Flattening Oil Stones?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Given that my sharpening tasks contain nothing more challenging that the straight edge of a plane blade of bevelled-edge chisel, I'm happy enough using oil stones to sharpen up my tools. It's also the method I've been taught at college.

Trouble is, I only tend to buy very cheap stones - which I find do a job which is 'good enough' for the tasks I undertake (mainly involving softwoods anyway). However, on receipt of these stones (the double-sided ones) I find that each face is concaved, quite notabley.

What are your suggestions for flattening these stones before use?

Thanks again for your help.

i would buy a good quality norton stone first off. you will not need to keep buying new stones will last for years

Hi Olly.

I used to use oil stones. The way I flattened them was sand and water on a flag stone. (Flat flag stone).

Hope this is of some help.

Mr_Grimsdale":2qjro0jz said:
Do they need flattening?

Here we go again, how longs this thread going to run for? :D

My moneys on at least 3 pages.

Of course they need flattening if the hollow becomes pronounced. Not only do they need flattening but the old fashioned recipe of silver sand on a York paving stone suggests that a careful craftsman did this from time to time

Over hollow stones do irrepairable damage to the backs of chisels and plane blades, a point welll worth bearing in mind when buying old tools.

The dung really hits the fan if you allow a stone to get over hollow and then buy a new flat one.

I shall not on any account contribute further to this heresy!

David Charlesworth

Latest posts

Back