First time turning still alive and hooked

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart c

Established Member
Reaction score
pull cord.jpg
pull cord.jpg
Hi all newbie from abingdon oxon here just turned a very very rough pull cord handle out of rough sawn pine with my

new toy its a 38" faithful i presume these are a chinese copy of something else but it was a year old and never used the

poor chap never got the chance only £60 with

the promise of not reselling it for profit as it was sadly from a berivment sale and they just wanted someone to enjoy it and i certainly am i'm hooked.

I have found your forum very helpfull maybe next year i will try one of the challenges after a lot more practice a long way to go yet

as you can see by the photo but i was just seeing what the chisels did you have to start some where

just wondered how many others started like this

Attachments

• pull cord.jpg
    pull cord.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,169
You were very wise to start with some spindle work. Working with pine isn't the easiest to get a good finish but if this is your first attempt it shouldn't be long before you are turning for the competition. I like the shape and the added coves, you obviously like experimenting which is good. Look forward to more from you

Pete

thank you
rain sadly stoped play before i could really get going as i have to drag it out side to use until i reclaim the shed from the wife hopefully not long before she gives in

stuart c":33o7n8bh said:
until i reclaim the shed from the wife hopefully not long before she gives in

I've heard that a jaw lock grip gets them to give in pretty quickly..... How on earth did she manage to gain possession of your shed in the first place? :wink:

Your pull cord handle looks like great start to turning btw! =D>

Andy

its got her coffin in it theres no room for anything else

note to self do not wright sarcastic comments about wife when she is reading it over my shoulder oooh the back of my head hurts

Stuart said

I solved that problem by digging a 6 foot deep hole and dropping the coffin in, result room in shed again :D

chill":24zlebkr said:
Stuart said

I solved that problem by digging a 6 foot deep hole and dropping the coffin in, result room in shed again :D

im happy to report i layed on the floor thrashed around for an hour screeming and waleing about and yes i now have the shed deep joy she gave in only took a few months of wineing

Attachments

• work shop.JPG
    work shop.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 889
Ah the thrill of starting out! You'll soon be ever alert to the sound of a distant chainsaw, ("Oooh, I wonder if I can get a bit of free wood??") and the excitement of finding out what different woods look (and smell!!) like. It's a real adventure that gets better as you go along! :)

KimG":2bgx3zy7 said:
Ah the thrill of starting out! You'll soon be ever alert to the sound of a distant chainsaw, ("Oooh, I wonder if I can get a bit of free wood??") and the excitement of finding out what different woods look (and smell!!) like. It's a real adventure that gets better as you go along! :)

or in my case like today begging at the boot sale see my latest post newbie third turning unkown wood

Latest posts

Back