finally finished !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper Homminga

Established Member
Reaction score
Luytens_iso.jpg

finally finished!

I thought it would be nice to show my transitional piece in the hand tools forum rather than the projects forum.
Why? Wel I started this project like :norm: finished it with hand tools (we need a galoot emoticon).
That's likely why it took me four years to complete.:oops: It's a Luytens bench made from chestnut.
I added an extra curve in the lower back to make it more comfortable. The originals have a straight
back, easier to make but jolly uncomfortable. I tried to capture the curve in this side view picture, but
the picture above shows it more clearly.
Luytens_side.jpg

Lots of mortise and tenons joints in this one (90-ish), some shoulders at 90 degrees most at some
other angle, some straight some curved. Not all executed equally well, but overall I am happy with it.
Luytens_joints.jpg

It is delightfull to sit on.
Jasper

Jasper,

That is an absolutely wonderful piece of work - you should be very proud of yourself.

I have been eyeing up that project for ages, as I really fancy having such a bench, but I am afraid that it is so far beyond my meager skills as to be unthinkable for some time yet.

Gary

Bravo. That looks a great piece.

Adam

Now that's definitely something that is going to be in the family for a few years to come, congratulations on a project to be proud of.

Are you leaving it 'natural' to take on natures patina or applying a water resistant oil etc.

Congratulations Jasper,

marvellous bench

4 years! Unbelievable. One of my friends built a kitchen mainly with handtools. It took 2 1/2 years if I remember correctly.

Bernhard

Thank you all for your kind words.

The hardest part was fine tuning the horizontal parts in the back; if one is too long there are gaps everywhere :?
Another thing was letting go of the drawings I made. The number of joints in this thing is so large that it became easier to work from the work (assemble the thing, take your measurements, make the piece, put it in, next piece ...etc...).
As to the finish, I don't know what finish it will get. When I started this bench we had a garden with a perfect spot for such a bench. Now we have a different house & garden and it has no spot for such a bench. I gave the bench to my inlaws, so the finish is their call. I would have let it age, but I think my inlaws will put oil on it.
Four years for a bench is a tad long (well OK it's ridiculously long :oops:), but it wasn't a fulltime affair. I built a toolcabinet, a table and some smaller stuff for the new house in between.

Again thanks for the kind words,
Jasper

Lovley job Jasper, and I thought 2 years for a cabinet was a long time :lol:

Back