How did you learn to turn?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 2016 I bought a lathe, a Record Power DML305. I wanted to learn to turn but with nobody about to ask, it stayed in its box. Determined! in 2019, I took it out of the packaging and built a stand for it, went to eBay and bought some second hand tools to get me started. First mistake, I was shafted by the kindly people there. I have never bought from eBay since.

So to YouTube, great, answered a lot of questions and got me started. Admittedly, there’s a lot of crud to wade through, but also a lot of great guys who will get you to where you want to be. Its your choice.

The small lathe was a good platform for learning but its limitations became apparent quickly. Its certainly capable of the 30cm it Is rated for and I did test this. However, I have access to large trees and wanted to produce larger pieces.

I only use a whetstone sharpening system and I love my Sorby 3/8 gouge. Just didn’t realise how hard I was working it. I knew it was worn, but havig received its replacement I can see how much.

I do appreciate the difference in character between the Sorby and the Crown and I will coninue to use both. From my personal experience, I have contacted Sorby and they have been helpful and informative. I have tried to contact Crown but I have not a repyl to my emails. Normally, I would be pineappled with them, but I will say, I have now invested in a number of their tools and for me they are mostly very good.

I have questions for them and I do hope I will get the opportunity to raise those with them.

View attachment 141279
The gouge on the right is ready to be ground into a wonderful round skew, just done exactly that and it works like a dream.

Because you've never had an issue it doesn't follow you won't have one tomorrow. They are liable to shatter.
I've heard that said before, i've tried to make them shatter by experimenting on Olive, Oak, Ipe and maple but can't seem to manage it, i'll keep experimenting.

I've used scrapers made from files and as long as the overhang from the tool rest is small then they work just fine. One wouldn't use a file as a lever so keeping this gap to a minimum. prevents it becoming one.
Whether I would be happy if all my lathe tools were old files is another matter, but for the odd one-off, specials then it's quite handy to adapt one.

No reason why it won't be fine for years, BUT when it does shatter and let go it's too late, as you only have one spare eyeball....

I'm not sure why this tangent has gone on so long.
Files are more brittle by their nature and are more prone to fracture than HSS. If you want to take your own risks, that's your position.
This was originally brought up as a safety warning, just leave it at that.
Just because you didn't get injured, doesn't mean what your doing isn't dangerous.
Others might find this information useful

But what about someone coming into your work area?
I need video evidence of a steel tool exploding whilst turning wood or it didn't happen, also, if anyone stops by to watch me turn, they are also wearing protection.

Last edited:
I've used scrapers made from files and as long as the overhang from the tool rest is small then they work just fine. One wouldn't use a file as a lever so keeping this gap to a minimum. prevents it becoming one.
Whether I would be happy if all my lathe tools were old files is another matter, but for the odd one-off, specials then it's quite handy to adapt one.
And the files i have converted are into both square and round scrapers that are used with a very light touch, the fear of my chisels is pretty low on the list of 'things to be scared of' especially after these last few years of global tyranny we've endured LOL

I need video evidence of a steel tool exploding whilst turning wood or it didn't happen,
Did you ever consider that some here on this forum might have more knowledge and/or experience at turning than you? You're simply being obstinate, while others are trying to raise legitimate safety concerns.
Let it go

Did you ever consider that some here on this forum might have more knowledge and/or experience at turning than you? You're simply being obstinate, while others are trying to raise legitimate safety concerns.
Let it go
You let it go, i've not had an issue ever, nor many of my turning friends, we all make our own tools.

My friend said you know theres always something new to learn in turning guess thats what draws me to it. Friends, online, you tube and access to books have help me along the way and are continuing too. I believe I'll still be learning till the day I hang up my last tool.

Back