Get woodworking 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just got home. What a lovely day. Well, I woke up this morning with a rotten headache and nearly didn't go. In the end I arrived at about 1pm. The show was certainly better this year. Not earth shatteringly so, but definitely better. I was there til 5pm and didn't see or speak to half as much as I'd wanted to. Caught the end of Philly's demo, which was very good. Although he'd been given a Fisher Price workbench to demonstrate planing, shooting, etc and it was dancing all over the place. He coped well and attracted a fair crowd. After a quick chat with him I went off for a wonder. Chatted to Nick (JetMan), Mark Hancock, Mike Hancock, Nick Gibbs, and even caught 5mins with Mr Cosman, who is a lovely chap. Spent rather too much time on Roger Phebey's stall, chatting to the legacy cnc people. :oops: Watched Les Thorn's demo which was good, I really like his style of turning. Loads to see and do. I missed Richard Raffan and Mike Darlow (turners) and only caught the end of Cosman's talk. Bumped into CambournePete who'd bought some goodies.

Sadly, I returned buying nothing. Not even lunch! Still, there's plenty that I will be buying off the back of what I've seen today. :D

I'd love to go again tomorrow but no chance! If they keep up this standard then I think they're onto a winner. But PLEASE, not on the same weekend as mothers day next year. ;)

Honestly, I did suggest it. He's on a budget mind. Only clamps, router bits and really good bargains. I am also expecting lunch.

Mrs Oryx":2q710nfx said:
Honestly, I did suggest it. He's on a budget mind. Only clamps, router bits and really good bargains. I am also expecting lunch.

I reckon you have an ulterior motive Sarah!!

Hope you have a good day!

Bob

PS I did not get fed as well today as last week.

Mrs Oryx":3ffdl5in said:

Get him to fit you a new kitchen in return!!

:D :D :D

Hope you both enjoy the day....you were both very kind last week...thanks again for that.

Jim

wizer":20tg0lwv said:
Bumped into CambournePete who'd bought some goodies.
And got more before he left... :oops:
So,I ended up with:
* a Veritas scrub plane, with blade still in it's wrapping, from Tony Murland, for £75.
* A Festool RS400EQ-Plus (variable speed quarter sheet sander) with abrasive.
* A Festool saw blade
* A Simon Hope sander (for woodturning)
* And last, but not least this, which will be put away for Ethan's 8th birthday, if I can wait that long :)
* Oh yeah, I also got a box of teabags for my wife - before I got anything for me :)

I had a play with the new Mirka compact RO sander. It's really light and far easier to control than the Metabo and much quieter.
Just one rotation rate, but it is variable variable speed.
It's really rather good, shame it costs over £300...

I also met up with Mike early on to complete the sale of my Vicmarc chuck.

I enjoyed Richard Raffan's demo, and Alain Mailland was interesting in parts - I really didn't get his off-centre demo, but his tree sculpture and the flowers were really good.
I actually enjoyed last year's more in some ways - I found the demos generally more interesting.
Maybe I have "show fatigue" - if such a thing exists - and just need to do something myself rather than watch others...

I had a really good day, didn't see any of the demo's, got a few bargains.

I got a large tap holder for use with an MT2 hand reamer I bought recently for £2
A set of 5 forstner bits for £4
A set of 8 400mm long auger bits with one missing for £7, which works out £1 each including a case!
Just before leaving I treated myself to a Simon Hope long quick release handle and a double ended half inch bowl gouge which I will have one end traditional grind and swept back grind the other end.

Mrs Oryx":1ezlga1u said:
He's on a budget mind. Only clamps, router bits and really good bargains. I am also expecting lunch.

Right :whistle: ...hope Simon bought you a decent lunch :wink: - Rob

Following Andy King's mention recently of the changes at the show for this year decided to give it another chance today after negotiaiting a day pass provided I cooked dinner tonight and finished some gardening yesterday :roll: :lol:

Was well worth a visit, pleased I went, bumped into Paul Chapman and Philly and had a good look round. Still a lot of emphasis on turning, but plenty of Trend and general power tools and things too, so much more to see than recent years. I had meant to take in some of the demos but didn't get round to it unfortunately as I didn't want to be too late back.

Paul did a Waka on me and encouraged me splashing some cash on a nice Clifton 51/2 which I had been thinking about since trying the one at the Kent bash last week. It seems to fill a gap in the plane arsenal and I love the extra weight and mass of it. Mike Hudson had an anniversary version on display with English walnut knob and tote and etching/inscriptions on the sides, very nice looking. There is only 25 of each plane size being made and they are individually numbered, very tempted by those but couldn't wait till the summer when they will be available. Anyway, thought I would leave those kind of fancy things to the collectors Paul :lol:

Other than that, stocked up on a few smaller goodies, some bench cookies, bottles of superglue, packs of abranet for using on the lathe, a large Carroll sanding drum, and a few other bits and pieces.

Picked up some tips on using the little brother hollowing tool from Mark Hancock as well which were much appreciated and I'll give a go next time out in the workshop.

A good day :D

Cheers, Paul :D

Visited Ally Pally today. Much improved over last year. The attendance didn't seem to be very good today, so maybe there should have been some more, and earlier, publicity about the improvements this year.

Bumped into paulm who I seem to have converted to a Clifton user - you know it makes sense, Paul :lol:

Also met Mr & Mrs Oryx and the two baby Oryxs - lovely children.

Managed to buy a few goodies :D A very good Record #020 compass plane at a good price from Tony Murland of The Tool Shop.

Some more Veritas bench dogs from Classic Hand Tools. Had a nice chat there with Mike and David. Here's a snap of Mike

AllyPally2010-2.jpg

Even managed to get him to smile

AllyPally2010-1.jpg

I was intending to buy a Clifton #4 but on chatting to Mike Hudson he told me about the limited edition range of bench planes they are producing to mark 10 years of the Clifton bench planes. He had one example, a Clifton # 5 1/2

Cliftonlimitededition.jpg

As well as the engraving they will have thicker blades and handles and knobs made from an English Walnut tree from the Forest of Dean. Nick Gibbs will be doing an article about conversion of the tree in a future edition of British Woodworking. They look really nice so I've ordered a #4 Limited Edition :D If you want one, get in quick as there will be only 25 of each size. You can order them from Classic Hand Tools. No definite date yet because the wood is still being processed but they should be available for delivery about the middle of the year.

Bought a few other goodies and even managed to get a discount of 20% on some Festool bits and bobs for my Domino :shock:

Had a nice chat with Philly. I was sorry I couldn't stay to heckle during his demo but I'm Mother-in-Law sitting this weekend, so had to get back early :(

All in all a very good show - let's hope it goes from strength to strength.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Beardo16":1smm6nc9 said:
Antyone know where to get them clifton plane socks at all?

Mike Hudson of Clifton had some with him today. You could try Classic Hand Tools or Turners Retreat.

Paul

woodbloke":1wzmv3dy said:
Mrs Oryx":1wzmv3dy said:
He's on a budget mind. Only clamps, router bits and really good bargains. I am also expecting lunch.

Right :whistle: ...hope Simon bought you a decent lunch :wink: - Rob

Yes thanks Rob, we took sandwiches, not sure it's what Sarah had in mind but I did spring for a nice cup of tea.

Paul Chapman":7yvnds5l said:
Also met Mr & Mrs Oryx and the two baby Oryxs - lovely children.

Paul

Thank you Paul. They are both a little over tired now, all that woodie stuff was very stimulating :)

Paul Chapman":9pfo66wt said:
They look really nice so I've ordered a #4 Limited Edition :D

Paul
Paul...does Norma know?

And if she doesn't...what's it worth? :lol: :lol:

A little bit of bribery and corruption is sometimes a good thing :wink: :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":1y7u4ta6 said:
Paul Chapman":1y7u4ta6 said:
They look really nice so I've ordered a #4 Limited Edition :D

Paul
Paul...does Norma know?

No - and she's still giving me grief about the new Wenzloff, so God help me when she finds out about the Clifton 8-[ 8-[

I'm going to blame paulm......... :lol:

Paul

Moi ?!!!

It was the Stanley compass plane that was my fault Paul, not the Clifton :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

Latest posts

Back