Why can't I buy z-clips or Figure 8 Fasteners in Ireland?!?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm searching in vain online to buy Figure 8 fasteners or z clips in ireland or online that ship to Ireland.

I need to attach seats to stools (all hardwood) and would like to use one of these fastening methods. For some reason the sites that have these fasteners seem to be US only and don't ship to Ireland, or cost so much to get here that it's not worth it.

Does anyone know where to get these fasteners in Ireland? Or should I secure the seat to the stool using a different method? I'm trying to allow for wood movement by using these fasteners.

Thanks
Owen

Are you able to get eBay or Amazon purchases easily in Ireland, there seems to be lots of choice on those sites

Last edited:
You can get them off Ebay for about €5 a packet - from China of course. I occasionally order a packet of items from Rockler in the US. If you use an Addresspal account they will ship a package under 20 kg for €15.99 + vat and customs ( if over €150. ) It seems expensive but Rockler quality is good and you can stock up on all those knick knacks not readily available here.

Are you able to get eBay or Amazon purchases easily in Ireland, there seems to be lots of choice on those sites
I’ve searched Amazon a lot. Normally anything available in UK is available here too.

I haven’t looked at eBay to be honest but in all my searches options with eBay haven’t come up.

You would think sites like screwfix would have them but no. Strange and annoying!!

I bult a heavy oak table 30+years ago and held the top down with hardwood blocks (cleats) a block with a small tongue that fits a slot in the frame. Why use metal fittings when these cleats are so easy to make?

You can get them off Ebay for about €5 a packet - from China of course. I occasionally order a packet of items from Rockler in the US. If you use an Addresspal account they will ship a package under 20 kg for €15.99 + vat and customs ( if over €150. ) It seems expensive but Rockler quality is good and you can stock up on all those knick knacks not readily available here.
This is a good idea. I signed up to AddressPal just now. The shipping from Rockler to the AddressPal address in the US is 8 dollars for one small pack of Figure 8 Fasteners. Add 16 euro to get it to my home address using AddressPal. Yeah it makes sense to buy in bulk. I can get 4 packs of Figure 8 Fasteners and 4 packs of Z-Clips for the same shipping cost effectively. And now that I am on the website I am seeing lots of knick knacks I'd like to own!!

I bult a heavy oak table 30+years ago and held the top down with hardwood blocks (cleats) a block with a small tongue that fits a slot in the frame. Why use metal fittings when these cleats are so easy`
I saw this done on one website but discounted it as the z-clips kinda jumped out as a long term solution. Maybe it's something worth looking into.

Should the cleat be one piece of hardwood or two pieces held together with the screw that secures the seat?

Any tips on the size of the slot (dado) for the cleat to sit into?

This is a good idea. I signed up to AddressPal just now. The shipping from Rockler to the AddressPal address in the US is 8 dollars for one small pack of Figure 8 Fasteners. Add 16 euro to get it to my home address using AddressPal. Yeah it makes sense to buy in bulk. I can get 4 packs of Figure 8 Fasteners and 4 packs of Z-Clips for the same shipping cost effectively. And now that I am on the website I am seeing lots of knick knacks I'd like to own!!
They will include a catalogue with a discount code for your next purchase ! Often you can get free post to a US address as well ( including Addresspal ) It's hard to browse the catalogue without wanting to order all those 'must haves '
You get on online bill from An Post and having paid that, delivery is about a week.

Last edited:
MoorzKK, Usually made from one piece hardwood, groove normally 4mm (I use a biscuit jointer or a router with slot cutter). Easiest way to make cleats is to use a piece of timber however long you need and around 50mm wide, size depends on number of cleats, run it across a saw to form the tongue or router and then crosscut into pieces. Drill and countersink. My dining table,oak refectory with 50mm thick top has about 10 cleats (or buttons if you will!) and it is very solid, yet easy to remove top to move the table.

Thanks Mickjay. They are currently unavailable on Amazon.

But it’s interesting to see the description as “picture hooks”. When I’ve seen this description in the past I have thought they wouldn’t be strong enough for stools or tables.

You are happy with them? I might widen my search so to include picture hooks.
That's strange, I've just looked now and it says they have 11 in stock, perhaps it's because you're in Ireland? I've had no issues with them, they are fairly robust so are working fine for me. Good luck with your search.

Don't know where in Ireland you are, or if this helps, but I am in N.Ire (Co Down) and could order them to my address and post on to you if you pick up the costs.
Getting some stuff from Amazon has been a pain since Brexit, certainty anything containing a blade or a battery, although I did recently buy a (faulty) Faithfull plane from them.
I'll be ordering some stuff later this week if that suits

Don't know where in Ireland you are, or if this helps, but I am in N.Ire (Co Down) and could order them to my address and post on to you if you pick up the costs.
Getting some stuff from Amazon has been a pain since Brexit, certainty anything containing a blade or a battery, although I did recently buy a (faulty) Faithfull plane from them.
I'll be ordering some stuff later this week if that suits
Very good of you. UK residents probably don't appreciate that buying off UK websites has dried up for us here in the ROI as we are charged UK vat and then Irish vat on delivery - even on second hand goods. Customs charges also apply if the packet is worth over €150. Thank you Brexit. Curiously Irish vat is not is charged if the retailer is located in NI. Some things should not be left in the hands of politicians. :rolleyes:

They will include a catalogue with a discount code for your next purchase ! Often you can get free post to a US address as well ( including Addresspal ) It's hard to browse the catalogue without wanting to order all those 'must haves '
You get on online bill from An Post and having paid that, delivery is about a week.
Yeah I have the free post now once my my order went over about 50 dollars. This brings the whole shipping cost way down. Thank you.

MoorzKK, Usually made from one piece hardwood, groove normally 4mm (I use a biscuit jointer or a router with slot cutter). Easiest way to make cleats is to use a piece of timber however long you need and around 50mm wide, size depends on number of cleats, run it across a saw to form the tongue or router and then crosscut into pieces. Drill and countersink. My dining table,oak refectory with 50mm thick top has about 10 cleats (or buttons if you will!) and it is very solid, yet easy to remove top to move the table.
Great detail thank you.

I'm planning making 5 stools and have today made a trial stool (the components at least) out of pine to check dimensions (will likely make the 5 stools from ash or walnut). I plan on doing the joinery tomorrow (dowels) and I will use your method to secure the seat as I haven't ordered the metal fasteners yet online. If this method works well I may stay with it and not bother with the metal fasteners.

Re the slot, I assume this needs to be made on the skirts at an angle.

Back