Figure of 8 fasteners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find somewhere that supplies figure of 8 fasteners for table/desk tops in the UK but I've drawn a blank. Can anyone help?
I usually make my own buttons but I don't think I'll have enough access to use them for my current project. If anyone has any other suggestions for fasteners I'd be grateful for your thoughts. Thanks, E

No figure 8s but Isaac Lorddo flat stretcher plates that allow for wood movement items 316 & 317.

Not too hard to make your own from a strip of brass, just needs a file & drill.

Jason

Thanks Jason! Hadn't occurred to me to make them :roll:

I was wondering how strong figure-8 fasteners actually are? I would think they are nowhere near as strong as wooden buttons or the stretcher plates. Are they really just to 'tack' the top onto a carcass? The pedestal desk I'm making will be pretty heavy once its assembled and I'm not convinced brass figure 8 would be strong enough to be able to move the desk by lifting it by its top. Would buttons be the traditional method of attachment? Any thoughts??? Thanks, E

The off the shelf figure eight would be a bit flimsy but if you made your own from say 1/8 x 1/2" brass they should stand the loads of the table being lifted by the top etc.

Should be able to get the brass from Turtles basement if not I can give you links to a few sites, then again one of the old boys in turtles will probably have a box of figure 8s tucked away at the back of a dusty shelf :wink:

Jason

Thanks Jason! Ironically I realised that I had some strips of brass from Turtles which I bought for another project but didn't use :oops: . They are only 1/16" thick - I don't think they had any thicker, but I'll pop in there and have another poke round.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220112-174627_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-174627_Samsung Internet.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 15
I hope Edmund was able to find the fasteners in the nearly five years since he originally asked. :LOL:

Back