Free Helping Hand?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileyRC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post.

My name is Bailey, I'm a 22 year old lad, and I'm currently doing my Level 2 Carpentry Apprenticeship. At the moment, I'm waiting to do my exams, but feel like I don't know as much as what I would like to.
I have flown through all of my coursework with top marks, and with my college still closed, my learning has come to a bit of a grinding halt.
I have a huge passion for carpentry, and know this is the career I want to strive in.
I'm writing this post to see whether anyone would like a free helping hand, or a 'carpenters mate'.
At the moment, I'm free every weekend (due to work commitments) , and if you have any weekend projects, or weekend work, I'd love to tag along.
Your knowledge, expertise and time is worth more to me than any pound or penny!
I have my own little van, hand tools and power tools - so I wouldn't be a burden asking for pick ups or putting wear and tear on your own kit.
I have potentially another 45+ years of working as a carpenter, and would really appreciate if anyone could pass down any bits of their own knowledge and skill down to me.
I'm based in Leicester, but I'm willing to travel here, there and everywhere around the UK!

If you'd like to know a little bit more about me, then just drop me a message!

Thanks for all of your time,

Bailey.

:)

Well Mr. Bailey Sir. As you'll see from my Profile I live in Switzerland, AND I'm not even a "part-trained chippy" to boot (so I could undoubtedly learn more from you than you from me): So why respond to your post? "Just" to say that I was struck not only by your "enterprise" in making the post in the first place but also by the "tone" you used therein.

With your attitude Sir, you deserve to succeed, and I'm sure you will get there. So apart from the usual "Seasonal greetings" I wish you every success. I'm sure you'll get where you want to be.

Not that you really need it with your approach, but Good Luck anyway. 👍

Well Mr. Bailey Sir. As you'll see from my Profile I live in Switzerland, AND I'm not even a "part-trained chippy" to boot (so I could undoubtedly learn more from you than you from me): So why respond to your post? "Just" to say that I was struck not only by your "enterprise" in making the post in the first place but also by the "tone" you used therein.

With your attitude Sir, you deserve to succeed, and I'm sure you will get there. So apart from the usual "Seasonal greetings" I wish you every success. I'm sure you'll get where you want to be.

Not that you really need it with your approach, but Good Luck anyway. 👍

I'm sure there are things you know that I don't! And thank you very much for your humbling and kind words!
All the very best to you too, and hope you and your family are keeping well and safe!
Stay in touch! :D

I'm based in Leicester, but I'm willing to travel here, there and everywhere around the UK!

If you'd like to know a little bit more about me, then just drop me a message!

Thanks for all of your time,

Bailey.

:)
Good luck Bailey. With your initiative and willingness to work and learn, you will soon find something.

Excellent attitude Bailey. Stay positive and keep looking for opportunities.
Two quotes from Churchill that you bring to mind.
*An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity; a pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity.
*Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

I can't help you out but I hope you find opportunity to grow (and profit from) soon.
Good luck.
Positivity is contagious and enjoys company just as much as misery if not more.
Sorry if I sound like a Facebook quote but it's true. Keep plugging on there. It will work out.
Don't be too quick to sell yourself for free mind. You have value. Don't underestimate it or give away too freely.

Excellent attitude Bailey. Stay positive and keep looking for opportunities.
Two quotes from Churchill that you bring to mind.
*An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity; a pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity.
*Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

I can't help you out but I hope you find opportunity to grow (and profit from) soon.
Good luck.
Positivity is contagious and enjoys company just as much as misery if not more.
Sorry if I sound like a Facebook quote but it's true. Keep plugging on there. It will work out.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the kind words! Churchill was a very wise man, I love those quotes. Thanks again! :)

I came into this late and from a different trade. My reasoning on it was at X age, people would expect me to have X number of years experience, which I didnt have so to combat this I took other multiple non qualification courses. This is as well as doing a degree in furniture design, as my main qualification, but also a National certificate in shopfitting and general joinery, which is only a year long, part time.
Plus night school, weekend for basic joinery to carving and turning..
Also managed to pick up working in an architects doing shopfitting on minimum wage, plus unpaid overtime. Anything I could do to help out gave me more experience is a ranger of jobs.

Reading books is fine but you really need to be doing jobs, as its that gives the actual hands on experience the books cannot teach. "Homers" cheap joinery for the masses, assemble ikea stuff, fix or make a gate,fence or whatever.

Kudos to you Bailey. You have a wonderful life attitude and work ethic.

I too can’t help with your experience now, it would have been a superb learning experience for you with my workshop build this year, the tips, tricks and knowledge of forty five years of wood working and carpentry I’d have happily shared with you.

I wish you well in your quest, you will go far in life with such positivity.

I came into this late and from a different trade. My reasoning on it was at X age, people would expect me to have X number of years experience, which I didnt have so to combat this I took other multiple non qualification courses. This is as well as doing a degree in furniture design, as my main qualification, but also a National certificate in shopfitting and general joinery, which is only a year long, part time.
Plus night school, weekend for basic joinery to carving and turning..
Also managed to pick up working in an architects doing shopfitting on minimum wage, plus unpaid overtime. Anything I could do to help out gave me more experience is a ranger of jobs.

Reading books is fine but you really need to be doing jobs, as its that gives the actual hands on experience the books cannot teach. "Homers" cheap joinery for the masses, assemble ikea stuff, fix or make a gate,fence or whatever.

I might take a page out of your book! I was doing an evening course before lockdown doing wood carving at a local college. I must have been the youngest there by about 50 years, but it was great to learn from true masters of the trade - really cannot wait for that to be back on! University is something that I never actually considered, I will have to look more into that.
Completely agree with the books - actually doing the job is where I learn best.
Thanks for the tips and sharing what you did, I really appreciate it! :)

Kudos to you Bailey. You have a wonderful life attitude and work ethic.

I too can’t help with your experience now, it would have been a superb learning experience for you with my workshop build this year, the tips, tricks and knowledge of forty five years of wood working and carpentry I’d have happily shared with you.

I wish you well in your quest, you will go far in life with such positivity.

Aw blimey, I hope you've got your workshop up and running now! That would've been amazing tagging along and learning from you!
I built my self a little 8 x 6 foot... shed... (but I call it my workshop :ROFLMAO:) over the summer. Tiny little thing, but its enough space to do little projects!
If you ever need a helping hand in the future, I'll be there in an instant.
Thanks for the kind words as well!
Keep in touch!

I think LBcarpentry on here is Leicester based. There's a few others on instagram round here I've seen that do nice work - could be worth reaching out to them. Wish there were more lads like you out there, we really struggle to find people with drive...

I think LBcarpentry on here is Leicester based. There's a few others on instagram round here I've seen that do nice work - could be worth reaching out to them. Wish there were more lads like you out there, we really struggle to find people with drive...

Oh brilliant! Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to drop him a message or email. I'll have to have a look on instagram, didn't even think to look on there! Really appreciate your help and kind words, means a lot! :)

Hi mate have responded to your message. Great attitude and strive. Come back to us later in the year. Unfortunately not taking anyone on until late next year now 👍

Louis

That's a crying shame LB :cry:.
Bailey, there are workshops in Loughboro' and dotted all over the place. Have you tried actually going to these places and introducing yourself to the boss? Always worth a chance, but you might have to wait until January now. With your positivity, you'll sort something out. BOL!! Jeff

Back