Furniture paint recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
Any particular recommendations for furniture paint? Matt black for chairs.
Screwfix have "Rustoleum",
Wilko Quick Dry Furniture Black Matt Paint
No doubt there are others.
I assume emulsion isn't as tough as "furniture" paint but I don't know.

Emulsion wont stick.
You could try blackboard paint, its pretty sticky and certainly matt.
Might be a bit too much texture for chairs ?

If you want the blackest possible try this Black 3.0 - the world's blackest black acrylic paint

It is so matt and black it removes the eyes ability to see the shape of objects properly, its strange, I kind of want some just to have a go with it.

Ollie

Emulsion wont stick.
You could try blackboard paint, its pretty sticky and certainly matt.
Might be a bit too much texture for chairs ?

If you want the blackest possible try this Black 3.0 - the world's blackest black acrylic paint

It is so matt and black it removes the eyes ability to see the shape of objects properly, its strange, I kind of want some just to have a go with it.

Ollie
I like the idea but it's a bit pricy! Definitely one to remember thanks for that.

It's water based and a little thick but I would think it could be thinned. I used it on a sorely neglected grey up and over garage door - I coated the bare patches where paint had peeled then did one coat over the whole door. Job done. Whether you'd get a good enough finish for furniture you'd have to find out, but it's brilliant stuff, you'd find a use for it elsewhere.

I panelled this wall with Mdf & 5"x1" cheap pine from Huws Grey. The 2 old bedside units were made from that cheap plastic looking pine effect finish stuff. My wife used "French Chic" chalk paint to all of it. Brilliant stuff, goes on a dream and leaves no brush marks...seriously looks like it's been sprayed on.

Attachments

• 126323-room4.jpg
    126323-room4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I've used bedec msp both satin and gloss for a few years, reviving odd bits of furniture, window boards etc. very good, easy to apply and has lasted well. You don't get the immaculate high gloss of traditional oil based paints but I wasn't looking for that where I used it. Recently used bedec barn paint for some outdoor woodwork, equally good in context so I think it's a company that does offer good products. All water based too so clean up is a breeze and minimal or no smell as it dries.

I suppose it depends on what you need the paint to do. I have made my fair share of painted furniture and some of this was antique reproduction. For this, i used matt oil based paint, especially if it was in combination with some form of guilding A firm called 'Fired Earth' used to produce a range, and Farrow and Ball, also offered this as an option

I have a large ornate cupboard, that I m trying to finish, where I need some 'arsenic green' for the final paint job The closest I have been able to get is a satin, oil-based paint. To this I would have added a matting agent manufactured by 'Bollom' who are sadly no longer trading. Luckily I have been able to track down a similar product used for marine paint.

Regarding my earlier statement, of 'what you want the paint to do' - in my case it has to look 'aged' and wear gracefully. To this end, the whitewood furniture is first stained, so that any chipping and wear will show through as a dark colour, rather than bright new timber

I've used barn paint extensively and it's a great paint. especially outside. msp is a bit more liquid( barn paint is a bit jelly like. I have got high gloss from msp gloss but only through a spray gun. aqua advance is another bedec product that's recommended.
it's pretty tough for these types of paint.( water base)
my favourite is an interior paint made by ankerstuy. it's polyurethane and water based called ankocryl. it's beautiful for spraying. maybe thickened for brushing. only in satin and custom mixed.

What kind of wood Jacob? I’ve been ebonizing oak with tannin and steel wool dissolved in vinegar. It makes a great black and you can do other woods like maple or cherry. Wipe it down with tannin dissolved in water and after it dries do the same with the steel wool in vinegar. You can repeat the process a couple times to make it blacker. Then you put on a finish like oil or varnish I think it looks good. Pictures attached (if they work) are of an oak mantle. One before the oil applied, one after and one closeup.
9FB60BE6-7801-4DAB-8EF4-B684686479F7.jpeg
3ACF860E-8AD3-4A41-B1F5-1DB9CC012035.jpeg
C56BE5D9-A6EA-4E92-844B-1138EDAF23A1.jpeg

Pete

Back