Festol TS55 Or Good Circular Saw and Guide Rail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry but maybe because you only read my post you took the wrong point.
i stated that their returns were only 0.75%, not roi but the actual warranty returns.

that and the other figure i got from retailers who are prepared to trust me enough to give me the figures.

as for quality, i have a mafell ksp40, and know the quality, i have also
rip cut a lot of cherry with a festo ts55, and know from personal experience the quality of cut there, so i have practical experience of what i state. i know of others with the ez system who are happy with that too.
my only concern is the accuracy of many cheaper far eastern made saws,
not the rail system.

many yellow branded tools are made in china these days, and there is certainly a thread running through most conversations that some well known brands are not what they were. to compete in the price bracket that some previously respected brands now want to, they have to make the product more cheaply, and it becomes a merry go round.

to me the cost is not the expense, it is the time i have to do without any product that does not do what it says on the tin for a reasonable period,
be this a car, vacuum cleaner, or power tool and accessories.

reading other posts you will find complaints about a number of qualities of other products, including not caring about dust extraction, eccentric chucks and noisy bearings. whilst neither mafell, festo, or fein, all of which i either own or have practical experience off are perfect, they are all a step above the common or garden, and therefore are likely to get praise for going the extra yard.

obviously these are my opinions, but they are at least based on knowledge of some of the items i have mentioned. and i do believe that the ez is a decent product, just that it is easy to assume that an accurate rail and a cheap saw are going to provide the same finish as a unit designed to go together as one system.

paul :wink:

Paul

I have an idea ( well one that Roger Sinden would have done with his Festo saw and rail ).

I will get your mandolin done and we can test the EZ with the two saws I have.
This one is my main saw and I have a 235mm B&Q saw which cost me £35 and is used for solid that is thicker than 40mm, which is what my main saw will cut on the rail.

We can do some test cut and as you have seen the Festo and have a Mafell saw and rail, we can see how well it cuts.

One thing is that I only have a 24 tooth blade in the B&Q one but I will try to get a 40 tooth one for the test, plus we cut still try the 24 tooth blade.

How does that sound and we can post the pic's :)

Hi psachs

If you want to test the saws and rails, try cutting veneered boards as it should give you a good idea on cut and breakout ( try cutting across the grain ).

I for one look forward to the results of your tests :)

Hi all

It is is the opinion of the moderators that psachs and Pewe are the same person.

psachs has been deleted as a member and Pewe is banned from contributing to any thread concerning EZ/Festool guide rail systems.

Thanks
Neil

Colin C":2iiywrk3 said:
I for one look forward to the results of your tests :)

So would I :D

The only point that I would add is that there are other aspects to consider when choosing a saw such as whether or not it has a plunge action or is fixed. This may or may not be important to the user. It wasn't to me...in fact I'd never even thought about it...until I used a plunge action on a Festool. So for me, a saw MUST have a plunge action (doesn't have to be festool necessarily :wink: ).

Another factor which again I found was incredibly useful, and again not experienced until using the festool, is the simplicity of blade changing. No faffing about trying to stop the blade rotating while struggling with the spanner...assuming that you were able to find the spanner in the first place.

And again I can only speak from experience as I've only used other saws such as a B&D Pro range and no doubt there are other saws out there that may/may not provide the same functionality as the Festool but this comment is based on my own limited experience and not to in any way imply, either literally or metaphorically, that said festool saw is the only aforementioned type of saw that provides said aforementioned and previously referenced functionality notwithstanding previously referenced threads in either this or any other fora. :wink:

Roger Sinden":24kzagbg said:
And again I can only speak from experience as I've only used other saws such as a B&D Pro range and no doubt there are other saws out there that may/may not provide the same functionality as the Festool but this comment is based on my own limited experience and not to in any way imply, either literally or metaphorically, that said festool saw is the only aforementioned type of saw that provides said aforementioned and previously referenced functionality notwithstanding previously referenced threads in either this or any other fora. :wink:

:shock: :D

As well as the plunge action, perfect cutting, the one thing I really like about my TS55 is the dust extraction. I have used quite a few different circular saws and have yet to come across a better system then Festools.

Cheers

Mike

Back