General opinion on powered vs non-powered respirators?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
At the moment i'm trying to choose between the 3M 7500 mask and a Trend Airshield Pro.

Is the general view that powered is superior due to the positive air pressure inside the mask?

If it's healthier i'd go with a powered unit, can't afford much different to the Airshield yet, I imagine it would be annoying to wear though, due to weight/noise.

Just my opinion but the only time I've really craved a powered respirator is when I've been spray finishing a job. Otherwise, a good quality filter mask is adequate for dust.
The powered respirator does stop your glasses from steaming up if that's a consideration :)

I started with a trend airshield and soon found I was not being protected the filters are p2 and you can still get seepage around the sides. I then went to the 3m dustmaster which is better than the airshield but the filters are still only p2. I now use a sundstrom rubber mask with p3 filters and find I'm better protected. The powered ones are ok when your not creating too much dust.

wallace":2aefi2v2 said:
I started with a trend airshield and soon found I was not being protected the filters are p2 and you can still get seepage around the sides. I then went to the 3m dustmaster which is better than the airshield but the filters are still only p2. I now use a sundstrom rubber mask with p3 filters and find I'm better protected. The powered ones are ok when your not creating too much dust.

You found the 3M better than the Trend? You shouldn't really use the 3M for woodworking as it's a negative pressure mask.

Is your Sundstrom the SR200? A superb piece of kit that can you can even plug an airline into and create full respirator system. I have two of these with different chemical filters for use on industrial sites.

I use a similar mask by moldex when came with P3 RD and used it when I did my other hobby that involves uber amounts of sanding and it was excellent. Can't comment on powered ones as never used them.

I have the Trend Airshield Pro and for me it is far better than any non powered masks I have tried - but then I have a beard!!

Cheers, Tom

This Sundstrom SR200 looks very interesting. It would be great to buy one that you could later upgrade to a belt powered unit.

The Sundstrom has the filter right at the front though, I guess you'd just have to be careful you don't do something stupid like end up feeding it into a bandsaw as mine is pretty much at just below head height.

At the moment I use an electric shaver, so its not beard but not equal to blade shaved either.

Sailormantom":2ft9zf8h said:
I have the Trend Airshield Pro and for me it is far better than any non powered masks I have tried - but then I have a beard!!
Ditto on the beard. As well as turning, I use mine for anything dusty - including sweeping the concrete floor.

I am using the SR100 which is a half mask, the SR200 looks very similar to protector phantom which I've got as well. That is very uncomfortable after a while. I was using my dustmaster with one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Airstream- ... 2c808f4daa which I found good for turning.
You found the 3M better than the Trend? You shouldn't really use the 3M for woodworking as it's a negative pressure mask.
I thought a negative pressure mask would be good for woordworking is it not the same principle as the airshield?
I think the only thing I have not tried is getting one of those adapters to use the air from a compressor.
One thing I did try once was a little powerfull fan from a cold war radar unit 24v. It would draw fresh air in from outside and then blow it down a length of pond hose to my mask. It was brilliant for turning. But no good for walking around the shop

I may just stick with my trend airace which is a P2 half mask. Till I can afford something like a belt fed P3 unit.

Can I ask how the full mask units like airsheild create a seal around your head/neck. They don't seem to have elastic bands like the half masks. Are they more comfortable from that point of view?

I used to use powered respirators when power carving with an Arbortech and sanders, but now use a 3M 7502 mask and importantly a full-face visor attached to ear defenders. As mentioned in the current BW, I had a brilliant pair of Hellberg ear defenders with a visor that could be removed easily, but an anger incident broke them recently, and I've had to bodge up a visor on another pair of ear defenders. This setup resolves some of the issues with condensation, and with ear defenders not working well with goggles and some respirators. Of course the most important thing is to remove dust at source, but that's not always easy when turning or routing.

What's the difference between 7500 and 7502? Does it refer to the filters?

Tetsuaiga":xwtomxji said:
What's the difference between 7500 and 7502? Does it refer to the filters?

Sorry, but not sure. The body of the mask has 7502 on it. I think the filters are 2512 or something. Perhaps the 7502 is slightly newer??? It is blue/grey rubber with two filters and a fixing that goes over your head and around your neck. I've found it the most comfortable, with the fewest problems with condensation, but I haven't tried that many.

I use a trend and have to say the filtered air it blows in keeps the dust away from my sensitised throat. (too much dust from woodworm in oak). The thing to watch is you will be covered in dust after so you really need to shake off and dust yourself before removing the helmet.

Hi I am new to this forum, so not sure if this has been asked before:

I have been turning wood for around 5 years using a moldex full face cartridge mask, I normally spend over 4 hours turning at one go with a couple of 10 minute breaks. Recently I started feeling shortness of breath and I am now working on a local extraction system for the lathe, I have also changed my respirator to a Scott Vision T7 with canister filter.

I am now considering upgrading the T7 to a powered system either by battery or by compressor. However not sure the best way to go, as having a pipe stuck to the compressor and to me all the time does not seem the most comfortable way, while a battery operated system may not give me an adequate supply of air for a long enough period of time (between 4 to 6 hours) I know they should give 8 hours but I am a bit sceptic on that.

Batteries or compressor that is the question?

welcome Twistededge

I've not had any issues with a rechargeable (Trend AirshieldPro) when turning for many hours - however I'm an ex rugby prop with an 18" neck; and I do take it off for the odd cup of tea! I take reasonable care to charge it/discharge it from time to time.

It really is 'what suits you' - I don't think there's a right or wrong solution (apart from the filtration side obviously)

I've found my Trend Airshield Pro to give good battery life; certainly 6 hours plus. Spare batteries aren't that expensive, so you could always get a second, and then the downtime is seconds.

When the battery on the Trend gets low the helmet sounds a buzzer to warn you; though it'll often run for tens of minutes more (plenty of time to go and change the battery - though I've never felt the need for a second).

It's not the lightest or most comfortable, but is in a different league to a canister half mask - no issues with sensitivity to dust in the eyes, much better filtering, less sweating/mess etc. (unless you're sneezing behind the visor :mrgreen:).

Wish I'd bought one years earlier; then I might not have become so sensitised to MDF dust :|

For those who wear spectacles the Sundstrom/Moldex full face types do not allow specs under them as the seal is broken.

What do you use if you wear specs. I currently have a Sundstrom 1/2 mask and wear a cheap face protection mask from Toolstation so that I can wear my specs.

??

Latest posts

Back