Free Helping Hand?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes it harder with Covid restrictions. Only thing I could suggest would be to make something, but at your place, and be paid for it, costs at least? I guess you want the 'looking over your shoulder' aspect as much as the work?
E.g. a shove halfpenny board, oak, with box stringers? Let me know if you're interested.

Great attitude Bailey. Stay positive and something will happen for you.

If you haven't done it already, contact all the local businesses/individuals in your area that you think might be able to offer a position.

Best of luck to you Bailey. What an incredible attitude you have! You certainly deserve to succeed. I would wish you luck, but with an attitude like yours I don't think you'll need it! Keep putting yourself out there and the opportunities will come to you.

Well Bailey, that's quite some welcome and from your attitude it's well earned mate. I can't help you as I am retired and too far away anyway, but the very best of luck!

As Jester said, try going into the workshops and introduce yourself to the boss. It can work wonders and when those bosses see your enthusiasm it could just work out for you. All you need to do is to be in the right place at the right time me-thinks.

Merry Christmas and stay safe!

Might I also suggest looking towards charitable projects where you might pick up some bench space, or volunteer with them. Usually find they have the machines and better relations with suppliers, tools timber and the like. Plus it gets you to meet like minded people and make connections.
Sometimes setting up a workshop by yourself is a difficult and expensive business, but setting up with a couple of other makers can give more scope- everyone has something to bring- tools,machines or even, and this i think most important is that surrounded by designers, you get more ideas yourself.

Kim up your local men's shed or wood recycling charity.

They always want more members and younger ones are especially welcome!

Most will be doing stuff online.

Do you have any family members who have a garage you could use?

Cheers James

Get a map of were you live, pencil and compass.

Draw a 10 minute, 20, 30, 40 minute circles.

Write a good email, (such as you've done already).

Do a mail shot to every tradesman / workshop/allied trades, within those circles.

Let them know that you'll knock on their doors in the new year. (they will be more lightly to open the door AND be talkative, especially if they know your not the tax man).

You'll get a start,............... and if you don't, they will keep your number for casual/daily work when they are short handed.

Worked for me :cool:

Bailey, whilst I am unable to help you directly (I've only just begun tinkering myself), may I say this......until my retirement, I employed hundreds over the years. With your attitude and willingness, you stand with few. You already have something most never find, in my experience. May it stand you in great stead for the future. Stay focused and never loose your humble edge - best of luck young man. You are a rare commodity. Keep reaching, you will attain.

Really sorry replying so late to all of you! I just want to say a massive thank you to you all for all of your advice, tips and kind words. Really means a lot! I'll try and message you all individually, but just want to say collectively - thank you! :D

Hi mate have responded to your message. Great attitude and strive. Come back to us later in the year. Unfortunately not taking anyone on until late next year now 👍

Louis

Hi Louis, thanks for getting back to me, completely understandable, I'll make sure to keep in touch! Cheers! :D(y)

That's a crying shame LB :cry:.
Bailey, there are workshops in Loughboro' and dotted all over the place. Have you tried actually going to these places and introducing yourself to the boss? Always worth a chance, but you might have to wait until January now. With your positivity, you'll sort something out. BOL!! Jeff

Great idea, I love that! I used to work in Loughborough, completely forgot about the workshops around there. If I remember, I think there are quite a few next to the big B&Q? Thanks again for your advice, really appreciate it! :)

Great attitude Bailey. Stay positive and something will happen for you.

If you haven't done it already, contact all the local businesses/individuals in your area that you think might be able to offer a position.

Ah cheers, really appreciate your kind words! You've read my mind, I'm on to that already, contacting as many carpenters as possible! Wish me luck! Cheers! :)

Best of luck to you Bailey. What an incredible attitude you have! You certainly deserve to succeed. I would wish you luck, but with an attitude like yours I don't think you'll need it! Keep putting yourself out there and the opportunities will come to you.
Thank you! Really appreciate your kind words, means a lot! :D

Well Bailey, that's quite some welcome and from your attitude it's well earned mate. I can't help you as I am retired and too far away anyway, but the very best of luck!

As Jester said, try going into the workshops and introduce yourself to the boss. It can work wonders and when those bosses see your enthusiasm it could just work out for you. All you need to do is to be in the right place at the right time me-thinks.

Merry Christmas and stay safe!

Tell me about it! I wasn't even expecting a single reply, let alone all the kind words, advice and tips everyone has sent my way!
Definitely, I'll be doing that over this weekend if nothing comes up by then. Its all worth a shot, and you never know, I might hit the jackpot! Fingers crossed!
And thank you, I wish you and your family a merry one and a very happy new year!
Cheers! :D(y)

Might I also suggest looking towards charitable projects where you might pick up some bench space, or volunteer with them. Usually find they have the machines and better relations with suppliers, tools timber and the like. Plus it gets you to meet like minded people and make connections.
Sometimes setting up a workshop by yourself is a difficult and expensive business, but setting up with a couple of other makers can give more scope- everyone has something to bring- tools,machines or even, and this i think most important is that surrounded by designers, you get more ideas yourself.
Great ideas, absolutely love them! Thanks for all of your help Triton, I really appreciate it! :D(y)

Kim up your local men's shed or wood recycling charity.

They always want more members and younger ones are especially welcome!

Most will be doing stuff online.

Do you have any family members who have a garage you could use?

Cheers James

Thats a cracking idea, I often go to one in Leicester called 'Just Wood' to buy bits n bobs, never even thought about asking them!
No garage available unfortunately, but I built a little 8x6 shed over the summer, and have made it into the worlds tiniest workshop :ROFLMAO: I'll guess that will have to do at the moment, but we all have to start somewhere I guess!
Thanks again for the great advice, really appreciate it! :D(y)

Get a map of were you live, pencil and compass.

Draw a 10 minute, 20, 30, 40 minute circles.

Write a good email, (such as you've done already).

Do a mail shot to every tradesman / workshop/allied trades, within those circles.

Let them know that you'll knock on their doors in the new year. (they will be more lightly to open the door AND be talkative, especially if they know your not the tax man).

You'll get a start,............... and if you don't, they will keep your number for casual/daily work when they are short handed.

Worked for me :cool:

Thats such a great idea, absolutely love that! I'll have to make some little leaflets and become a postman for the day!
It's all worth a shot at the end of the day!
Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it! :D(y)

Back