Finishing part weathered shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcookuk

Reaction score
Hi I'm after advice on how to treat my shed to a matching colour/stain.
I've just completed the build of my shed but it's took so long that 3/4 of it has weathered,a 1/4 is new and under the canopy has come up orange.
Does anyone know how I can treat it and getting it all one colour. I would like to keep it as light as possible?
Also is there a way to change the stable door colour from a mahogany to a mid oak ?
Thanks in advance.
PXL_20230728_124617581.jpg

Hi I'm after advice on how to treat my shed to a matching colour/stain.
I've just completed the build of my shed but it's took so long that 3/4 of it has weathered,a 1/4 is new and under the canopy has come up orange.
Does anyone know how I can treat it and getting it all one colour. I would like to keep it as light as possible?
Also is there a way to change the stable door colour from a mahogany to a mid oak ?
Thanks in advance.View attachment 163603
Welcome to the forum ……Your timber will fade eventually but if you want to treat it before the onset of winter then I’d be getting jiggy with a sander to try and get a more uniform shade at least on the 2 sides you can see . The mahogany door is a difficult one unless you look at some type of paint or veneer because its natural colour is darker than oak . I’m sure there will be others with better suggestions..

Clear wood preserver won’t do much to even the colour but will protect the timber
For example this:
https://www.toolstation.com/barrettine-wood-preserver-5l/p45685
Over time the appearance will even out

If you really want to even the finish out first giving it a scrub with something like oxalic acid would help with the staining.

I’d avoid sanding as would be a horrible job given the profile on the boards.

The door would need fully refinishing, I’d be tempted to remove anything flakey and then paint to a colour of choice

From the photo I’m assuming that the timber is pressure treated. I’d be inclined to take a pressure washer to it now to even out the colour difference and then use a clear coat as suggested. Then I would finish the door with a black wood stain to match the window frame.

Latest posts

Back