Goodbye all!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new on here, and just had all my posts removed, asked two moderators why and still no reply
But I am still here (hammer)

lanemaux":3374c6k0 said:
I believe that for offence to be given , it must also be accepted. I simply refuse to be offended.

Couldn't agree more, as I once said on here 'sometimes offence is in the ear of the beholder'. A seemingly increasing amount of upset in the real world is because, IMHO, too many people don't subscribe to the 'sticks and stones' rhyme we all knew as kids, and the right to not be offended has appeared. Metaphorical skins are becoming thinner, and it becomes easier to say nothing than risk being told you are being offensive. The creation of new ways to offend/be offended just perpetuates old schisms and prejudices, ignoring intent in favour of assumption.

This is all a bit serious :shock:

monkeybiter":1qms96su said:
lanemaux":1qms96su said:
I believe that for offence to be given , it must also be accepted. I simply refuse to be offended.

Couldn't agree more, as I once said on here 'sometimes offence is in the ear of the beholder'. A seemingly increasing amount of upset in the real world is because, IMHO, too many people don't subscribe to the 'sticks and stones' rhyme we all knew as kids, and the right to not be offended has appeared. Metaphorical skins are becoming thinner, and it becomes easier to say nothing than risk being told you are being offensive. The creation of new ways to offend/be offended just perpetuates old schisms and prejudices, ignoring intent in favour of assumption.

Wasn't it Voltaire who said something like ' I may not agree with your opinions, but I'll defend to the death your right to hold them.' (Inaccurate paraphrase and maybe wrongly ascribed, but you get the drift.)
Maybe we should now add, 'Just so long as you don't voice them out loud.'

Interesting thread. :roll:
What's interesting is that so many people are so anxious, and potentially angry, about hearing views expressed with which they don't agree.
It's not just here it's everywhere.
All the more reason to get it all out in the open!

In our village we have various groups (books, music, heavy drinking, cycling, knitting etc) who meet and talk, but politics is more or less banned here too. I'm thinking of starting a "discussion group" to stir them up about these unspeakable things.
I'll let you know how I get on (if I live to tell the tale).

wellywood":imc94afq said:
monkeybiter":imc94afq said:
lanemaux":imc94afq said:

Wasn't it Voltaire who said something like ' I may not agree with your opinions, but I'll defend to the death your right to hold them.' (Inaccurate paraphrase and maybe wrongly ascribed, but you get the drift.)
Maybe we should now add, 'Just so long as you don't voice them out loud.'

Apparently it was his biographer, Evelyn Beatrice Hall who wrote:
EB Hall on Wikipedia":imc94afq said:
In her biography on Voltaire, Hall wrote the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (which is often misattributed to Voltaire himself) as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs
Learned this courtesy of the BBC R4's Now show in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo murders.

Apparently Voltaire himself was a complete prick when it came to his trenchant views on sharpening techniques...

wellywood":3f6a2z9n said:
KevM":3f6a2z9n said:
Apparently Voltaire himself was a complete prick when it came to his trenchant views on sharpening techniques...

Now you're dragging this thread into the realms of real controversy :shock:
Mods! Mods! Where are you Mods!?

You wanted "open" discussion....have at it......ee ar Jacob, now's yer chance.....how evil are the capitalists again? What about the rent scandal of buy to let landlords? Those taxes for the rich...far too low eh, they've got the money....bloody well pay I say. On the other hand......feckless work shy scum....if they cant afford their own home, its their fault the lazy gits.....why should an entrepreneur have to fork out more in tax? Bloated state? more money to the NHS.....millions wasted on "consultants".......expertise from "industry" will fix NHS inefficiencies......Elitist cronies privatising the juicy bits of the NHS.......waiting times for hip replacement up to 9 months in regular NHS trusts?

Which is it? Left? Right? Should we give Farage a whirl, after all those Jonny Foreigners are stealing all our jobs aren't they? Or are we just too lazy to drive buses any more.....I'm never sure which it is.

Or....maybe we could see a WIP of Wallace restoring a hunk of metal from a rusted heap to a gleaming bit of British glory. Or one of Chas's brilliantly illustrated segmented bowl procedures, or Alexam reviewing an after market bandsaw guide innovation.......I know which I'd prefer :)

bamboo":1eeb2keu said:
I am new on here, and just had all my posts removed, asked two moderators why and still no reply

The mods were of the view not to embarrass you in public but since you ask...here's why:

You made circa 20 posts in about 5 minutes of utter rubbish to get your post count past the 20 mark with the clear intention of using the for sale section.

"Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess ?"
Who said it, which film ??
Don't use google or other searches, if you know the answer post it within 3 mins of this one.

Jacob":3t7wy4c2 said:
. I'm thinking of starting a "discussion group" to stir them up about these unspeakable things.
I'll let you know how I get on (if I live to tell the tale).

Just for your information, a discussion is about presenting ideas and mulling them over with the group, with the possibility of finding a meeting point. A discussion is not deciding to go against all majority views, for the sake of it to create an argument, just to be "controversial" (this is called being a pineapple).

Random Orbital Bob":2yhjzzci said:
wellywood":2yhjzzci said:
KevM":2yhjzzci said:

Now you're dragging this thread into the realms of real controversy :shock:
Mods! Mods! Where are you Mods!?

You wanted "open" discussion....have at it......ee ar Jacob, now's yer chance.....how evil are the capitalists again? What about the rent scandal of buy to let landlords? Those taxes for the rich...far too low eh, they've got the money....bloody well pay I say. On the other hand......feckless work shy scum....if they cant afford their own home, its their fault the lazy gits.....why should an entrepreneur have to fork out more in tax? Bloated state? more money to the NHS.....millions wasted on "consultants".......expertise from "industry" will fix NHS inefficiencies......Elitist cronies privatising the juicy bits of the NHS.......waiting times for hip replacement up to 9 months in regular NHS trusts?

Which is it? Left? Right? Should we give Farage a whirl, after all those Jonny Foreigners are stealing all our jobs aren't they? Or are we just too lazy to drive buses any more.....I'm never sure which it is.....
You forgot single mothers on benefits. Used to enemy of the state number one but I think they've been demoted.
Then it was 385,000 Romanians - we haven't seen any around here I was looking forwards to having them as neighbours

doctor Bob":13wk1w88 said:
.... A discussion is not deciding to go against all majority views, ...
Going against the majority view is often a very good starting point. Even better if it actually is your point of view.

Very odd this - flanajb kicked off a harmless political chat (nobody fell out or was out of order) and now everybody is running around like chickens after the fox has walked past! :shock: What is it you are all actually afraid of?
There's an election coming up soon - are you all going into hiding until it goes away?

Jacob":zpfb1c81 said:
There's an election coming up soon - are you all going into hiding until it goes away?

Yes. I'm sick to the back teeth of it all already. It's not that it isn't important, it's just the tone of political debate in most of the media these days; mostly it's politicians engaging in cheap point-scoring off one another, egged on by broadcasters and 'commentators' who just want to fill air-time. I don't mind sensible discussion of matters that affect us all, but that is a very rare thing indeed in political discourse these days.

Thus, to find a politics-free zone is, frankly, rather refreshing.

n0legs":34wpaze5 said:
Don't use google or other searches, if you know the answer post it within 3 mins of this one.

A bit late but ... The computer from the film War games?

Nope, let have a nice game of Thermonuclear war instead. :shock:

Random Orbital Bob":2na4ai6g said:
bamboo":2na4ai6g said:

The mods were of the view not to embarrass you in public but since you ask...here's why:

You made circa 20 posts in about 5 minutes of utter rubbish to get your post count past the 20 mark with the clear intention of using the for sale section.

Thank you for the reply
Good night everybody

nanscombe":2otockdq said:
n0legs":2otockdq said:

A bit late but ... The computer from the film War games?

Nope, let have a nice game of Thermonuclear war instead. :shock:

Correct =D>
You win absolutely nothing, but thank you for your participation.

Ok here's another one.
The same 3 minute response time and no searches.

"Whenever he says ""anything"" you say ""Right,"" Brett, you know that ?"

Good luck everybody, you gotta' be in it to win it.

Back