Getting broken chuck off a drill body?...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Ay up all,

My Makita 18v drill/ driver's chuck has got a bit knackered... So I need to get the chuck off the body of the drill and have a look at it/ or replace it. I've undone (as far as it will go, only a few turns) the slotted screw at the bottom/ inside. And I thought the chuck would then just relinquish its grip, but nothings giving. What do I have to do to get it off?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers. _Dan

The chuck is still screwed up tight on a thread, try tightening it and if you have a perchance a slip on handle for an SDS drill, or similar, that clamps by turning clamp it on tight, otherwise make up a split block of suitable wood with a hole, just tight enough, that when clamped will hold the chuck firmly. Allow enough wood to protrude away from the chuck to give a lever big enough to take a smart whack with a hammer, that usually works...bosshogg

Sucking Eggs Moment..... you knew the screw is usually left hand thread?
Once you get that out, and as you're replacing the chuck, grip the chuck in a vice and give the drill a couple of quick blasts on the trigger in reverse... that usually shifts them: if not... grip the short end of a large allen key in the chuck and give the long bit a sharp whack with a hammer.

I have the 12V version and have tried all that without success! It seems like the chuck is welded on! I was going to replace the chuck on my 'newer' driver for one off my old driver as the new ones are naff, but I failed misreably. :cry: It appears I am stuck with the rubbish chuck.

mailee":2sw13g2f said:
I have the 12V version and have tried all that without success! It seems like the chuck is welded on! I was going to replace the chuck on my 'newer' driver for one off my old driver as the new ones are naff, but I failed misreably. :cry: It appears I am stuck with the rubbish chuck.
Me too on my 18v Makita. Tried everything, then bought a new drill :(

I knew that the screw was opposite thread... but I can only loosen it a few turns, then it 'locks out' again (feels like a router collet). And I can't for the life of me get it out. Luckily I've got the 10.8v kit as well or I'd be up **** creek without a paddle. I've tried it in the vice, and the allen key method and it's not playing ball. I may contact Makita and see what they say. I don't want to have to get a new drill/ driver really, but it seems that's the way its heading at this point. I'll have a quick go tomorrow morning, but not got much time as I'm off to a gig.

Thanks for all the info folks, I'll keep you updated ;). _Dan

I did have one drill that the chuck wouldn't budge on no matter what I tried. As a last resort, and the drill being useless without a working chuck anyway, I prised off the plastic covering and the cut a diagonal slot in the chuck with an angle grinder and 'spread' the cut open with a cold chisel: drastic I know but it worked. Might be worth a go if you've nothing to lose.

Hi,

If you can only loosen the screw a few turns its usually jamming on the jaws, you need to fully open the chuck to give the screw clearance.

I tried to get a 12V makita chuck off with the allen key trick with out success.

Pete

One of the 3 jaws of the chuck is stuck pretty near the bottom so I think that must be jamming it. I have NO IDEA what I'm going to do about it. I'll try and fettle it a bit tomorrow.

Thanks all. _Dan :)

I broke mine a month or so ago and struggled greatly to remove it. My old man got hold of it one weekend and replaced it with a new one. He was convinced that the screw was glued. He used an old school impact driver, a vice and lots of swearing.

-Some drills have a right or left thread screw that goes into the end of the spindle. It's head can be seen beyond the jaws when looking into the end of the chuck. The screw prevents the chuck from being unscrewed from the spindle when the drill is worked in reverse.
-Some drills have the spindle ens machined as a male morse taper. The chuck has a coresponding female taper and is driven on.

I had same problem today allen key trick wouldnt work as chuck would not tighten i got a pair of good quality mole grips on the job with a hammer job done!!!

Back