Finally got to use my compass plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoinerySolutions

Established Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I needed one but could not find one. I had used both a hand one and an electric one, Virutex I think made it, once before.
I eventually managed the job with belt sanders and scrapers, but still wanted one.
Please Santa can I have one, I said one day and my lovely Suzy got me one as an early pressie, :D
Well all this time later it has had it's first taste of action in my hands, though from it's look and blade condition it had not seen much action anywhere else! Works very well, made by Record and is a pleasure to use.
Hand tool fetishist? Yep. Right down to my quirk router that has never been used in anger. :lol:
We found both at [ http://www.oldtools.co.uk ] No affiliation just happy with their service and rating system for quality of goods.
Rob.

I once thought I needed one to clean-up the inside of a Krenov style, coopered door.

I suppose it would have been nice for the job, but I reckoned that cleaning up the cross grained surface afterwards would still require a round-soled plane along the grain, so I never bothered. I wish I had now.

A non-woodworking friend has come by one, and he has realised what they are worth. I think he's headed for eBay! I am going to twist his arm and see what pressure I can exert...

Cheers
John :D

Good luck with the arm twisting! :D Some are asking silly money for them
but when you find an old but good condition one like the Record 020 at around £80 to £100 it is a bargain. Now I have mine I have stopped looking for them so have no idea what the market price is now.
What I can say is that it fits very comfortably in the hands and can be used one handed with ease. It is also far quicker than using spoke shaves,
another tool that I enjoy using but tend to reach for the plane first. The throat tends to clog on this job as it is cedar cappings to a garden and all sopping wet but I suspect mine would too in a similar situation :lol:
atb Rob.

Back