Forum users' Planers & Thicknessers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just bought one of these units - really pleased with it - comments:
1. Really poor manual - Record Power (R/P) have since sent an other updated (better tho not great) copy - not sure why they can't supply this in the first place? EB website gives more info (see comment below).
2. Fence: is very good unless you move it, then the 45/90 stops don't work - way out - need adjusting each time. Not something I do very often so not a big issue.
3. Dust Collector in thicknesser mode - just doesn't (with a Sch D/C)! Anyone have an improvement?
4. 5yr guarantee is great
5. Support from R/P is very good
6. Bear in mind my very limited experience when weighting my comments!
7. Looks remarkably similar to the EB / SIP models - better guarantee tho.
PM me if you want any more info.

I have a Minimax 12" planer/thicknesser. Main reason i bought it was because of the ease of changing the blades. It takes me less than a minute to do all 3 TERSA blades. The blades are double sided too. Superb finish

Cheers

steve

shockingmoment":1j6abut7 said:
3. Dust Collector in thicknesser mode - just doesn't (with a Sch D/C)! Anyone have an improvement?

I have the Axminster Perform version of this machine and could not get the dust collection 'thingy' to fit in thicknessing mode, so I made my own from scrap bits of timber and a plastic dust collection fitting, all held in place with two small clamps.
Dscn3855s.jpg

Dscn3858s.jpg

Works quite well. Note there is a bit of foam rubber stuffed in the slot of the blade guard, give a better suck on the path though the cutter head.
When machining wide boards, you do have watch that the long shavings don't get caught on the fitting, I have only had a problem with full width sycamore doing this.

I have a Scheppach HMS260ci with a HTC mobile base.

Generally I'm very pleased with the ease of operation and the finish. Fence is good but could be a little stiffer. Shame you have to wind the table right down to change modes but it's no big deal (and I guess that's not unusual).

With deep cuts on wide boards the dust chute can get blocked as there are little metal flanges across the aperture. I suspect these are to prevent one loosing one's pinkies!

I'm proud to have the Perform CCNPT planer/thicknesser, as shown in the picture a couple of posts before me.

I've been very pleased with this purchase having recieved it £100 cheaper in Axminster's summer sale! ;D
For the amount of work I really use it for (very little now, quite a bit in the lovely summertime) it's ideal.

For a machine at the 'cheaper' end of the market, you could easily do a lot worse. It never dissapoints me. :)

Now, if only I can get myself a PROPER straight edge so I can set the planer tables level and do away with that bleedin' SNIPE!!

Am I the only one who has a Tendo P/T with a Slot morticer.

I bought it on EBay.

I do not use the slot morticer, I find the planer / thicknesser quite adequate for my needs, I have just finished planing 30 board foot of american white oak without a hitch.

The 3 knives are easily changed and set.

It is a very solid machine with a cast iron bed.

It will take a 10 inch wide board through the thicknesser.

only problem is the fence which must be checked with a square for 90 degree setting before using the planer, there is no guage to set it.

I paid about £480 for it 2 years ago new, in the screwfix catalogue about 6 months previous cost was over £900.

For the money I paid , I am quite happy

I own a Rockwell/Beaver jointer that we got in South Africa. It similar to the jet machines in axminister. It is 6 inch but has a 2.5HP induction motor powering it and gives a beautiful finish. :p

I`ve owned the Electra Beckum HC 250 for ten years now and I think it`s a superb planer. I bought mine for £420 then, money well spent. Had no trouble with it all those years. I also own a Coronet Soveriegn 4 1/2" planer ( photo ) with overhead thicknessing attachment. I purchased this machine just before Record Power bought the company. This machine can thickness a piece of wood a mere 4" long. Very handy machine to have, glad I bought it.

planer.jpg

Casadei FS410 16 x 9in planer/thicknesser with 4-knife cutter block and 5.5HP motor (about 20 years old). Superb machine, but change-over between functions not as quick as I'd like.

Used to have a Startrite (Robland) SD310 12 x 7in p/t with 2-knife cutter block and 2HP motor. I'd say it was competent, robust and not much to go wrong that can't be fixed by a competent spanner twirler.

Scrit

OK
I am in the market for a new thicknesser. I have decided to go for either an Axminster CT330 or a DeWalt 733.
As these appear to be the most popular choice of forum members can you please tell me what features you like or dislike about your particular version of these models. They are roughly the same price and specification so please tell me the worst, or best as you see it!
Cheers.

SF

Can't fault the Jet 310, 3 blade cutter block, 3 HP motor and the change over between thicknessing and jointing takes aboyt 30 seconds. Good feed rate and excellent finish on the stock.

Highly recommended, its the type of machine you only buy once.

Thanks Waka.
I am sure you are right and Henry will be proud to know that you are fighting his corner. But......I only need a thicknesser at the moment, rather than a combined machine.
I was wondering what made those who have the aforementioned DeWalt or Axminster machines spend their cash on those particular ones.

Damn good bit of kit though, isn't it (Jet make some good stuff IMO).
Cheers for the moment.

Now where is everybody?

SF

SF,

Maybe a nice mod could split your enquiry off into a fresh thread in Buying Advice? Or you could re-post there; might get more notice.

Cheers, Alf

Thicknesser = Delta 560 (labelled 565 with leg kit..) was tempted by Dewalt 733, but the Delta was £80 cheaper at the time, none the less an excellent machine.
planer = SIP 6" model no?? cast iron ,bloody heavy...but saves the arms from aching except when picking it up to put away :lol:

Sheppach again, the remains of a combination machine......about 24 years old now, bought as an ex-demo machine. Various plastic bits broken, ie: the thicknesser wheel now repaired 3 times and the cover to the drive belt stuck together with duct tape ! Only on it's 3rd pair of blades and with original drive belt - excellent machine, powerful and accurate.

Chris

As of yesterday, a Perform CC10T thicknesser and an Axminster WP150 planer. Not tried the planer yet, but the thicknesser certainly seemes to do the job (based on having a very quick play with it before the temperature drove me back into the house).

Latest posts

Back