy, so they face each other. If you need something unique only on one leg or only on front legs - then make them a unique component with new name before starting editing Leg component.

Back