Charcuterie board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a charcuterie board out of an offcut of cherry. We made some outdoor benches for a garden build and when I trimmed the ends we had some decent chunks leftover
I resawed one of the chunks and ended up with what I think might be bookmatching?

1000014172.jpg

1000014173.jpg

1000014176.jpg

Anyway, I glued them together and made a a little handle to finish it off. I was inspired by the idea of bow ties, the ones used for joining cracks in timber. We needed one in the cherry bench and so I had a go and it came out pretty good, that got me thinking I could use a similar shape for the handle.

Action pics of resawing
1000007523.jpg

Finished in tung oil. I'm really happy with it as one of my first projects it's come out well.

Here is the original cherry bench
1000007498.jpg

1000007505.jpg
1000007507.jpg

1000007510.jpg

Can anybody see the mistake?

Martin

No, no! Definitely not! 😁 A mistake! What's one of those? I understand features and opportunities but mistakes alludes me. Definition please. 🤣

BTW What's the little square to the left of the bow tie in the last picture?
The little square is indeed the mistake, sorry I mean the feature 😀
When I was routing it out I couldn't see what I was doing and overshot my marking. I simply turned it into another feature.

@Molynoox have you photoshopped out the legs :unsure: and are they building a fly over, with those mahoosive Oak frames...
no, we installed metalwork to support the tops and create a floating look.
we used thick steel and created L brackets that pass right through the wall and are fastened down the rear face into the wall.
you can just see them on the first pic

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I'm going read up on how those joints are done - I've used a hoffman router but that leaves rounded off pits, did you square the corners out with a chisel?

Most people mark out a bow tie….hogg out the centre with a router fitted with a straight bit, then finish off with a chisel - myself included.

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I'm going read up on how those joints are done - I've used a hoffman router but that leaves rounded off pits, did you square the corners out with a chisel?
Yeah, I used a chisel to finish. I also got the edges/outline pretty good with a sharp knife before doing the routing too. I'll see if I can find a picture.

1000007503.jpg

1000007504.jpg

Took a quick glance and thought you'd intentionally made a beautiful Japanese mountain scene with a solitary cloud.

Back