Get woodworking 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintin

Established Member
Reaction score
Introducing the "I'm surprised there is no thread about Get woodworking live 2010" thread.

So who is going? What day? What are you most looking forward to see or buy.

The fact there is no thread, and nobody has posted a reply to yours in 2 1/2 hours says it all really.

Worst car boot sale i've ever been to.
I'm suprised it's still going.

I'll be going if I ever get the ticket I ordered late November.
I'm hoping there's more than the usual jumble stalls - certainly the turning side is supposed to be better, Richard Raffan is due to be there I think.

Well i'll stick my head above the parapet... 8-[ 8-[
I agree the show has been poor, but this year, after a lot of pressure from exhibitors, feedback from visitors, and input from the magazine guys, there's been a huge effort to get it where it should be with some really great demonstrators including Rob Cosman, Richard Raffan and other highly regarded people including Philly himself.
We've even managed to sell Nick Gibbs some stand space!
It may be that like Trousers, others will be of the same opinion, and it may be that it's 'too little, too late' and it won't be supported, but it's not for the want of trying from the amount of work that has been put in by Clare Hiscock and her team who are organising it.
More info about the show with current list of exhibitors and demonstrators here if it's not treading on forum rules?
http://www.getwoodworkinglive.co.uk

cheers,
Andy

I will be going. Not sure which day yet. I can't do Friday which is my normal favourite day for shows. I'm thinking Sunday. Got my ticket weeks ago.

I'd like to go but I can't take time off again two weeks in a row...but I will try.

I want to go to say HI to Philly if anything else....

Andy..the "Exhibitors" link and some pictures does not work on the site mate.

Jim

I'm planning to go on the Sunday.

Sounds like a lot of work has been put into this year's show, Andy. That's encouraging as it used to be a very good event. Let's hope it is well supported.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

HI Guys
I'm really looking forward to this - they've put a huge amount of time and effort into the re-vamping of this show. It should be far superior to previous years, and there are some top-notch demonstrators to see. And as mentioned, I'm also going to be doing a wooden plane talk, so I'd be grateful if you'd all come along and heckle.. :lol:
Should be plenty of hand tools available this year - I see Classic Hand Tools will be there!
Cheers
Philly :D

I'm going Friday. I've not been to a woodworking show before and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm surprised to see the negative views though. I looked at the list of shows, and some of the associated websites, but the rest seem pretty small in comparison. I would have thought these would be the ones people grumble about.

To those who don't think it's worth the time - what would you do differently, what would you add if you were in charge?

CB

Got my tickets a couple of days after ordering them! Going to go along on friday and hoping to pick up some AI chisels! 8)

CraigyBoy":10pe55sr said:
I'm going Friday. I've not been to a woodworking show before and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm surprised to see the negative views though. I looked at the list of shows, and some of the associated websites, but the rest seem pretty small in comparison. I would have thought these would be the ones people grumble about.

To those who don't think it's worth the time - what would you do differently, what would you add if you were in charge?

CB

+1. Why all the negative vibes?. I'm going on Friday and have never been to a woodwork show. I'm quiet excited, even growing a beard so I don't look out of place!!!.

re the negative vibes...
In previous years there have been several large stalls selling rather poor quality tools poorly displayed - the sort of mess you might find at a run-down saturday market. For some these have spoiled the show.
I actually enjoyed last years show in spite of these stalls and spent most of my time watching turning demos.

If you've never been to a show before then go with an open mind, a credit card and enjoy yourselves :)

I'm really looking forward to this years show and hope all the hard work by the organisers has paid off. :)
I'll probably go on the Saturday, having forgotten to book holiday for the friday and arranged for people to do some work in my server room at work... :oops:

Well there you go Tintin.

One post from me and suddenly everyone is going :roll:

This used to be one of the main events on the calender, but as Andy says it did go down hill. I'm just suprised that it's taken this long for somebody to wake up and do something about it.
Perhaps if people like Philly, Andy etc had posted about the show a while ago it would have got a few members talking (show sticky notwithstanding).
That weblink has been down for a few days and to me that is just unacceptable in marketing terms in todays age.

From what I saw of the list before the blackout, several previous (regular)exhibitors have not been convinced by this apperent new enthusiasm by whatsername and are continuing not to support the event.
I bet you will find there are just as many, if not more of the 'tat' stalls at the end of the hall, and I really don't think this is what people pay £8.50 to go and see. I hope it's a worthwhile day out and look forward to the reviews.
I may go again (not this year) if it picks up because I think there is a place for a big show like this. You can buy tools online but you can't savour a live demo/talk that way. In fact I wish all the tool suppliers would turn up and show their wares as I always believe in getting your hands on the stuff you want to buy.
Mind you, in that respect it's easier for me to go into Axminster...........

Shall we save whinging until after the show?

BTW I was just informed that Sunday is Mother's day. So I'll have to go on Saturday which is normally th busiest day :(

trousers":qr1h9isz said:
Well there you go Tintin.
One post from me and suddenly everyone is going :roll:

:D :D

Well its good to see some interest! I will be going on Friday and hope to see some of the demonstrators do their magic..
Also its time to treat myself to some decent chisels, having struggled with cheap uns for far too long.
So will be looking at Pfeil or Aashlelys if I can manage to elbow flounder out the way :wink:

Most definatly looking to see a Sorby Pro edge at work since my gouges are in need of some serious attention. So that may well be the highlight if the price is right. (How much can you haggle at shows?)
A little beer in the bar won't go amiss either..

wizer":2wbpkjzs said:
Saturday which is normally th busiest day :(

Surprisingly, in our experience, this isn't the case; Friday is usually the best/busiest day (for us that is - we have a different perspective).

And yes, I'd agree that a lot of effort has been put into the show this year, it's brave of Andy to admit that it had gone downhill and I'm pleased something has been done about it.

The obligatory show meet hasn't been mentioned but you're all welcome to use our stand at midday as before, although I suspect you might prefer to congregate around Philly's stand. I don't have a problem with that, just make sure you all know where you're supposed to be!

Back