Gemred

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerBoyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Has any one else had any issue's with a gemred box ?????
Mine started to switch itself off and when I have turned it back on the readings can be as much as +/- 2 degrees out from where it was before it switched off :evil: :evil:
And I have changed the batteries twice
Unfortunatly I needed an accurate reading on a time sensitive project that rather than resolve it I bought a Wixey WR300 Digital Angle Gauge
apart from the colour of the case it looks identical to the gemred lol
And I have now sent the gemred to the bin

I should add its only a couple of months old :evil:

Roger

i would contact Gemred and send it back- at least you have a spare then.

I have the wixey one and have had no issues.

Too late to send it back .... Well not in one piece at least :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just curious really as to how reliable these things are
The accuracy of it (before it started to play up ) and the Wixey version seems to be very good just not convinced on the reliability of it now LOL

Roger

an interesting point. And you are not going to see a degree or two as being obviously out on a planer fence or saw blade when setting up the machine.

Thats the thing ... because it is only a degree out you dont notice it until after everything is cut out ( Hence the reason that my gemred is now in several pieces :-" :-" :-" )

Is there not a precision piece of kit that you can use as a 'tester' (better wording evades me) - an accurately ground lump of metal or lasers?

There will be but do you check it every time you use it against the block. So every time the fence is moved on the planer, every time the saw blade is moved. It is a bit like having a car that you know will break down sooner or later. You don't like doing long journeys so it severely restricts the use of said car!

As a chef I had to check the temperature probes on a weekly basis for accuracy, it wasn't a biggie and gave more peace of mind than not checking it, hoping for the best and accepting the consequences. Similar with a woodworking tool if you don't periodically check it for precision you get bits that don't fit or look ugly and if it's your bread, butter and reputation.... You would only have to check the angel finder once a day surely?

I agree Gary but on this particular one that was known to be "iffy", could you trust it between checks?

I couldnt :evil: :evil:
it cost me 4 hours of my time two packs of batteries and the new wixey one but I did Make my deadline which was the important thing..

Roger

I had a digital angle gauge (the sort that's a ruler with a hinge in the middle and a readout in degrees). I couldn't get it to read correctly on both a straightedge and when fully closed. I think the sensor was made off-centre WRT the hinge. Whatever, it was a complete waste of money.

I have a gem red. I'll be testing it after this thread.

E.

Eric The Viking":sb6otwgx said:
I had a digital angle gauge (the sort that's a ruler with a hinge in the middle and a readout in degrees). I couldn't get it to read correctly on both a straightedge and when fully closed. I think the sensor was made off-centre WRT the hinge. Whatever, it was a complete waste of money.

I have a gem red. I'll be testing it after this thread.

E.

Mine worked fine until it started to switch itself off LOL
no better and no worse than the Wixey one
If I had the time to spare I would have sent it back to Axminster for them to play with but I didnt and got that frustrated by it I may have just thrown it against a wall LOL
But I'm not saying thats what happened :mrgreen: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back