First mitre saw, EVO SMS255+ or Bosch GCM8?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest the first thing to consider is whether you want a fixed workshop saw or a portable saw for construction work. If you will never need to move it around then hold out for a mains powered 12" saw. You can cut 4" high miters on the vertical saving the need to tilt the saw all the time. For construction work I would probably opt for a battery powered unit. I think the only another thing to consider is dust extraction - they throw the stuff everywhere. The only answer is probably to build a canopy around the saw to catch everything.

Last edited:
I would suggest the first thing to consider is whether you want a fixed workshop saw or a portable saw for construction work. If you will never need to move it around then hold out for a mains powered 12" saw. You can cut 4" high miters on the vertical saving the need to tilt the saw all the time. For construction work I would probably opt for a battery powered unit. AI think the only another thing to consider is dust extraction - they throw the stuff everywhere. The only answer is probably to build a canopy around the saw to catch everything.
Portability/size is certainly a point which I'm having to consider. Space isn't the best in my house and some tools will need putting away between/after uses. Part of the reason I'm going to whip up a larger shed along with a gazebo, it will give me more room for storage and to work on my bikes and DIY projects.

Even a 10" is getting pretty big - doable, but an 8" is a nice size.

Actually had an idea of fashioning a canopy using some old flexy fibreglass rods, some tarp and a sewing machine.

I had an Evo saw, while not top drawer quality it did a fair bit of work, but died recently. Wasn't super accurate but I didn't need that really. Felt like there was a small amount of play or maybe some flex. The back fence wasn't anything near straight but a fat rubber mallet sorted that out. On the pluses
the blade chopped ally & steel as well as wood, and it was light so could move it around easily.

I can't understand why anybody would buy a miter saw that is not 100% accurate. About as useful as a chocolate teapot. Another factor nobody considers is wear on the brushes. I got about ten years out of my Milwaukee before it suddenly stopped. The brushes were completely worn out and that was just with hobby use. I managed to find some ( for £30 ) and replaced them myself. I'd consider an induction motor next time around although they seem to be a bit low in power.

yes being 110v is the one thing that puts me off because it's definitely been on a site and possibly worked damn hard.
If that is the case and it looks like it has had a hard time then walk away, but not all 110 gear will have had a hard time on site. I use 110 gear whenever possible because I believe it is more durable and have never had a 110 volt motor burn out. My reasoning is that the manufacturer knows where most 110 gear ends up and they seem to be made more durable than the 230 volt stuff used in domestic settings. Another thing is cost, I saved £100 buying a 110 volt Makita tracksaw from Toolden compared to the 230 volt version and maybe that was due to stock levels as a lot more people give cordless a go.

My 110v voyage started with a DeWalt 5" sander new for £55. I didn't read the listing properly and I thought that for another £55 for a transformer I'd keep it - together it didn't work out much more than the 230v version and for anything that came along from there on in I had the option. It saved me the aggravation of returning it. The bargain saw - I didn't realise another transformer came with it, and a new 110v Festool jigsaw for £130 followed. The chap I bought the saw from worked with power tools all his life and told me he'd never burned out a 110v motor, but loads of 230v ones. There is an argument as well that 110v stuff is less likely to get stolen.

Also found a Makita ls1219l 240v with stand £375 BNIB. Very, very good price, maybe too good infact 🤷 does make me wonder if it's stolen though judging by the sellers brand new slightly dodgy looking Facebook profile

More than I'm looking to spend and much bigger than what I've been looking at but it's really hard to turn this down considering the Makita stand comes with it.

edit; gotta be a scam. seller has items listed all over UK, saw in Stoke, DJ deck in Canterbury, DJ deck in Newcastle. account made in 2023, photos with timestamps from 2018. do not trust.

Last edited:
+1 for GCM 8. Brilliant accurate Bosch. Bought mine from FFX but through their Ebay page at their suggestion and got I think 15% discount. Ask them…although it was a while ago.

There is an argument as well that 110v stuff is less likely to get stolen.
It used to be bad when it was much more common on sites as scumbags would target sites and vans but now there main target is cordless and I have heard that in some cases they will leave all the tools and just take all the batteries so having 110 gear now is a much safer bet.

I can't understand why anybody would buy a miter saw that is not 100% accurate. About as useful as a chocolate teapot. Another factor nobody considers is wear on the brushes. I got about ten years out of my Milwaukee before it suddenly stopped. The brushes were completely worn out and that was just with hobby use. I managed to find some ( for £30 ) and replaced them myself. I'd consider an induction motor next time around although they seem to be a bit low in power.
Dunno if that was particularly meant re my post but doesn't matter, sometimes you don't know what you got till you tried it. Sometimes you have to buy what you can afford instead of best of breed. Nowadays there's usually forum posts & feedback on everything under the sun so it's easier to get an idea.
For my uses chopping box section steel or ally, super accuracy wasn't needed. Welding workshop stands & tables, door security bars, car bits or fence parts, t&G etc - didn't need to be dead on every time.
The lower cost and multi-material blade were important at the time, think it was the only one that could cut steel/ally and wood in one. Might be wrong. It was both 2-in-1 and affordable anyway.

Bought mine from FFX but through their Ebay page at their suggestion and got I think 15% discount. Ask them…although it was a while ago.
Just check the figures, i know FFX put the prices up on ebay and so you may not get 15% , i was looking at a dewalt table saw and on ebay it was still 4% cheaper, but NOT the 15% , because of the hike in the main price compared to FFX price .........

Looking to pick up my first mitre saw today/tomorrow. I need something which can make perfect crosscuts & mitres and feel a powered saw would be better than a mitre box. Fast, easy, theoretically accure when calibrated. Also useful when I build a new shed in months to come and for renovations when I buy my first house in next few yrs.

Right now it will be used to make furniture, trays, etc to learn the skills and as a hobby, so accurate cuts for joints are important

I've been looking at two:
Evo SMS255+ at £180
Bosch GCM8 at £330

Evo is the best recommended saw at the entry level and has plenty of features, a big 255mm multimaterial blade and 2kw - lots of cutting power.

Bosch is actually part of their 'trade and professional' lineup. Less power, smaller blade, but it's a Bosch and more importantly is trade rated, apparently.

Considering this is my first mitre saw for doing some hobby crafts at this moment in time, do I save £170, a decent chunk of change, or spend double the money as a total beginner wanting to learn joinery?
Some thoughts: These days (now retired) I have a GCM8 and it's fine. It's probably Chinese. The motor sounds grungy, but it's not a bad tool for the money. Accurate enough and the dust extraction is very good. I bought it when I sold my DeWalt 708 300mm monster. I had it for 16 years and only replaced the armature (the part that spins inside the motor) once. It was a great saw! The guy who bought it from me three years ago is still using it and loves it. The Bosch (new) cost me what I got paid for the DeWalt. The reason to sell was so that I could move the smaller Bosch on and off sites with ease. The DeWalt was far too heavy for comfort. The weight of your saw is a thing to take into consideration if you need to move it a lot. That same weight (solidity) can be an advantage if you have it permanently installey in a mitre-saw station. If I had the time again I would have kept the DeWalt. Research well, and spend once...you won't regret it if you get it right! Good luck!

Weird I joined this site for tool advice and was considering the same 2 saws. Here’s a Reddit thread with some good suggestions.

I’m still considering the Bosch but man maths is close to convincing me that the Makita LS1019 is a better buy.

What makes you think Makita ? The Bosch is a great mitre saw but Makita makes a great tracksaw !
Makita is 10” rather than 8”.

Seems the Bosch is the best option at 8” around £300 and the Makita is the best 10” around £500.

Im going off YouTube videos. I don’t know much about saws.

Happy to go with that if it’s the better saw.

I seen a few vids on YouTube comparing them both and the Makita seemed to come out on top in most of them.

Must have been a different Bosch in the vids looking at the link you posted. The saw was on a arm rather than rails in the vids I watched.

That Bosch saw looks really good but requires a lot of space behind it compared to the Makita.

Back