Geocel - the Works. Opinions and suitability....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krome10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm always a bit wary before trying new types of product. I've bought a tube of Geocel - the works:

http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx?id=214&pr=wrks

I plan to use it for:

- Sealing around exterior door and window frames (wooden). In some places this is where the frames met the brick, but in others in will also be going over mortar (because there is a thin crack).

- Sealing sections of the external windows themselves, i.e. like where the beading has separated a little and left a gap.

- Sealing holes in the external brickwork (where fixing used to be, around pipes, etc.). In some of these I'll use low expansion foam first...

So has anyone used the Works? If so what did you think of it and how suitable and long lasting do you think it will be in these applications?

Chers

Max

I find Dow Corning mastic to be the best stuff, interior and frame sealant, it's very workable. I am always weary of products that advertise "it works even in the conditions that it shouldn't" I would never apply mastic in the wet, use mortar to repair the cracks and fill the holes, mix it up to match the colour of your existing mortar, if I'm filling holes I always grind brick dust from an old brick into the mortar mix to give it some colour, use decorators caulk to repair the cracks in your paintwork and overpaint, on the other hand it will probably do the job fine, why not seal a couple of inches on the frame, if its no good pull it off, I would highly recommend drying everything completely before hand though, hope that helps,
Gaz.

Thanks Gaz.

Someone else mentioned using dec caulk. I guess I had ruled that out thinking it was just for indoor use.

I have DC 799 for the frame to glass sections. Interestingly, I do believe Geocel are part of the same company, though I'm not certain. Hopefully their products will be of similar quality.

I'm a bit scared of doing mortar work - don't think my DIY skills would be up to it. The gaps are mostly quite small, where they are a little larger I plan to use the expanding foam first then the Works to seal.

RE: DW Mastic. Any chance of the exact title or product number? There are so many products that it can be very hard finding the right one!!! So if you could let me know I'll take a look.

And yes, I'll try a little of the Works and see how it goes (although of course that will say nothing for longevity).

Cheers

Max

Latest posts

Back