Galoot Block Plane - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tip with the stick (I used a slither of oak - upmarket lollies we have in Kent don'tcha know!) worked fine. Not quite as linear as I would have liked it but the best I could manage with the tight space.

On to the next phase...the gluing up. I did this last night and on Phily's recommendation, used Araldite Original...and then brought her in the house for warmth to speed up curing a bit and bandaged her in tape:

DSC_0068.JPG

Three P.M. the bandages come off....that is 16 hours after first surgery...and I wrote the time on the tape...mostly to put me off peeking!

So off to polish up an old Starret No.2 micrometer which was in dire need of preservation!

Later peoples...

Jim

Jim,

Oak lolly sticks? Do you have smoked lollies then Jim!

BTW, I just turned out some junk in the shop. Guess what?
I found another piece of that mahogany, not quite as big, but it will make a nice gavel!

The Galoot Smoother is a coming on well!
Nice one.
Regards
John

xy mosian":pmrkml4y said:
jimi43":pmrkml4y said:
...and then brought her in the house for warmth to speed up curing a bit and bandaged her in tape:

Jim

That plane is begining to look good, but getting to you :)

xy

It usually transmutes from "it" to "her" when it gets to the pain in the a&^e bits!!

:D :D :D

And OF COURSE...in case the beloved is watching...when it becomes a thing of beauty.... :wink: 8)

BTW...I forgot how bleedin' hard real Araldite gets...I could be a while fettling this one!

Jim

Ok so the bandages came off tonight and I must say..I had quite forgotten how darn strong original Araldite actually is. Amazing stuff when you have the patience!

So there are some gaps and holes...all of my making and mostly mistakes which I guess I will learn by but nothing I am that worried about...

The wood is GLORIOUS John...now I have had a chance to get the surface down...deliberately using 3M MicroMesh because it darkens the wood beautifully and with mahogany enhances the beautiful grain...

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0077.JPG

I think tomorrow I will play with that idea of the carved wedge....

I have bought an old iron...made by my old favourite...Isaac Greaves...

My little chariot is without doubt the best plane I have and I use it all the time so I have chosen the same maker of old irons...and luckily it is 1 5/8" which is an exact fit!

I am happy to take any ideas on board here...as this might be the make or break part....and I really should have followed HC's idea of making the plane work first THEN making it....but I didn't and it is too late now...we live and learn...

But I have a good feeling about this one...I have to say the old 110 is CONSIDERABLY heavier now and actually feels like it will whistle along beautifully.

I wedged the old iron (what was left of it) in place and tried it out and it is very comfortable already! A vast improvement!

Later guys and gals

Jim

hi jim

Don't worry so much i'm sure your ideas will all come together nicely and you will end up with a super plane which you will be proud of.

look what turned up today , when I told you I had purchased my donor plane I knew there was a second one on www.oldtools.co uk . Thought about it all day when I check that evening at 5 :20ish it was still for sale so I bought it as well (twins) naughty naughty me :roll: , One is to cut down into a smoother, the best one I'm going to use on a chute board .

Any one know did record ever make there own chute board :?: .

Anyone know what size thread the hole in the side is please :?: , I need to make a handle to suite , I think the chances of finding an old is very slim .

Next to source some very nice brazilian rosewood , a trip to yandle maybe next week , lunch out with my old dutch the lady of my life .

PDR_2326.jpg

HC
You'll be lucky to find Brazilian Rosewood anywhere - Yandles have some small stocks of "reclaimed" Rosewood, Indonesian, I believe. Otherwise Timberline is the place for rosewood.
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

head clansman":2a01jykb said:
Any one know did record ever make there own chute board :?: .

It certainly never appeared in any catalogue I've seen if they did, so I'll say "no".

BugBear

WOW..they're monsters HC! There is something so very industrial about that design don't you think?

I reckon they would make a superb donor...a little large for my immediate purpose but at least you have room for rivets and one hole! :wink:

Did you see the S&S African Blackwood planes?

Lovely aren't the? African Blackwood does not perhaps have the same interesting grain that rosewood has though. Or perhaps the English Boxwood ones ( 8) ) - I saw a lump of unsawn boxwood on fleaBay the other day....

Jim

hi jim

african black wood nice, hmm but, doesn't have that grain does it like rose wood does, african black wood does have the weight to it though which i have to consider as well. you seen a lump of boxwood unsawn and never grabbed it :shock: how big was it :?: what sort of price was being asked for it is more important . I do like the boxwood not sure theres much weight to it , I never really associated boxwood to plane handles and totes , mind having said that it does look nice all be it unusual in those pics .

Still i'm going to play with them for a while , test out a few theories first and take a look about for some really nice timber . hc

ps i still need to know what size thread the hole for the handle is if anyone know what it is would appreciate that piece of info please .

Hi, HC

Its probably English plane thread same as the frog screws.

pete

No problems mate.

I think that rosewood is the most beautiful contrast in those S&S planes...certainly against the brass and steel it is really stunning.

The engineering excellence of those examples makes the box wood look superb but rather insipid in comparison...but stunning none the less.

I am off to do some test fitting of a wedge. I think I will make a standalone one first to see how the plane feels with an iron and then think about the final element later.

Cheers mate

Jim

Head Clansman,

forgive my ignorance but what kind of planes are those? Record by the colour and possibly the moulding under the 'knob' but I'm probably wrong or just not altogether right...

Eoin

Back