Festool CTM Midi Vacuum.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has this model and any opinions of it

Ive been after a decent vacuum for years and have a lot of decorating to do shortly therefore I want to keep the dust down as much as possible, however it is expensive but if I don’t buy it now I probably never will.

Only thing that I’m hesitating over is that I’m reading good reviews of the Trend T33A which is also an M rated vacuum but its only about a third of the cost of the Festool so It’s a good saving which could be spent on other bits and bobs I need hence the dilemma.

Any advice on which to go for?

I can only base my experience on the older models but I had a couple of Trend vacs that only lasted just over a year each while some of Festool vacs I have are 10+ years old and still going strong.

Do you need M Class, unless you are using it on site the L class might be okay for you? The filters are the same in both the M and L class it's just the M class gives you a warning when the flow rate drops. I have read reports that this can sometimes be triggered by sanders or thin/long hoses, don't own that model myself so only repeating what I have read.

The hose on the Festool is nice, so is the Bluetooth trigger that you can fit to the end of it, that's another £40 but worth it!

I can't comment on the Festool v Trend comparison, but I do own the Festool and TBH I've found it to be fantastic.

I added the bluetooth switch which is a very worthwhile.

As above, unless you need an M class vac for site compliance, I'd go for the L and spend some of the difference on the bluetooth button. My original Festool CTL Midi is from 2006, was used daily in the workshop and onsite, and is still going strong. I added a new CTL Midi earlier in the year basically just for the bluetooth - it's that good.

The reason I was thinking of an M class extractor is that I sometimes work with MDF and only have a small garage as my workspace.

Is an L rated extractor good enough for this?

The reason I was thinking of an M class extractor is that I sometimes work with MDF and only have a small garage as my workspace.

Is an L rated extractor good enough for this?
Yes. As Doug says above, the Festool L and M class machines are essentially identical in terms of filtration etc… the only difference is the flow monitor with the audible warning on the M.

That’s great,

Thanks for all your input and I think I’ll opt for the Festool, especially as I don’t need the M class filtration and that also closes the price difference slightly.

Thank again.

Take a look at the Nilfisk Attix 33M
You'll get an M class vac with a 33 litre tub and all the features for less than an L class CTL midi with half the capacity.
A number of the vacs from Makita, Hilti and others are made by Nilfisk.
The Nilfisk antistatic hose and tools are excellent but you can use the latest festool flexi hose without issues. Systainers and Bosch boxes stack on top. The included stainless steel tools are far better than festool plastic versions.

I think the Festool vacs are very good, but the Nilfisk are better value and also high quality.
There is no bluetooth option but you can add a remote power switch to almost any tool for under £30. I've been using a DIY one with my vac for several years. Bluetooth integration only really matters if you use a cordless festool tool with the festool vac for auto start stop from a cordless tool.

Don’t entirely agree with this:
Bluetooth integration only really matters if you use a cordless festool tool with the festool vac for auto start stop ..
Of course, being able to remotely activate the vac on/off, with the Festool Remote control CT-F I, and “tidy as you go” with just the nozzle is very convenient for general cleaning Vs reaching under your bench every time. Therefore not just for cordless tools.

The OP plans to do a lot of decorating, which I assume will include a bit of sanding of walls after filling etc. For this job, in my house, I purchased the Mirka Roundy Kit, which takes 150mm diameter Velcro sanding pads - same as my electric oscillating sander. Although I had to use the rubber bung/ring thing from a spare 50mm ‘boss strap’ as an adapter to connect the proprietary 25mmx3.5m hose that comes with it.
There are of course the rectangular Festool sanding blocks that are guaranteed to fit the existing 32mm anti-static hose, but I didn’t want to shell out on a whole new range of bespoke sanding pads.
Incidentally, Abranet gauze pads are particularly good for sanding polyfiller etc, as you can wash the pads several times. Dust collection is 95%?

Another good feature of the CTL Midi is that you can reduce the power level of the suction to allow easier sanding when using one of the above hand blocks - otherwise there is too much resistance and will stick fast to the wall!
But crikey, the Mirka kit looks to be £50 on the net today, up from the £33 I paid about 12 months ago.

Many great points there @Herr Nilsson, 👍
I agree with all of them. Abranet is excellent. Mirka sanding blocks and also Mirka's tapered antistatic hoses are the best value on the market as well as being more flexible than most others except the very latest Festool ones.

You slightly missed my point about the remote control. Anyone can buy a radio remote controlled power switch for small money on ebay or bangood. These are switched on and off using a car keyfob type device. Plug any vacuum into one of these and you can turn it on and off remotely. Tape the fob to your hose or just keep it in your pocket and you can add that remote on off convenience to any shop vac. It even works with smaller dust extractors and is great with a static setup where you leave the vac in a corner plumbed into a cyclone.

The added advantage from Festool comes when you have a cordless tool with transmitter built in. That allows the tool to automatically start stop the vac. Most shop vacs nowadays have a powertool socket on the front and auto start stop when the tool draws power. This feature doesn't work with a cordless tool, so the bluetooth link simply gives back what is otherwise lost.

The advantage of the Festool bluetooth switch is it works alongside the auto power tool socket, you can turn the vac on and off with the bluetooth switch or it comes on automatically when you turn on a power tool which is plugged in to the power tool socket.

If you use one of the plug in type remote sockets for the vac you lose the auto power tool socket function as you have to turn the vac on with the remote fob every time, first world problem I know!

Another consideration on the festool Bluetooth Vs china power fob... I have heard of two instances of the fobs having a mind of their own and turning the vacuums on while owner is not even in the workshop.

Rag n bone brown being one of them, check it out on his YouTube channel.

It's put me off the fob idea personally.

Martin

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has this model and any opinions of it

Ive been after a decent vacuum for years and have a lot of decorating to do shortly therefore I want to keep the dust down as much as possible, however it is expensive but if I don’t buy it now I probably never will.

Only thing that I’m hesitating over is that I’m reading good reviews of the Trend T33A which is also an M rated vacuum but its only about a third of the cost of the Festool so It’s a good saving which could be spent on other bits and bobs I need hence the dilemma.

Any advice on which to go for?
Hello,
The price usually puts most people off buying, what does it cost,
Regards

I was in a similar position to you and bought the M class festool, it’s excellent but I find the audio warning can be annoying occasionally but can also help let you know when the bag is getting full.
TBH if I was to do it again with the benefit of experience (like you I was concerned about MDF and was ultimately the reason for getting the M class) I’d probably get the L class and save a bit of cash.
Like everyone else says, if you get a festool, spend the extra to get the Bluetooth button to attach to the hose, it really improves the usability when cleaning the bench etc.

If i could add some input to this thread, I own both M and L class and as mentioned are basically identical.
In my experience M Class is a bit of a con... until the Extractor's can remove 100% of dust at point of connection/suction then the .9 % difference in performance is a bit of a joke. Also M class requires you to use the 1 time bags as emptying the long life bag is exposing yourself to the dust it holds (which is the only reason they say the long life's are not suitable to mdf) but I've never had a problem down wind or even put a mask on while emptying the bag.
Another plus 1 for the bluetooth (£40), game changer... also a 36mm hose (£100+) ... long life bag(£100) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hello,
The price usually puts most people off buying, what does it cost,
Regards
Got my CTL Midi for £355 (VAT incl.) approx 1yr ago, from powertool-supplies.co.uk

..unfortunately they aren’t offering the 240v version at the moment, only 110v … and 36v cordless !?

For my set up, which is entirely “mobile”, the fact that I have my 4 main corded power tools in one “stack on wheels”, is very practical for me.

If my circular saw, router, doweller and sander hadn’t already come in Systainers that are able to clip onto the CTL Midi, then I don’t think I would have bought this vac. Whereas I feel that I am fully utilising all the “expensive” features it has … even down to the foot activated brake! Hmm, maybe this is because I knowingly bought expensive tools in the first place, but when tool ecosystems work .. they work!

I would consider upgrading to the cordless version in the future, but only if it becomes self-driving/autonomous, or I can charge an EV with it. While I’m at it - why not add a talking AI agent that tells you “you missed a bit!” and gives you feed back on the efficiency of your cleaning, in a German accent of course! 🤣

Back