Forum users' Planers & Thicknessers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had my SIP planer thicknesser 6 months. The same blades as supplied still in use, but scale is now over cutting by 1 mm. No real hardship as I just compensate by setting depth 1 mm deeper.

Neil, you can finally put me down for an Axminster CT150 planer :D
I am taking delivery of it this evening.

Next will be the Delta Thicknesser 22-560 :wink:

neilcfd-bubbly.jpg

Congratulations, CYC

I know you've been waiting a long time... enjoy it! :D

NeilCFD

I have a Charnwood Thicknesser, very simular to the Axminster CT344, my only other experience is with a delta, and i think the finish is as good.

Bean

I have just taken delivery of my Record PT260. :D

It is b****y heavy! :shock: I am going to have to enlist the help of one of my neighbors to get it out of it's box and onto the cabinet stand.

Initial impressions are good, apart from the manual, which is up to Record's usual standard - i.e - cr*p! It contains the bare minimum of information, together with some indifferent quality pictures. Fortunately most of the information you need is available on their website. What beats me is the fact that someone has taken the time and trouble to write detailed setting procedures for the knives etc, so why don't they put it in the manual? It is all well and good putting the info on their website, but I am sure there must be a large proportion of their customers who don't have access to the web. :roll:

Anyway, rant over - guess what I will be doing this weekend! :D

I managed to put it together on my own, but as you it is bloody heavy - they say 75kg (11stone) for the main unit - so you have to be careful lifting it on your own.

They talk about removing the cover plate screws to enable the infeed table to be attached - what you have to do is remove the screws, and then prise off the cover plates themselves very carefully as they are each still held on by a pair of some kind of metal cylinder with a lengthwise split in it (I'm sure they have a proper name). You then attach the infeed table via the very long adjustment screw and replace the plates (tapping in these metal split pin thingys) and the screws. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but it got me stumped for several minutes...

So far I've successfully tried the thicknesser, but I need to raise the blades to get the planer to work properly. You guessed it - I'll be using the instructions on the RP website.

HTH,

Pete

Be sure to let us know what you think when you've had a good run with them.

I was very impressed with the demo I had at the D&M Tools show last week and came very close to buying on the day. Still pondering... :)

I've got the E/B HC260 - it's served me well enough, but I'll be upgrading to seperate planer and thicknesser in the new year (I'm rather hoping I might find some decent 2nd-hand Felder gear on sale somewhere nearby - especially since Austria is only just down the road !)

The blades on the E/B are a bit of a pain to set, and snipe can be a problem (but I just leave a few extra inches on the end of the board to cope with that).

Also found I do need to keep the thicknesser plate well waxed otherwise wood (especially heavy oak boards) start sticking.

I have had the Axminster CT150 for almost a year and found it to be exellent in its use, the 3 blades make a real differance.
It is best used for cuts 1mm and under especially in hard woods. I would recomend this planer to anyone as it is an invaluable addition to my workshop, but if you have the extra money it is well worth considering the one with longer tables as long stock can be a bit of a bind when trying to true. I have extended the in feed table with a wooden table for really long work. The tables are easy to adjust, I havn't tryed to change the blades yet but it looks simple enough. I let the shavings fall into a box as a nieghbour has these for thier hampster. I wouldn't bother with the extraction hood as it is a bit expensive for what it is, if you want to extract from the machine then it is easy enough to make one from a 100mm spigot and 6mm ply.
Hope this is of some help, if you kneed more info don't hesitate to contact me.

I have the Perform Thicknesser and as of tommorow the Perform Planer, in fact my whole bloody workshop is yellow :)

I see there seem to be a lot of mention for the CT150 on having to make or buy a spigot. I just want to tell anyone interested in this tool that there was one included with my CT150 bought about a month ago.
Cheers.

We do have a category already - where else would I put Alf's Maxi? :lol:

I've put your Felder down, but I almost didn't, I'm so damn jealous :p

NeilCFD

I thought this was a tool thread.....

Alf's combi is her display stand... or did I miss a post somewhere..????

<duckin

Midnight":blx6cud8 said:
I thought this was a tool thread.....

Alf's combi is her display stand... or did I miss a post somewhere..????

<duckin
Tsk. Keep up there would you, Mike? The P/T half is fully used, it's the other half that's just a useful benchtop.
tounge.gif

Cheers, Alf

Tsk. Keep up there would you, Mike? The P/T half is fully used, it's the other half that's just a useful benchtop.

Ohhhh......I'm sorry... didn't see ya out with yer duster... :p :wink:

<duckin...

whatchya makin this time...???

Back