Goodbye all!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noel":1mxltbxa said:
99.00% of threads are left intact here. Most members have the common sense and decency to discuss or argue a topic with no interference from us lot. Unfortunately there is always one living brain donor who spoils things for the rest by posting something provocative or simply stirring.

Rather uncalled for.

And it's 99.62%.

monkeybiter":3324g5b2 said:
Noel":3324g5b2 said:
99.00% of threads are left intact here. Most members have the common sense and decency to discuss or argue a topic with no interference from us lot. Unfortunately there is always one living brain donor who spoils things for the rest by posting something provocative or simply stirring.

Rather uncalled for.

Why is that then?

Grayorm":1g9i2vkp said:
Political discussions on here can only lead to one thing. Fall outs between members who otherwise would get along fine. It's a woodworking forum. I'm pretty certain there are political forums out there.....
Well there are but I'm less interested in the views of enthusiasts and more interested in the views of man-in-the-street (or woodwork group).

monkeybiter":154kwua3 said:
wizard":154kwua3 said:
it looks like you are saying flanajb is a" living brain donor"

Correct. See rule 2.

Nope, sorry FJB if it looked that way. Somebody else entirely.

Well when I first heard flanajb was going in for a sex change I was surprised :shock:
But I said "good on him", after all it's a big step and there ain't much you can do to come back from it =D>
He's been a valued member here and I say who are we to judge ? We can't and that's that [-(
The decision is his and only his alone, all we can do is support him in his choices.
So who's with me ?
Come guys and gals lets rally around and get behind this friend of ours.
So go on fella, more power to ya elbow, good luck and all that :wink:

I am Chairman of the Discovery 3 and 4 owners club and we have a forum. We have our "tow bar" section. The idea is that it's like going to a bar where you can discuss anything you like and we currently have a big debate going about the existence of God (following on from Stephen Frys recent interview). People can have a difference of opinion and there is no issue with it.

Personally I don't have an issue with the forum allowing debate of this nature. Too much moderation can cause a lot of resentment.

How do the forum handle political subjects when they affect the woodworking? Say postage changing or new electrical regulations etc etc. Politics affects all of us on a daily basis so preventing discussion could be quite limiting.

Anyway that only my view and if politics are banned then so be it.

Personally I don't mind people discussing politics here although I can see that it might provoke some heated debate.

Here's a possible solution. Perhaps it might be better if people who want to discuss politics join a political discussion forum BUT make sure you don't get banned for bringing up any woodworking topics there. And as for metalwork,well then you would really be asking for trouble.

Oh well, all in a day's stirring.

K

doorframe":1lvyeh40 said:
bugbear":1lvyeh40 said:
Grayorm":1lvyeh40 said:
Political discussions on here can only lead to one thing. Fall outs between members who otherwise would get along fine. It's a woodworking forum. I'm pretty certain there are political forums out there...................unless you want to argue with someone in particular on here?

Religion and Politics best avoided for the long term harmony I reckon. there's PLENTY of alternative topics to woodworking.

No............this isn't the right room for an argument.

Agreed in all regards.

BugBear

Disagreed in all regards.

With the election coming up and the prize up for grabs there couldn't be a better time for political debate. It is a General Chat section.

Anyway, it'd be far more interesting than "Any recommendations for a new torch?"

Disagree. Politics is utterly boring, boring, boring!

A torch is far more use than a politician.

DiscoStu":1uds47rc said:
....snip...How do the forum handle political subjects when they affect the woodworking? Say postage changing or new electrical regulations etc etc. Politics affects all of us on a daily basis so preventing discussion could be quite limiting.
(6a.) Politics.
.....snip....... We do however understand that politics effects everyday life which is why some topics may be allowed depending on the circumstances.

However if certain individuals continue to make deliberatively provocative statements without any constructive reasoning in any such threads, as they were doing in the removed thread whilst it was being monitored, presumably because they think it amusing, just as they persistently did in threads with a religious or ethnic content then there is a risk of a total ban being imposed.

Ok got it, just been reading the rules. As I see it if someone makes a post that may be against forum rules or a stupid post do not reply to it or have a laugh by making pointless comments about it, simples.

Latest posts

Back