Free Helping Hand?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bailey, whilst I am unable to help you directly (I've only just begun tinkering myself), may I say this......until my retirement, I employed hundreds over the years. With your attitude and willingness, you stand with few. You already have something most never find, in my experience. May it stand you in great stead for the future. Stay focused and never loose your humble edge - best of luck young man. You are a rare commodity. Keep reaching, you will attain.
Ah bloody hell, thanks you very much, your kind words means a lot to me. I'm really taken away from all of your support, wasn't expecting this at all! Thanks again, and wish you and the family a Merry Christmas! :D(y)

Awesome attitude - you'll go far.

You probably already know this place:

https://www.communitywoodrecycling.org.uk/stores/just-wood-leicestershire/

Looks like they have volunteers working there to make stuff to sell in their shops.
It's so weird, because this place is like my second home! I go here quite often to buy a few bits n bobs, and never once thought about asking them! Something that was right under my nose :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for great idea, I really appreciate it! :D(y)

Hi Bailey.
The other guys have buttered you up enough, :) so I'm just going to get to the point.
I would advise against mass emailing shops within x radius and mail shoting, within given boundaries.
I would suggest narrowing your search to two or three companies that you would like to work for.
Then find out who has influence in that environment, it isn't always the boss.
If you can't get inside info then you need to go straight to the Boss.
Send Him / Her a handwritten letter laying out your experience and explaining why you want to work for them and why it would be in their interest to hire you.
You may not get an immediate reply but if you include a stamped self addressed envelope, it's almost guaranteed.
If by chance you don't get a reply you can follow up with a polite phone call in a couple of weeks.
I know we live in the electronic age but who pays attention to an anonymous email.
A handwritten letter gets attention.

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post.

My name is Bailey, I'm a 22 year old lad, and I'm currently doing my Level 2 Carpentry Apprenticeship. At the moment, I'm waiting to do my exams, but feel like I don't know as much as what I would like to.
I have flown through all of my coursework with top marks, and with my college still closed, my learning has come to a bit of a grinding halt.
I have a huge passion for carpentry, and know this is the career I want to strive in.
I'm writing this post to see whether anyone would like a free helping hand, or a 'carpenters mate'.
At the moment, I'm free every weekend (due to work commitments) , and if you have any weekend projects, or weekend work, I'd love to tag along.
Your knowledge, expertise and time is worth more to me than any pound or penny!
I have my own little van, hand tools and power tools - so I wouldn't be a burden asking for pick ups or putting wear and tear on your own kit.
I have potentially another 45+ years of working as a carpenter, and would really appreciate if anyone could pass down any bits of their own knowledge and skill down to me.
I'm based in Leicester, but I'm willing to travel here, there and everywhere around the UK!

If you'd like to know a little bit more about me, then just drop me a message!

Thanks for all of your time,

Bailey.

:)
Hi Bailey, top class attitude and just wish i could help you out but distance and trying not to work weekends doesn't help you. Might be worth contacting the guilds, ill attach web addresses for you
https://www.guildmc.com/about-us/found this on google, they may have a list of local companies - Welfare and charity support - The Furniture Makers' Company
hope this helps in some way, good luck on your journey, with that attitude im sure you will excel
Sean.

Hi Bailey.
The other guys have buttered you up enough, :) so I'm just going to get to the point.
I would advise against mass emailing shops within x radius and mail shoting, within given boundaries.
I would suggest narrowing your search to two or three companies that you would like to work for.
Then find out who has influence in that environment, it isn't always the boss.
If you can't get inside info then you need to go straight to the Boss.
Send Him / Her a handwritten letter laying out your experience and explaining why you want to work for them and why it would be in their interest to hire you.
You may not get an immediate reply but if you include a stamped self addressed envelope, it's almost guaranteed.
If by chance you don't get a reply you can follow up with a polite phone call in a couple of weeks.
I know we live in the electronic age but who pays attention to an anonymous email.
A handwritten letter gets attention.

Thats a good point, I like the idea of sending a handwritten letter, might say more about me too! Thank you for all of your advice, I really appreciate it! :D

Hi Bailey, top class attitude and just wish i could help you out but distance and trying not to work weekends doesn't help you. Might be worth contacting the guilds, ill attach web addresses for you
https://www.guildmc.com/about-us/found this on google, they may have a list of local companies - Welfare and charity support - The Furniture Makers' Company
hope this helps in some way, good luck on your journey, with that attitude im sure you will excel
Sean.
Hi Sean! Thank you for your kind words, mean a lot! And thank you for going out of your way to help me out. Would never have expected this, and I cant tell you how much I appreciate it. I'll be having a look on those websites now!
Distance would never be an issue for me, and if you ever need a helping hand one weekend, just drop me a message - I'd love to tag along!
Thanks again for everything! :D(y)

Hi Sean! Thank you for your kind words, mean a lot! And thank you for going out of your way to help me out. Would never have expected this, and I cant tell you how much I appreciate it. I'll be having a look on those websites now!
Distance would never be an issue for me, and if you ever need a helping hand one weekend, just drop me a message - I'd love to tag along!
Thanks again for everything! :D(y)
Hi Bailey,
My pleasure, and will do
Sean.

Hi Bailey, I think your attitude is brilliant and I would like to help, the only problem is I’m two hours away, you are only available weekends, not a problem, quite happy to put you up Saturday night after a day in the workshop, work Sunday till you go home again. I trained as a woodwork teacher, and now work as a self employed Cabinetmaker - semi retired. Any good? PM me if interested, we can have a natter. Ian

Hi Bailey,

We are based in Leicester, (39 Freemens Common road) but we wouldn’t class us as carpenter workshop. We are a digital fabrication company and all our work revolves around CNC router. Just Google Pulp Build Limited and visit our Instagram page.

We are very new at the moment but have few long term project lined up for next year. However none of which will require fine furniture making skills from wood. 90% of our work revolves around plywood.

We don’t work in the workshop everyday unless it is a production day. We normally do weekend runs and production as well as site install.

I am happy for you to come round and see the workshop yourself. We might not be a fit you are looking for but if you are interested my email is on our website.

This is my first post so I am refraining from adding any links here.

Piyush

I can’t help but have a look at National Trust properties in your area you may find teams of volunteers working on interesting projects. When I retired a friend suggested I could help to restore a water wheel on a place about 25 miles away. It sounded great but I had already lined up a couple of years worth of car, lathe, house, garden and travel projects so didn’t get involved. Good luck 🤞

Hi Bailey, I think your attitude is brilliant and I would like to help, the only problem is I’m two hours away, you are only available weekends, not a problem, quite happy to put you up Saturday night after a day in the workshop, work Sunday till you go home again. I trained as a woodwork teacher, and now work as a self employed Cabinetmaker - semi retired. Any good? PM me if interested, we can have a natter. Ian

Hi Ian, that sounds like a dream! If you can spare me the time and pass on anything you know, I will forever be grateful. I always want to add more strings to my bow! I'd be silly to not take you up on your offer! I've tried to message you privately, but I don't know how to do so? I think I've read somewhere on the forum that I have to make 3 posts in order to privately message someone? Do you have an email address I could reach you with? Many thanks again, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your offer, and looking forward to speaking with you more! Thank you Sir. :)

Hi Bailey,

We are based in Leicester, (39 Freemens Common road) but we wouldn’t class us as carpenter workshop. We are a digital fabrication company and all our work revolves around CNC router. Just Google Pulp Build Limited and visit our Instagram page.

We are very new at the moment but have few long term project lined up for next year. However none of which will require fine furniture making skills from wood. 90% of our work revolves around plywood.

We don’t work in the workshop everyday unless it is a production day. We normally do weekend runs and production as well as site install.

I am happy for you to come round and see the workshop yourself. We might not be a fit you are looking for but if you are interested my email is on our website.

This is my first post so I am refraining from adding any links here.

Piyush

Hi Piyush! Freemens Common is literally on my doorstep, I'm just off of Hinckley Road! That sounds fantastic, if you can give me the time, I won't let you down! I'll be definitely emailing you, and looking forward to speaking to you more! Thank you again for reaching out to me, I really appreciate Sir. Speak soon! :)

I've tried to message you privately, but I don't know how to do so?

Move your mouse cursor over Cabinetman's username, but don't click.

An expanded window with more options will appear.

Click on "Start conversation" to create a private message with Ian.

Conversation.jpg

I can’t help but have a look at National Trust properties in your area you may find teams of volunteers working on interesting projects. When I retired a friend suggested I could help to restore a water wheel on a place about 25 miles away. It sounded great but I had already lined up a couple of years worth of car, lathe, house, garden and travel projects so didn’t get involved. Good luck 🤞

Great idea! I'll definitely be doing my research on that! Thanks for the advice and kind words, I really appreciate it! :)

Move your mouse cursor over Cabinetman's username, but don't click.

An expanded window with more options will appear.

Click on "Start conversation" to create a private message with Ian.

View attachment 98507

Sorry to bother you Mike, I might need further help! I've just tried this, but only seem to have the 'follow' and 'ignore' buttons. No 'start conversation' button? Sorry to be a pain in the backside! :)

Sorry to bother you Mike, I might need further help! I've just tried this, but only seem to have the 'follow' and 'ignore' buttons. No 'start conversation' button? Sorry to be a pain in the backside! :)

You're not being a pain. I'll look into the issue. In the interim, do you see an envelope icon in the upper right corner of the screen next to your username?

Conversation-2.jpg

If so, you can click on this to open the Conversation application by clicking on "Start a new conversation".

Back