Forum users' Planers & Thicknessers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodshavings":2z0kjjlw said:
any one want to buy a Maxi Mortise attachment??
Hell's teeth, John. Don't flood the market... :wink:

Yep, it is the same problem, but no amount of locking the fence seems to cure it. The block of wood is to deal with the appalling amount of flex in the fence at the infeed end. I don't bother with it these days 'cos it's just plain quicker and easier to joint by hand. Honestly, I think even in a family of lemons I must have got the lemoniest one :cry: It's only recently, having got the Jet bandsaw fence to play with, that I've realised just how actively useful machinery fences can be, rather than a distraction from getting the job done :!:

Cheers, Alf

Wondering what I evil I did in a previous life to deserve such a citrus fruit in the workshop :?

Alf said: "it's just plain quicker and easier to joint by hand."

It might be with a LN but you try it with a clapped out Record 4 1/2 ! :wink:
(however, I will confess that now I have sharpened it properly, flattened its base etc, its a bit easier than it was !!) :)

woodshavings":r6uoetqj said:
Alf said: "it's just plain quicker and easier to joint by hand."

It might be with a LN but you try it with a clapped out Record 4 1/2 ! :wink:
No L-N jointer here, alas. But jointing edges with a 4 1/2, however lovely, is an exercise in frustration. The same task with the right plane is a pleasure. What you need is a #7, John... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

OK

My planer/thickesser is an SIP (Nottingam or Derby based company I think) copy of the Elektra Becuum HC260

If it wasn't a different colour you wouldn't know the difference - except that it cost me less than £400 brand new !!!

Had some problems getting decent thicknessing from it at first but thanks to the forum's advice it is now great.

Got a Delta 12" thicknesser too which is absolutly fantastic. Noisey but such a nice finish :p

CHeers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Is that the Delta 22-560? Both CYC and I are very interested in this thicknesser, so its good to see another positive review along with Noely's

NeilCFD

Hi Neil

Yes.

I can't fault the performance of the Delta. I bought it after reading every review I could find in all the mags. There is no snipe and the finish is good enough to use boards straight from the machine without further planing or sanding.

You can lock the cuttter head into position which really improves the finish over other thicknessers that don't lock.

Got mine from Rutlands last christmas (prezzie from wife)

Also I have not replaced the blades yet despite planing Oak, Ash and of course pine!!!

I've just bought the Delta as it was on special offer at a tad under £300 plus it's been getting good reviews/selection of choice by others on the forum far more knowledgeable then me!

Good on yer. Let us know how you get on with it.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Neil

I have the Makita 2012NB Thicknesser. I bought it for 349GBP inc vat from Terratruck, who have a branch close to my office.

If you link to their web site http://www.terratruck.co.uk it redirects you automatically to http://www.toolsdirectonline.com/

The price on the site shows 387.75 but i spoke to the guy at Terratruck and he price matched 349 from, I think, Practical Woodworking. I don't know where they got the price from, but it did say offer.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Roger,

I've put it down as a CT150 rather than the CT150DL as I'm sure from our correspondence that this is the one you went for in the end - please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Neil

Charnwood W570 12.5" Thicknesser

Perform CCJ Planer Jointer

Both arrived this week, have managed to set them up, but not really played with them yet. Roll on the weekend!!

Hi Neil

It the Record RSPT 260.

The big problem I find is the setting up of the knives. The instruction book that came with it is not clear at all on how to do this. And to the best of my ability following the instructions means that the knives end up to proud.

Was giving me a lot of heartach in the early days, I then found a right up on the web on how to set up knives for this model and hey presto it works fine, mind you took me a few hours to get it right.

I've noticed a lot of threads speaking about instruction manuals with tool, will they ever get it right.

Before I buy anything now I always make sure that there is s decent comprehensive manual, no manual, no buy.

Waka

Hi Bilzee

Not much fun though when you've spent hours putting it together only to find you have a bag full of nuts and bolts. been there, done that, will I ever learn?

Waka

Hi all

I have the APTC CT330 13" thicknesser and the Perform 6" planer jointer.
The Axminster thicknesser is a great tool and worth every penny, probably paid for itself already.
The first jointer I had blew up (literally) after only a coulpe of days, smoke, sparks the lot, Axminster sent a new one, had that a couple of months and so far so good.

Axminster CT150 - very good finish, very bad snipe both ends. Can't seem to cure it. Any ideas anybody?

Steve

Back