Trend T8EK router stiff mechanism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning
Having made my own router tables the last three times I decided to purchase the Trend WRT and Trend T8EK dedicated under table router when My current under table router, a Trend 9 gave up the ghost.
Im not disappointed with the table but the winding mechanism to raise and lower the router through the table top is so stiff and difficult to wind up its impossible to use the winder they supply.
Ive checked that the locking mechanism isnt on, and put some lubricant on the threaded bar that mover the router up and down to no avail.
In the end I have resorted to using a drill holding the supplied winder.
Im just worried there is something Im missing?
The router does weigh heavy but on some videos there dosn't seem to be as much effort winding the router up and down and I didn't have this problem with the old router.

I have sent mail to Trend but just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem

Any advice for an old fart would be appreciated.

Morning
Having made my own router tables the last three times I decided to purchase the Trend WRT and Trend T8EK dedicated under table router when My current under table router, a Trend 9 gave up the ghost.
Im not disappointed with the table but the winding mechanism to raise and lower the router through the table top is so stiff and difficult to wind up its impossible to use the winder they supply.
Ive checked that the locking mechanism isnt on, and put some lubricant on the threaded bar that mover the router up and down to no avail.
The router does weigh heavy but on some videos there dosn't seem to be as much effort winding the router up and down and I didn't have this problem with the old router.

I have sent mail to Trend but just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem

Hi,

I’ve got the equivalent DeWalt router at work fixed to a router table.
I can confirm it’s quite stiff to adjust, which is probably due to the stiff springs required to work against its weight when stood on its baseplate.

A popular thing years ago with the old Ryobi 1/2” was to remove the springs to reduce resistance when inverted.

Probably quite easy to remove as they’re inserted through the baseplate.

https://canadianwoodworking.com/techniques_and_tips/router-spring-removal-for-dewalt-625/

Morning

I purchased both the Trend WRT and T8 to go with the table, I'm a complete novice but can work out instructions and all I can say is that in my opinion they do not work together for that exact reason that you are experiencing.
I mounted mine as per the instructions, setup the plunge depth then allowed for the adjustment, all went well for the first trial and then all of a sudden the adjustment became unusable, I undid the adjustment again and rewound up to the a point only to find that the adjustment became locked again. I did use a bit of brute force and with a loud crack the adjustment top nut sheared off the threaded bolt.
Long story short received a replacement, mounted it again with my buddy helping out this time but exactly the same, you get to a point and it will not raise the router any further, I didn't go ham fisted again and just tried to figure out why this is happening.
With my mate watching underneath the table the router gets lifted skewed, watching the threaded bolt move the brass locking nut gets pulled off central so when looking down on it you can see it is getting pulled to one side.
If you plunge the router again to take up the slack it realigns the threaded bar and will wind the router up, I'm obviously not going to be doing that everytime I need to make a router bit changer or take the router out of table to use free hand so I'm writing to trend today to express my opinion and see what they will offer as a solution or I will ask for a refund on both router and table.
I have videos of the operation which I will send to them to support the issue, in my very limited experience it is a design flaw. Will let you know how I go on

I purchased both the Trend WRT and T8 to go with the table, I'm a complete novice but can work out instructions and all I can say is that in my opinion they do not work together for that exact reason that you are experiencing.
I mounted mine as per the instructions, setup the plunge depth then allowed for the adjustment, all went well for the first trial and then all of a sudden the adjustment became unusable, I undid the adjustment again and rewound up to the a point only to find that the adjustment became locked again. I did use a bit of brute force and with a loud crack the adjustment top nut sheared off the threaded bolt.
Long story short received a replacement, mounted it again with my buddy helping out this time but exactly the same, you get to a point and it will not raise the router any further, I didn't go ham fisted again and just tried to figure out why this is happening.
With my mate watching underneath the table the router gets lifted skewed, watching the threaded bolt move the brass locking nut gets pulled off central so when looking down on it you can see it is getting pulled to one side.
If you plunge the router again to take up the slack it realigns the threaded bar and will wind the router up, I'm obviously not going to be doing that everytime I need to make a router bit changer or take the router out of table to use free hand so I'm writing to trend today to express my opinion and see what they will offer as a solution or I will ask for a refund on both router and table.
I have videos of the operation which I will send to them to support the issue, in my very limited experience it is a design flaw. Will let you know how I go on
Update.
After taking the router out and wire brushing the thread, and then a light oiling it now works fine.
However Trend have a good technical deparment for help and Id start there by fireing off an e mail stating the problem. They will replace the router no problems.
Did you by any chance use the setting bar in the chuck to ensure the router was in the correct position with the reduction rings in the plate?
And as an after thought you do have the plate the right way round.

Back