First set of gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchhounds

Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking at getting a set of gouges for texturing parts, box lids etc but ive always been put off by my ability to sharpen them. I dont have tormek or the like so would be sharpening by hand. Can anyone offer any help with the issue?

Im looking at getting a set of gouges for texturing parts, box lids etc but ive always been put off by my ability to sharpen them. I dont have tormek or the like so would be sharpening by hand. Can anyone offer any help with the issue?
Really easy. You just scoop them along the stone sideways holding them at 30º angle (or other if required) twisting as you go, until you have a burr. Then take off the burr with a bit of slip stone on the inside.
Improved by polishing on leather plus autosol or similar.
I like autosol on mdf disc in my lathe headstock at slowest speed - can polish inside on the edge of the disc as well as the bevel on the face.

Whatever you do, try to avoid modern sharpening madness, there's no end to it!

PS I'd also suggest buying a gouge (or two) second hand and getting your hand in, before splashing out on a set. "Sets" tend to go largely unused IMHO.

Last edited:
And, if you don't have a slipstone (curved honing stone), a suitably sized dowel wrapped in fine sandpaper will substitute. Wet-or-dry sandpaper, or whatever y'all call it over there, lubricated with mineral spirits/paraffin, is likely best.

Back