Frame & panel chest question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

This should be a simple one for the learned members of the forum to answer. Traditionally, how would the bottom of a frame & panel chest be attached? A panel captured in a groove with muntin(s) as required? Or match boarding pinned on (with a planted moulding on the outside to hide the edges)? Or something else?

Thanks!

Nailed or screwed on boards would be common.

A frame and panel construction for a base isn't a great idea as the frame doesn't have enough support to be load bearing. Same problem applies to a base let into a groove, by the time it's dried and shrunk there might only be 1 or 2 mill of supporting material actually holding it in.

I have made largish boxes with a batten (something like 3/4" square) screwed all round the inside bottom of the box, and the 'bottom' dropped in from the top to sit on the battens. It's not very elegant, but done with care it's invisible from the outside, and fairly strong.

There's a pair of episodes of the Woodwright's Shop, with Peter Follansbee making a panelled chest.

I can't post a direct link, but go here:
http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/watc ... -episodes/

and find the episode called "Paneled Chest with Peter Follansbee", floor of the chest is discussed from 24mins onwards.

Basically the sides and the front are grooved to take the bottom pieces, which are tongued and grooved, and the final piecs is a T+G wedge that locks the rest together.

E.

custard":qtzd1ptc said:
Nailed or screwed on boards would be common.

A frame and panel construction for a base isn't a great idea as the frame doesn't have enough support to be load bearing. Same problem applies to a base let into a groove, by the time it's dried and shrunk there might only be 1 or 2 mill of supporting material actually holding it in.

Cheshirechappie":qtzd1ptc said:
I have made largish boxes with a batten (something like 3/4" square) screwed all round the inside bottom of the box, and the 'bottom' dropped in from the top to sit on the battens. It's not very elegant, but done with care it's invisible from the outside, and fairly strong.

Thanks chaps, I was thinking along those lines.

Eric The Viking":qtzd1ptc said:
Basically the sides and the front are grooved to take the bottom pieces, which are tongued and grooved, and the final piecs is a T+G wedge that locks the rest together.

E.

Hmm, that sounds a bit different. I'll have to give it a look. Thanks Eric

Latest posts

Back