Which nails to use…

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodypk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve been asked to build a set of bifold, barn style oak doors to compliment an extension build at my parents house.

They want the door to somewhat match the other doors in the house so this means Rosehead nails and black ironmongery.

My question is, in oak, how do you go about using traditional nails without them staining the oak?

It’s worth noting, I’m not accustomed to using these types of fixings as this isn’t a project type I’ve tackled before - I’ve not used these nails before and I usually tread lightly should I need to use fixings in oak as I’ve had glue react with screws etc in the past and leave nasty black marks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Tom.

Many people seem to simply use mild steel rose head nails which in oak will, as you say, cause black marks or vertical streaks to develop - I guess they're not bothered about the discolouration or consider it just part of the job's character . But there are makers such as Crown Nail Company that can supply alternative finishes, such as galvanised, bronzed and hot rolled steel. Galvanised nails would be a fairly obvious choice to retard the development of black staining in the oak, but galvanised nails aren't themselves normally black, unless there's a method to blacken them prior to use - if there is I'm not aware of such a process, although other users here may know. Slainte.

Perhaps look at using a construction method where the nails are decorative rather than structural.

@pe2dave beat me to it.

galvanised nails aren't themselves normally black, unless there's a method to blacken them prior to use
I have used brick cleaning acid on galv fittings in the past, brush it on and leave for a while then rinse it off, gives a weathered look, they may go black if left longer but I've never gone that far with it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn’t realise you could get dummy rose head nails. I’ll have a look into them!

Would this still not cause the staining? I thought it was the contact between the two materials that caused the reaction.
Yes, so it needs to be taken care of? How to coat the steel, allow it to be 'embedd' / fastened to look real, without enhancing the effect?

Hi all,
I’ve been asked to build a set of bifold, barn style oak doors to compliment an extension build at my parents house.

They want the door to somewhat match the other doors in the house so this means Rosehead nails and black ironmongery.

My question is, in oak, how do you go about using traditional nails without them staining the oak?

It’s worth noting, I’m not accustomed to using these types of fixings as this isn’t a project type I’ve tackled before - I’ve not used these nails before and I usually tread lightly should I need to use fixings in oak as I’ve had glue react with screws etc in the past and leave nasty black marks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Tom.
I have used iron nails quite often with sweet chestnut that has high levels of tannin. The climate is different here but I haven't had problems with staining.

Back