FITTING ELECTRIC COOKER (I KNOW ITS NOT WOOD )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greek Enigma

Established Member
Reaction score
been doing alot of posts lately
ok i need help this really really scares me

ok me,my young bro and mum live in a small mobile home

all the heaters are electric

just the cooker uses a lpg canister that connects outside

thing is im worried out my head (and have been the whole 9 years we been here)

im scared and want to do something

listen to why

the whole time shes been here me and my bro always smell gas when she uses the cooker
its like its faulty or something so i always turn of the canister outside when shes finished

but we have probably been exposed to gas for 9 year :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: (looked up LPG is 20 times more dangerous than normal gas british gas etc :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )
i always told her to change it but she never did

i just wish she never sold the old council house for this death trap mobile home

anyway have we permanently done something to are brains?

i was thinking to just take it out bin it

then go under the caravan and wire up a electric cooker (ide be at ease of mind at last)

i hate that lpg

HOW MUCH MORE IS ELECTRIC COOKERS TO RUN THAN LPG & GAS COOKERS?

as i so want to get one in their (plus ide be at ease of mind) i think its silly having that lpg can just for the cooker

as if electric isnt alot more to run i want to fit one (i dnt want that daym lpg anymore i wrry for me my bro and mum)

9 freaking years shouldnt we be dead? omg lol (wait why am i laughing yupppp i think it has giving me brain damage :shock: )

let me know

thanks

You seem to be on a worry-a-thon at the moment and need to relax (and not by toking on a fat one either :wink: )

If the LPG don't get ya the mdf will (hammer)

Without knowing how long a gas canister lasts and it's cost it will be hard to know if elecy is cheaper?

You do know electricity is the no. one cause of electric shock deaths in the UK?

:twisted:

Steve :D

In a mobile home it is doubtful that you will have sufficient electrical supply capacity for a "full blown" electric cooker unless you have a "full blown" electrical install.
Get the gas cooker checked out by a "mobile home LPG certified" Gas Safe entity.

Ateallthepies":1dhoichq said:
You seem to be on a worry-a-thon at the moment and need to relax (and not by toking on a fat one either :wink: )

If the LPG don't get ya the mdf will (hammer)

Without knowing how long a gas canister lasts and it's cost it will be hard to know if elecy is cheaper?

You do know electricity is the no. one cause of electric shock deaths in the UK?

:twisted:

Steve :D

lmfao i know i know its cause im trying to get everything done at the same time
and i never worried about anything until i moved into this daym thing (i meas
n place lol)

ps. quit the w**d along time ago

its the daym cigs im giving up now (finally)

NetBlindPaul":2ktzfz4u said:
In a mobile home it is doubtful that you will have sufficient electrical supply capacity for a "full blown" electric cooker unless you have a "full blown" electrical install.
Get the gas cooker checked out by a "mobile home LPG certified" Gas Safe entity.

oh daym

well its a mobile home site (guess i could find out)
well how much more are electric cookers to run than gas (if i can go that route)

my mums got a main fusebox in her room 3 spare outlets

mobile home lpg gas saftey guy? ((where do i find one of them? and how much?)

cnt i buy some tool similar to a damp tester (ya know the thing with 2 probs at the end)

but for lpg and wave it all over the cooker pipe etc?

Greek Enigma":3dyfjkfb said:
NetBlindPaul":3dyfjkfb said:

oh daym

well its a mobile home site (guess i could find out)
well how much more are electric cookers to run than gas (if i can go that route)

my mums got a main fusebox in her room 3 spare outlets

mobile home lpg gas saftey guy? ((where do i find one of them? and how much?)

cnt i buy some tool similar to a damp tester (ya know the thing with 2 probs at the end)

but for lpg and wave it all over the cooker pipe etc?

Hi

First of all, as far as I know LPG installations are subject to the same regulations as normal gas as far as the appliance is concerned. (I think the only thing you are allowed to do yourself is change over the bottles).
As said previously, you need to get a gas safe engineer out (used to be corgi) and you can get the numbers from yellow pages etc. Just ask what is the cost of a call out and check is before booking an appointment. Be aware that if he finds the cooker to be unsafe, you will not be allowed to use it until it's repaired - better than an explosion methinks :shock:

You can buy gas leak detector in liquid or spray form and it will produce a stream of bubbles if there's a leak. I find the spray is easy to use and available from B&Q etc - I also think from Screwfix / Toolstation.

cheers

Bob

Bob,
Please don't call them Engineers as that is an insult they are not and are very far from being that!
However, the rest of your post is pretty good!
I am not going to argue over the Gas Safe as far as mobile homes, caravans etc. goes however, I have been told different and until I could contact Gas Safe tomorrow I would go with your advice.
That is DON'T touch!!!

NetBlindPaul":x1g7s6su said:
Bob,
Please don't call them Engineers as that is an insult they are not and are very far from being that!
However, the rest of your post is pretty good!
I am not going to argue over the Gas Safe as far as mobile homes, caravans etc. goes however, I have been told different and until I could contact Gas Safe tomorrow I would go with your advice.
That is DON'T touch!!!

Hi Paul

Not intentional as I absolutely agree they are not engineers but that's often what they are refered as :roll: they certainly didn't go through the lengthy process you did to become qualified.

I didn't state my beliefs on the regulations to be fact but I have connections going back in to the static caravan and mobile home industry (very different industries) and the appliances used in mobile homes tend to be identical or modified domestic units whereas caravans often have purpose made cookers and fires.

cheers Bob

Lons":hxtw04wu said:
Not intentional as I absolutely agree they are not engineers but that's often what they are refered as :roll: they certainly didn't go through the lengthy process you did to become qualified.
There are two kinds of people in this world....

1. Those who do things (engineers) (hammer)

2. Those who organise and watch those who do (executives) (homer)

myturn":2olim5uy said:
Lons":2olim5uy said:
There are two kinds of people in this world....

1. Those who do things (engineers) (hammer)

2. Those who organise and watch those who do (executives) (homer)

To paraphrase Neville Shute:

'An engineer is someone who, for 25p, can make something an entrepreneur would sell for a hundred quid!' 8)

John :)

what should i roughly be charged for someone to come see if theirs a lpg leak or not?

as i dnt want my mum/me ripped off

and i was thinking if its usually alot

then it would be a better route to just wireup a electric cooker

thanks all

so your quite happy to kill yourself whan cutting mdf? you cannot put a price on safety. if you suspect that the gas is leaking! do not use it and get it checked out,

mike71":2luc1n11 said:
so your quite happy to kill yourself whan cutting mdf? you cannot put a price on safety. if you suspect that the gas is leaking! do not use it and get it checked out,

nonono

what i mean is this

if its going to cost around the same as a electric oven i might as well buy a electric oven

as this lpg cooker is pants anyway (old as hell looking)

and nothing would need testing i simply disconnect it and take off lpg canister outside

then wire up a electric oven (hopefully isn't that much more to run than gas is what i was trying to find out)

what im saying is this

if i pay someone to come see if its leaking (im thinking actual cooker has a prob) £200 or more (im guessing) for nothing

as i could just say i hate this old thing lets just go electric

and instead of paying anyone a thing it could go towards the electric cooker wiring etc

although i would like someone to tell me if it has a leak then ill know if we have been gasing ourselves all these last 9 years :cry:

that's why i thought maybe theirs a handtool i could wave around the cooker (like maybe beeps or something)

as done the fairy test on pipes etc and no prob found

anyway i hope

everyone gets what i mean

thanks

try waving a lighter around next time,if it goes pop then you have a leak :lol:

mike71":zu18opq8 said:
try waving a lighter around next time,if it goes pop then you have a leak :lol:

i allready have

joke :lol:

well i seen on tv some type of tester that looks like a damp tester

as was wondering if i could buy one somewhere

anyway ima talk all of this with my mum soon

i just think electric cooker was the best thing to do

everyone has me lost now :roll:

Tony Spear":2dnqver0 said:
Greek Enigma":2dnqver0 said:
ps. quit the w**d along time ago

Oh, really?

Possibly too late........

LMFAO MAYBE

nah its the daym mobile home

(i never thought of any probs before i moved in here)

cause old council place was built well

thanks anyway

going to ring and see what it cost to checkout

but if its alot just going to fit electric cooker and wires etc (making sure i ring to see if has electric load capable on site)

To return to the original question as per cost.
LPG is much more expensive than electricity, DAMHIK!

Roy.

Digit":nqnd161t said:
To return to the original question as per cost.
LPG is much more expensive than electricity, DAMHIK!

Roy.

Hi

thanks

but how do you know this?

so its cheaper to run a electric cooker than it is to run a lpg cooker on lpg bottles?

I have LPG heating, I chose it over oil because of the convenience. Before I made my final decsion I checked with the government's advise line.
They list unit cost per therm, LPG is the most expensive, and especially so in small quantities.
LPG is heavier than air, this makes it especially dangerous near ignition points.

Roy.

Back