Misconceptions about RPE (Respiratory Protective Equipment)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested if the OP or someone else with experience could comment on this. Everything seems logical.
I think there might be some confusion playing here. A partical filter will clog. A vapour filter will allow badies through when it reaches saturation.

I'm certainly no expert so this is only my thinking but I can't see how using a filter beyond it's expiration date would allow it to allow more fine dust through? I would have thought if anything over use of a filter will just clog the filter and make breathing more difficult.

This article seems to confirm my assumption Does HEPA Filter Efficiency Decrease Over Time and With Age? – Smart Air Knowledge Base

My understanding with expiration dates is for chemical filters e.g. activated charcoal as they will gradually absorb things out of the air until they no longer work.

I can't see how a mechanical filter would expire just by being exposed to air?
The OP was, I think, referring to partical filters and that's what I'm interested in. He said:
  • If you use the filter past it's intended life, it will not fully protect you,
  • If you use a filter for an excessive length of time beyond its design life, not only will it not protect you, but it's likely increasing your exposure levels to hazardous dust, because it's still capturing the coarse dust which would normally irritate your respiratory tract, and only letting the very fine dust which represents a greater health hazard through, only now you're not getting any warning signs as to your exposure.
The post by Agent_zed suggests that might not be the case and it does seem logical that clogging would reduce not increase partial penetration. What do you think Jelly or others?

Friend when i said about it bleated he knows what doing hes been doing woodwork since Noah gave him a Woden plane!
Which was used in the construction of the halls of Valhalla? I'm seeing a bit of a conflict here...

Seriously agree about dust getting inside the masks you're not using though. Too easy to end up with a stack of contaminated disposables.

Which was used in the construction of the halls of Valhalla? I'm seeing a bit of a conflict here...

Seriously agree about dust getting inside the masks you're not using though. Too easy to end up with a stack of contaminated disposables.
Bit like wearing 2foot high wellies in a 3ft puddle!

Another factor to put into consideration is whether the user has facial hair beyond a moustache. No negative pressure mask will provide an adequate seal around the face so positive air pressure is the much more preferred option. This is the reason that most armed forces personnel are not allowed anything beyond a moustache (unless for religious reasons) as a gas mask will not seal properly around the face, which could have fatal consequences.

Back